This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Red Wine Made Me Sick And I Dont Know Why

rutland

rutland Enthusiast

This never happened to me before, I just cant seem to tolerate red wine anymore. I used to be able to have several glasses of wine and have a good time. Now when I drink it I get nauseus, trouble sleeping, and anxious. I just came back from being down the shore and I tried to have a glass of wine again and it just sat in my stomach and then I had to throw it up.

Could it be that when you go gluten-free your body changes? Do you think its just temporary? I think that Im really sensitive right now, I can tell my body is going through a healing so maybe that is the reason I cant drink.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Im just going to give up drinking entirely. Its not worth it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I had to give up drinking entirely. It all made me sick. I have adrenal fatigue, and it's a symptom of it. I don't know whether it has anything to do with celiac or not.

hez Enthusiast

I had a difficult time drinking alcohol after going gluten-free. After about six months of gluten-free I was able to drink again. You could also have an issue with sulfites? You might want to try an orgainc wine and see if you have the same reaction. Organic wines have very little or no sulfites and none added. Hope you feel better.

Hez

skoki-mom Explorer

Red wine is heavy on sulphites. A lot of people are very sensitive to them, it might be the problem.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

My guess is sulfites. Red wine is loaded with sulfites and can cause the symptoms you described. If you ever eat dried fruit (esp. dried apricot) and feel similar symptoms its definately the sulfites.

lorka150 Collaborator

some wines have casein, if you are casein intolerant.

that, combined with sulphites, made my wine drinking days kaput!

kbtoyssni Contributor
My guess is sulfites. Red wine is loaded with sulfites and can cause the symptoms you described. If you ever eat dried fruit (esp. dried apricot) and feel similar symptoms its definately the sulfites.

I never realized that dried fruit is high in sulfities. I've been feeling kindof yucky after eating craisins recently, but different symptoms than glutening. This is more of a tightening/sore throat. And raisins often give me problems, too. Haven't noticed any problems with wine, though. Is red wine high in sulfities because it's essentially concentrated grapes? This could also be why I feel better when I eat meat versus eating a lot of veggies. //off to do some sulfite research :)

From wikipedia: "Some people are allergic to sulfites, and may have difficulty breathing within minutes of eating a food containing sulfites." Hmmmm.. may explain the tightening of the throat.

Does white wine contain sulfites? And is there a good explaination for why craisins would make me feel this way but not red wine?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

Just read that people who are sensitive to sulfites lack the enzyme needed to break it down. The body natually produces some sulfites, but I guess adding more through food is too much for the body to handle. Is it possible to do a blood test for the sulfite-breaking-down enzyme? If not, is there another way to test for sulfite sensitivity?

Nooner Newbie

Stef74, do you have any problems with yeast? A friend of mine who is yeast intolerant can't drink any wine.

Or it could be any number of things in the wine. I treated my DH to a winemaking at a local wine shop for our anniversary, and found that lots of things are added to wine during the fermentation. Yeast, sulfites, different flavorings. The wine we made was a South African Pinotage (red) and had grape puree, bentonite clay, and wood added for flavor (sounds gross, but it's a good wine!), but it varies with the variety of wine. The sulfites are added near the end of the fermentation, as a preservative.

We also found out that the more affordable, mass-produced wines are double fermented, and have double sulfites added. The person who owned the shop said that he's sensitive to sulfites and can't drink commercial red wine, but can drink reds that he makes in his shop, because it's only fermented once and has less sulfite content.

I haven't made a white yet, so I don't know what all goes into it, but I was under the impression that sulfites aren't used. I could be wrong.

Hopefully it's just temporary thing for you while you are healing. I'm staying away from alcohol for a while, just in case. Luckily the wine we're making has to age for another 6 months to fully develop its flavor.

~Li

skoki-mom Explorer
Stef74, do you have any problems with yeast? A friend of mine who is yeast intolerant can't drink any wine.

Or it could be any number of things in the wine. I treated my DH to a winemaking at a local wine shop for our anniversary, and found that lots of things are added to wine during the fermentation. Yeast, sulfites, different flavorings. The wine we made was a South African Pinotage (red) and had grape puree, bentonite clay, and wood added for flavor (sounds gross, but it's a good wine!), but it varies with the variety of wine. The sulfites are added near the end of the fermentation, as a preservative.

We also found out that the more affordable, mass-produced wines are double fermented, and have double sulfites added. The person who owned the shop said that he's sensitive to sulfites and can't drink commercial red wine, but can drink reds that he makes in his shop, because it's only fermented once and has less sulfite content.

I haven't made a white yet, so I don't know what all goes into it, but I was under the impression that sulfites aren't used. I could be wrong.

Hopefully it's just temporary thing for you while you are healing. I'm staying away from alcohol for a while, just in case. Luckily the wine we're making has to age for another 6 months to fully develop its flavor.

~Li

Just wanted to say that if you have a sulphite allergy, you need to stay away from all wines, because the grapes are sprayed with sulphites before they are made into wine. My sister has anaphylactic reactions to sulphites and she avoids ALL products made from grapes, including grape juice and rasins, for this reason. You may be able to find organic grapes that have not been treated, but apparently grapes spoil rapidly once they are harvested, so the use of sulphites is pretty standard in the grape-growing industry.

eKatherine Rookie

Red wine makes my feet swell up, but I don't have a problem with sulfites. I don't drink white wine, so I don't know if it would give me the same reaction.

rutland Enthusiast

~Li

Actually I do get reactions to yeast. I noticed this from my gluten-free bread that had yeast, I get a reaction. But my yeast free bread I do not. Also I get reactions from dried fruit esp. raisons so I must be reacting from the sulfites and the yeast. One night I went out and had a glass of champain and I felt awful. My throat felt like it swelled up and I had trouble breathing. Im feeling better now that I havent had any alcohol, and yeast. But it really is an adjustment not to have a drink or two when I go out. I didnt realize what a habit it became in my life, feeling like I needed it to loosen up. I need to change my mind set. :lol:

I never realized that dried fruit is high in sulfities. I've been feeling kindof yucky after eating craisins recently, but different symptoms than glutening. This is more of a tightening/sore throat. And raisins often give me problems, too. Haven't noticed any problems with wine, though. Is red wine high in sulfities because it's essentially concentrated grapes? This could also be why I feel better when I eat meat versus eating a lot of veggies. //off to do some sulfite research :)

From wikipedia: "Some people are allergic to sulfites, and may have difficulty breathing within minutes of eating a food containing sulfites." Hmmmm.. may explain the tightening of the throat.

Does white wine contain sulfites? And is there a good explaination for why craisins would make me feel this way but not red wine?

I get the same reaction. It feels like my throat gets tight and I have difficulty breathing. Is that called an anaphalactic reaction? Also do you ever feel like it hurts to talk or that talking makes you tired?

bluejeangirl Contributor
Actually I do get reactions to yeast. I noticed this from my gluten-free bread that had yeast, I get a reaction. But my yeast free bread I do not. Also I get reactions from dried fruit esp. raisons so I must be reacting from the sulfites and the yeast. One night I went out and had a glass of champain and I felt awful. My throat felt like it swelled up and I had trouble breathing. Im feeling better now that I havent had any alcohol, and yeast. But it really is an adjustment not to have a drink or two when I go out. I didnt realize what a habit it became in my life, feeling like I needed it to loosen up. I need to change my mind set. :lol:

I get the same reaction. It feels like my throat gets tight and I have difficulty breathing. Is that called an anaphalactic reaction? Also do you ever feel like it hurts to talk or that talking makes you tired?

If its sulfites also stay away from frozen french fries. They're sprayed with sulfites to keep them from turning brown.

Gail

lovegrov Collaborator

My wife doesn't even have celiac and red wine started doing weird things. Sometimes she'd be fine and other times one or two glasses would make her sick as a dog.

richard

kbtoyssni Contributor

I believe this is an anaphalactic reaction. I don't know much about this, but my reaction is very mild. Not sure if there's such a thing as a mild anaphalatic reaction or if it will worsen in time. I'll have to ask my doctor about this when I go on Thursday (oh, boy, she's going to love me, I have a huge list of questions!) I don't have trouble talking, just a tightness in the throat.

MistressIsis Apprentice

I have issues with red wine but I can drink the following

White Wine - primarily Pinot Grigio

Vodkas that have been distilled more than twice - Grey Goose, Kettle One etc (think high end)

I tried Shiner Beer inTexas & that didn't bother me. I had a table of people watching to see if I had a reaction. That was FUNNY!

I believe celiac.com has a list of wines/liqours etc that are approved.

OH and also there are a few gluten-free beer breweries popping up!

• 2 years later...
DYLANESQ Newbie

Sorry folks but there is so much misinformation regarding wine here that I suggest that you do some research.

1. Hardly ever is anything 'added to wine' during production. In northern growing areas (e.g. Germany- Rhine/Moselle) sugar is added as the latitude does not produce enough sugar in the wine to produce enough alcohol. Natural yeast on skins reacting with sugar(s) produces the alcohol (generally 9-14%).

2. Yeast is not added. it is found naturally on the skins. It is often mistaken for pesticides..it is that whiteish 'dust'.

3. Grapes are the only fruit that can, without the help of man, turn themselves into an alcoholic beverage. The discovery of 'wine' more than likely came from grapes left in a container and the right temperature conditions allowed it to morph into wine.

4. The amount of contact with the skins and the grape juice determines the color so this can be manipulated.

5. On a very rare occasion albumen (egg whites) is used to 'fine' or clarify the wine. Usually this is with fortified wines like Port and Sherry.

6. The wine comes into contact with oak in barrels. Oak contains tannin also.

7. Sulphites are not added, they are a natural biproduct of fermentation and all wines, INCLUDING ORGANIC, contain them.

8. Wine is a compound of very complicated, naturally produced,chemicals.

9. Cabernet Sauvignon (one of the Bordeaux grapes) naturally has a high tannin content which gives you that furry feeling/tightness in throat. I can't tolerate it and drink Shiraz (Burgundy) or Merlot (N.Bordeaux) instead. I've not had the same problems with them.

10. Red wines have the highest tannin content.

11. Tannin is an astringent* which can cause your mouth to 'pucker up' and feel dry. Strong,

utahlaura Apprentice
This never happened to me before, I just cant seem to tolerate red wine anymore. I used to be able to have several glasses of wine and have a good time. Now when I drink it I get nauseus, trouble sleeping, and anxious. I just came back from being down the shore and I tried to have a glass of wine again and it just sat in my stomach and then I had to throw it up.

Could it be that when you go gluten-free your body changes? Do you think its just temporary? I think that Im really sensitive right now, I can tell my body is going through a healing so maybe that is the reason I cant drink.

I can tolerate any really sweet wine but just a terrible reation to a dry wine. huh. Sour fruit does the same thing. What makes things sour anyway???

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Add me to the list of people who can't drink anymore, lol. Gluten free beer, and all wines have made me sick ever since I had my third child. Something changed, I have no clue what, but something changed. I can have one glass, and still have what feels like a terrible hangover the entire next day. I can handle drinks like Jack Daniels a little better (not a big drinker, so haven't tried much else), w/out feeling so sick the next day, but I still feel off, even if I have just a little bit. It's a bummer.... with four kids, it's nice to have a little nip every now and then on those rare occasions that we go out, lol.

mysecretcurse Contributor

I have some sort of weird reaction to red wine too. Sometimes but not always. I have noticed shiraz is not bad for me as well.

It's not like being glutened though. I generally don't feel too bad from wine but if I drink a lot of it I get a faint sort of red rashlike reaction on my face. I don't drink it too often.

VioletBlue Contributor

Not all dried fruits are processed using suflities. Cranapple craisins are sulfite free. They're actually a pretty pure product; dried cranberries and sugar. I don't know about other brands, but Cranapples are sulfite free. You need to read the label. If sulfites were used on the dried fruits it should be listed. Also realize any wine products like red wine vinegar will have sulfities. You also need to be careful with cornstarch. It is usually processed with sulfites. As a result most powdered sugar has sulfites in it. I've yet to find a brand of powdered sugar that does not contain cornstarch.

Sulfites are a natural result of the fermenting process in wines, but they can be added to wine as well as it effects the fermentation and taste and winemakers frequently use it to manipulate the wine. All wines, even organic ones will contain suflites. That's why if you read the label on organic wines it usually says contains sulfities as well as no sulfites added. There are some brands of organic wine that are particularly low, but you have to search them out.

Josh Parker Newbie

The reason that red wine is making you sick again, is because alcohol uses yeast in the fermentation process. Yeast is the active ingredient in wheat which makes breads rise. Fermentation is a process where the yeast breaks down the sugars and converts them to alcohol. If the wine is made from gluten free yeast, then it is probably safe. There are gluten free yeasts sold at the supermarket. It comes in a yellow and white packet.

Also be careful with drinks and soups which contain caramel coloring. Caramel coloring made in the US isn't supposed to contain wheat. Pepsi products do not use wheat in their caramel coloring according to a newsletter which I saw via the internet.

Dairy products and MSG can also produce similiar reactions... headaches, fatigue, indigestion, itching. Unfortunately, I am allergic to gluten, MSG, and lactose myself. If I eat wheat, I suffer for at least 5-7 days. Eating out is not easy for celiac sufferers.

Lisa Mentor
The reason that red wine is making you sick again, is because alcohol uses yeast in the fermentation process. Yeast is the active ingredient in wheat which makes breads rise. Fermentation is a process where the yeast breaks down the sugars and converts them to alcohol. If the wine is made from gluten free yeast, then it is probably safe. There are gluten free yeasts sold at the supermarket. It comes in a yellow and white packet.

Also be careful with drinks and soups which contain caramel coloring. Caramel coloring made in the US isn't supposed to contain wheat. Pepsi products do not use wheat in their caramel coloring according to a newsletter which I saw via the internet.

Dairy products and MSG can also produce similiar reactions... headaches, fatigue, indigestion, itching. Unfortunately, I am allergic to gluten, MSG, and lactose myself. If I eat wheat, I suffer for at least 5-7 days. Eating out is not easy for celiac sufferers.

Josh,

Open Original Shared Link Yeast is not a gluten concern. :D

Wine

Fresh grapesMain article: Fermentation (wine)

Yeast is used in winemaking where it converts the sugars present in grape juice or must into alcohol. Yeast is normally already invisibly present on the grapes. The fermentation can be done with this endogenous (or wild) yeast;[21] however, this may give unpredictable results depending on the exact types of yeast species that are present. For this reason a pure yeast culture is generally added to the must, which rapidly predominates the fermentation as it proceeds. This represses the wild yeasts and ensures a reliable and predictable fermentation.[22] Most added wine yeasts are strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, however not all strains of the species are suitable.[22] Different S. cerevisiae yeast strains have differing physiological and fermentative properties, therefore the actual strain of yeast selected can have a direct impact on the finished wine.[23] Significant research has been undertaken into the development of novel wine yeast strains that produce atypical flavour profiles or increased complexity in wines.[24][25]

The growth of some yeasts such as Zygosaccharomyces and Brettanomyces in wine can result in wine faults and subsequent spoilage.[26] Brettanomyces produces an array of metabolites when growing in wine, some of which are volatile phenolic compounds. Together these compounds are often referred to as "Brettanomyces character", and are often described as antiseptic or "barnyard" type aromas. Brettanomyces is a significant contributor to wine faults within the wine industry.[27]

Caramel color in the US is safe, unless otherwise indicated. MSG might not be too good for you, but it's not a gluten concern.

Allergies can come in all shapes and sizes, but Celiac is pretty specific.

Blondie Apprentice

Wine (especially made from grapes)g usually contains ridiculus ammounts of fructose, which celiacs sometimes react to. It might be that wine is just above your threshold for fructose (my understanding is that everyone has a threshold for fructose, intolerant or not). Just throwing out an idea

Lisa Mentor
Wine (especially made from grapes)g usually contains ridiculus ammounts of fructose, which celiacs sometimes react to.

Open Original Shared Link

Why would people with Celiac react to fructose?

Archived