This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coca-cola

Shalia

Shalia Apprentice

OK, someone posted on here (somewhere) that they wondered if the Barq's root beer made them sick. So I decided to contact Coke and find out what is gluten-free, since I'm a soda-aholic. And I got a CYA e-mail that has me all worried now.

Can anyone tell me what, if anything, I can still drink?

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company, Mrs. XXXXXXX.

We are able to confirm that Coca-Cola classic, caffeine free Coca-Cola

classic, Coca-Cola Blak, Coca-Cola C2, Coca-Cola with Lime, Coca-Cola

Zero, Barq's root beer, caffeine free Barq's root beer, diet Barq's root

beer, diet Barq's Red Creme Soda, Diet Coke Black Cherry Vanilla, Diet

Coke, Diet Coke with Lime, caffeine free Diet Coke, Diet Coke Sweetened

with Splenda, Sprite, Diet Sprite Zero, vanilla Coke, diet Coke

vanilla, cherry Coke, Diet Cherry Coke, Fresca, DASANI Lemon, Minute Maid

Light Lemonade, Simply Lemonade, Simply Limeade, POWERade Mountain Blast,

and our 100% juice products (without added ingredients) are gluten free.

Additionally, we can tell you that all of our other products meet

Codex's definition of gluten-free, which is currently less than 200 ppm

(parts per million) (0.02%) gluten. Codex is in the process of reviewing

this standard and we are monitoring the progress closely. At this time

the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not have a regulatory

definition of gluten-free.

We can assure you that the exact amount of gluten in these products is

very low - perhaps even zero. Some minor ingredients in these products

are manufactured from plants that gluten-sensitive people could react

to, so we are unable to state categorically that they are totally

gluten-free even though they may have undetectable levels of gluten in them.

The Codex guideline provides a very low threshold for gluten content.

However, extremely gluten-sensitive individuals should discuss

consumption of these products with their health care provider.

We hope that this information is helpful. Should you have additional

questions or comments, please visit our website again.

Jennifer

Industry and Consumer Affairs

The Coca-Cola Company

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

It's hard for me to determine what their other products are!!! The list of gluten-free is so long, what else do they make?

Edit-- Oh, looking back over it, I guess it's just other flavors of things listed.

Franceen Explorer

Coca Cola sodas are on all the lists I could find - as gluten-free with no caveats or conditions. That legaleeze stuff they put is probably about just about everything processed, mfg'd, packaged, or "made up" and not just raw food - UNFORTUNATELY.

I have never had a problem with any of them (Barq's, all the Cokes, Pepsi, Ginger Ale, most of the sodas, but I am not a big drinker of soda).

Shalia Apprentice

OK, so that person who wondered a while ago why Dasani could be making her tummy hurt might be running afoul of this "gluten lite" thing? Since Dasani isn't on the list? Only the lemon type is?

Bizarre. OK, the ones they listed (like my Diet Coke!) are OK, but everything else is off limits. I think I've got it.

CarlaB Enthusiast
OK, so that person who wondered a while ago why Dasani could be making her tummy hurt might be running afoul of this "gluten lite" thing? Since Dasani isn't on the list? Only the lemon type is?

Bizarre. OK, the ones they listed (like my Diet Coke!) are OK, but everything else is off limits. I think I've got it.

I have drank regular Dansani, and I'm very sensitive and did not have a reaction. I think it's just a CYA statement, probably because they outsource some of the ingredients.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

From what I understand (and I could be wrong), these products are gluten free:

Coca-Cola classic, caffeine free Coca-Cola classic, Coca-Cola Blak, Coca-Cola C2, Coca-Cola with Lime, Coca-Cola Zero, Barq's root beer, caffeine free Barq's root beer, diet Barq's root beer, diet Barq's Red Creme Soda, Diet Coke Black Cherry Vanilla, Diet Coke, Diet Coke with Lime, caffeine free Diet Coke, Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda, Sprite, Diet Sprite Zero, vanilla Coke, diet Coke vanilla, cherry Coke, Diet Cherry Coke, Fresca, DASANI Lemon, Minute Maid Light Lemonade, Simply Lemonade, Simply Limeade, POWERade Mountain Blast, and our 100% juice products (without added ingredients).

I'm guessing that there is no guarantee that their other products are gluten-free.

lovegrov Collaborator

It's pure CYA. They just won't "guarantee" the ones that have ingredients they don't manufacture.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived