This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hot Dogs That Are Gluten Free

Guest AutumnE

Guest AutumnE

I was told by the company that our old favorite local hot dogs were gluten free when I called. They lied :angry: I was severely ill from it. It was koegel's beef frankfurters for anyone here in case they arent aware. The person I talked was acting like a jerk but I dismissed it for hopefully some helpful information but I had a horrible reaction from it.

What kind of hot dogs do you use? Im hoping there are some. I did a search and couldnt find a thing. We are a hot dog loving family, I know not healthy but my dh and daughter love them.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Oscar Meyer and Hebrew National are gluten free

Johnsonville Brats are gluten-free, except Beer Brats

Guest AutumnE

Thanks so much :) We use to eat hebrew national hot dogs all the time when I was little because it didnt contain all the junk in it. You made my day! Im off to buy some for a bbq at our house today :)

Guest nini

Boar's Head Hot dogs are gluten-free and they label them as such!

Applegate Farms hot dogs are also gluten-free (I get these at either Whole Foods or my local Health Food Store)

beaglemania Rookie

I buy Hebrew National. I miss Nathan's though, I loved those, but they contain gluten:(

mbg98 Contributor

Arne't Ball park beef franks gluten-free as well?

Lisa Mentor
Arne't Ball park beef franks gluten-free as well?

Yup :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiackids Rookie

Bar-S is suppose to be gluten free. That's what the website says anyway.

Franceen Explorer

I just bought Sabbrett Hot Dogs at COSTCO. They too, are gluten-free.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Hebrew National -- all the way!

They just taste better than the other hot dogs (and no fillers) --

I think the Applegate Farms Hot Dogs taste weird and they cost like $7 a pack!

Bronco

Rikki Tikki Explorer
Hebrew National -- all the way!

They just taste better than the other hot dogs (and no fillers) --

I think the Applegate Farms Hot Dogs taste weird and they cost like $7 a pack!

Bronco

Agreed, they are the best! :D:D:D

Guest AutumnE

Thanks everyone :)

The bbq went great. Also I was looking at the store and bought the oscar mayer kind because of dh's request. They have no fillers also listed on the package. They were good also.

• 3 years later...
Mrs. P Newbie

I realize this is a 4 year old thread, but it is the only one that I find under the name "Koegel".

I was looking for information on Koegel's Viennas, which used to be an essential summer food for my boys. Here are the emails I've sent and received from the company.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 11:21 AM

To: John Koegel

Subject: Re: Koegel Meats

John Koegel wrote:

> >

> > Dear Ms. P:

> >

> > Thank you for your email inquiring which if our viennas are gluten

> > free. We appreciate you wanting to continue to eat our products.

> >

> > As I'm sure you're aware, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires

> > that all ingredients be listed in order of predominance on packages of

> > processed meats and reading the labels should give you the information

> > you seek.

> >

> > The only product we make with cereal is Koegel's Liver Sausage. Our

> > Smoked Sausage, Summer Sausage and Whol-E-Smokes contain Monosodium

> > Glutamate (MSG). All products containing MSG list it in the

> > ingredients. Finally, there may be an issue with our Macaroni and

> > Cheese Loaf.

> >

> > Other than these products, there should not be a concern with our

> > viennas or the rest of our product line as we do not put wheat, barley

> > or rye in them.

> >

> > If you have additional questions please let me know.

> >

> > Again, thank you for your email and for wanting to continue to eat our

> > products.

> >

> > Sincerely,

> >

> > John C. Koegel

> >

Mr. Koegel,

Thank you for the quick response.

I'm aware that gluten can be in some flavorings and spices, and also

that a product can be contaminated with gluten if the same machinery is

used to make a different product that contains gluten, even if the

machinery is cleaned.

It is very important that my son and I never eat anything with even a

trace of gluten because it makes us very ill. Koegel's Viennas are my

son's favorite food and I would like to continue buying them for him.

Dear Ms. P:

You're welcome and I understand. There should be no problem eating our

Viennas. There is no gluten in the flavorings or spices and they are

produced on clean equipment.

Again, thank you for wanting to continue to eat our product.

Sincerely,

John C. Koegel

I really think that it's too risky to eat these for us, since this company is not huge I suspect they make things that contain gluten in the same lines that make the frankfurters and Viennas. I was going to email him back and say that there is a difference between "clean" and no possible contamination issues, but decided to just go try to find Hebrew National hot dogs. I hope my boys like them as much as they like Viennas!

Unless anyone here has any updated information, that is! I still have not broken the news about Viennas not being safe and am just dreading it.

GFM Apprentice

We use Kahn's hot dogs.

Lily127 Rookie

I just (like five minutes ago) ate Boars Head Natural Casing Beef Franks with Boars Head Vidalia Onions and French's Yellow Mustard on Udi's Bread. The bread fell apart when I bent it into a Hot Dog bun shape BUT just the taste of the franks, onions and mustard was enough to make me VERY Happy. Boar's Head Sauerkraut is also gluten-free (I believe - I'm new to this) so you could do that too.

By the way does anyone know WHEN exactly Udi's Hot Dog buns are coming out and also on the Udi's bread. It was defrosted when I got it, can I re-freeze it now? Thanks!!

Juliebove Rising Star

I believe Viennas are what is served at Target. They are in fact gluten-free. Actually any and all hot dogs I have seen these days are gluten-free. The one I know of that did used to contain wheat no longer does. Can't remember the name of it now.

I rarely buy them but when I do they are usually uncured beef. Can't remember the brand.

psawyer Proficient

Actually any and all hot dogs I have seen these days are gluten-free. The one I know of that did used to contain wheat no longer does. Can't remember the name of it now.

Nathan's. They used to have gluten, but are now gluten-free.

ChemistMama Contributor
ChemistMama Contributor

Why don't they get rid of these old, unusable threads? There's a lot of information on these boards that is totally out of date and just plain incorrect regarding the gluten status of some foods.

psawyer Proficient

Pls see my reply to your topic in the board technical help forum here.

Mrs. P Newbie

I believe Viennas are what is served at Target. They are in fact gluten-free. Actually any and all hot dogs I have seen these days are gluten-free. The one I know of that did used to contain wheat no longer does. Can't remember the name of it now.

I rarely buy them but when I do they are usually uncured beef. Can't remember the brand.

Oh, I hope hope hope the Viennas you're talking about are Koegel! I believe the brand is only in the Michigan area. Is this the brand you're talking about? Koegel's Viennas are indeed safe? This would be SUCH good news to a gal who desperately NEEDS good news this week. I've already had three bread baking failures, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion. B)

I think the "older" threads here are invaluable. It is a treasure trove for those of us just starting out. I was able to see that date and knew the thread was old.

Originally, I saw that someone had eaten Koegel's beef franks and got sick. So the seed of doubt was sewn in my mind as to the safety of Viennas - since it's a small company and they probably make everything in the same pot, so to speak. Since no one here in my house gets falling-down-on-the-floor sick from eating gluten foods, there is no way for me to know for sure if they are safe or not by just eating them. So, when the company guy says they are safe but doesn't seem to display a good knowledge of what constitutes safe, I would rather just avoid the food rather than risk going backwards with this. That was why I posted here on this thread, to see if anyone had any updated information.

njbeachbum Explorer

Thumann's hot dogs are my absolute favorite and they are certified gluten free by the GFCO (check for the logo). It is rare that I eat something like a hot dog, but now that summer is upon us and there are bbq's popping up all over the place... well, sometimes it's ok to treat yourself :)

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Udi's is coming out with a hot dog bun?!! When did I miss this? Wow, that would make me jump for joy! :)

I know I saw that you can use their bagels as a hot dog bun somehow...

babinsky Apprentice

Any chance Udi's will be coming out with a hamburger bun too??????

• 7 years later...
The Truth Newbie

Is stahl meyer hot dogs gluten free it says it is and has no ingredients? They also come from ball park

Archived