This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coffee?

brizzo

brizzo Contributor

Anyone ever have a problem after drinking the occasional cup of maxwell house coffee? I know that coffee is gluten-free, but it still pisses off my DH. And yes , it's plain old coffee with 2% milk and 100% organic sugar. And no, I am not lactose intollerent , dairy, or caissein (sp?) intollerent

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator
Anyone ever have a problem after drinking the occasional cup of maxwell house coffee? I know that coffee is gluten-free, but it still pisses off my DH. And yes , it's plain old coffee with 2% milk and 100% organic sugar. And no, I am not lactose intollerent , dairy, or caissein (sp?) intollerent

You may be intolerant to coffee, I am.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I'm no good with coffee, either. :(

frenchiemama Collaborator

I've never noticed that coffee bothered my skin, but it sure does a number on my stomach. I haven't been able to drink it in years.

LKelly8 Rookie

I drink Maxwell House with no trouble. I don't have DH tho.

Hmm, is your coffee maker contaminated? :huh:

Mango04 Enthusiast

Coffee makes me reeeeeally sick

chgomom Enthusiast

Oh gawd....

I was on vacation in Florida...at my aunts. I had some Dunkin Donuts...coffee.....

I was in the loo for over 2 hrs on and off...stomach cramps....etc etc.

Yesterday when I went to my big GI appt she said until your intestines have healed....coffee can do a number on celiacs...only because its so rough on your system....and just goes right through.

So....as much as I would looooooove to drink it....I just can't anymore....so I stick with tea with milk...liek Chai.....or green....or Jasmine....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

linz7997 Explorer

what about that new folgers smooth stomach stuff??? would it be better??

spunky Contributor

Most coffees don't bother me (drink it black), but everytime I've tried those Folger's flavored coffee grounds in the plastic tub I have something that seems like a mild gluten reaction within a couple of days. Since I'm new at gluten free, I'm not absolutely certain it is the folgers, but it's seemed like it enough I gave my folger's chocolate and French vanilla tubs to someone at work...now I just sit and inhale how good it smells when they are brewing it, and stick with my plain old Maxwellhouse, which never seems to bother me.

Maybe one day in the future I'll try a little of those folgers again. I wonder sometimes what-all is in ground coffee...it might be better to just grind your own beans. But it's true what the others have said: I know lots of people (celiac or not) who just cannnot drink coffee without it tearing up their stomachs.

jerseyangel Proficient

I've never been able to drink coffee. It smells so good, though :(

Guest nini

I've switched to organic coffees, but used to have trouble with certain brands of coffee... some companies actually dust their lines with flour to keep the beans moving along... (was told this after calling one company after being in the bathroom for two days straight after trying their coffee)

spunky Contributor

Wonder if it would be a good idea to just buy coffee beans, rinse them off and grind them as necessary????

Maybe I sound really paranoid...maybe I just AM, but the longer I go at this, the better I feel, and I'm not into tempting fate with any possible down days...I like feeling GOOD.

Michi8 Contributor
Maybe one day in the future I'll try a little of those folgers again. I wonder sometimes what-all is in ground coffee...it might be better to just grind your own beans. But it's true what the others have said: I know lots of people (celiac or not) who just cannnot drink coffee without it tearing up their stomachs.

Coffee can just be hard on your system...it's quite acidic. It's one of the items doctors recommend cutting out of the diet when someone experiences stomach/GI or bladder ailments.

You could try a milder roast to see if it is any better.

Michelle :)

I've switched to organic coffees, but used to have trouble with certain brands of coffee... some companies actually dust their lines with flour to keep the beans moving along... (was told this after calling one company after being in the bathroom for two days straight after trying their coffee)

If a company dusted with flour, wouldn't it need to be on the ingredients list? I doubt many coffee companies do that anyway...coffee beans don't have a tendency to clump together anyway, and flour would negatively affect the end product.

Michelle

IrishKelly Contributor

Yes, I too tend to stick with one cup of hot tea in the morning. Even people without a gluten problem have coffee issues...if you start to ask around others who can tolerate gluten, you will see that a majority of them cannot handle coffee very well. If my father-in-law (who pretty much has an iron stomach) even smells coffee brewing it send him off to the bathroom...but he drinks it every morning. My friend has to go every morning as soon as she takes her first sip of coffee. My mother always told me that coffee is what keeps her regular evryday, because that's when she uses the bathroom. Coffee is definitely a natural form of a kind of "laxative" if you ask me!

Michi8 Contributor

brizzo, since you're having issues with your skin, have you done any allergy testing to see if there are other allergy triggers? What about patch testing for chemical sensitivities/allergies?

One of my major symptoms is skin itchiness & sensitivity...I get hives, eczema and what the dermatologist thinks may be psoriasis (have to go back during a flare up to confirm). I know I'm allergic to a number of things and just confirmed with patch testing that I'm allergic to nickel, chromium and cobalt. Those things are in all sorts of products we use daily, including vitamin supplements and foods. For the nickel allergy I was given info about which foods I need to eliminate if my skin isn't improving from avoiding obvious nickel products...that includes foods stored in metal cans, jars, etc (coffee is on the safe list in terms of natural nickel content, but pre-ground coffee is often stored in metal cans.)

Michelle

brizzo Contributor

Yea, I've done the whole skin allergy test for contact allergy.....Believe it or not, I had no allergies at all. My coffee reaction isn't GI, it's DH. I will try organic coffee and filters, seems like the next best approach..

eKatherine Rookie
Wonder if it would be a good idea to just buy coffee beans, rinse them off and grind them as necessary????

Actually, it's a great idea to buy a coffee roaster and roast your own. You'll save tons of money doing it, and it will be the best coffee you ever had. I have no idea about gluten that might be in coffee, though. I had to give it up, but my roaster was about ready to be replaced anyway.

Open Original Shared Link

• 1 year later...
yellojello0 Newbie

hi. i just wanted to let you know that i also had an allergic reaction to maxwellhouse master blend coffee. i have been a cofee drinker for many years often drinking eight to ten cups a day, although i have never really drank that much maxwellhouse. I recently bought some because it was on sale and we loved the taste of it, so i continued to buy it for the next two weeks. my hands were swelling and turning bright red, itching horribly. i thought i had a blood sugar problem until it occurred to me that the syptoms coincided with the coffee brand switch. i changed back and no more syptoms. i wonder what is in that brand because i have no other known allergies other than mild seasonal and to natural hair lightener products, however i should mention that my 17 month old son is allergic to everything but air.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

With all my intolerance's, coffee has never been a problem and I am so thankful for that. It and my peanut butter, they are like the 2 comfort foods that have not been taken away. Maxwell House though, I must say, is the least favorite of all, I just found that out. It was on sale a few weeks ago and I bought it just for that reason. I have been drinking Folgers and I like the Folgers so much better. I love 7/11 coffee and do stop for Dunkin Donuts (coffee) sometimes and never have problems. Flavored coffee's can be a problem, they sometimes do contain gluten, just as flavored teas do. I was glutened by hazelnut coffee at a Hess station about 5 yrs ago and I will never try a flavored coffee again, I don't like flavored coffee anyways, the hazelnut I got was made in the wrong pot and I got it by accident. Within 20 minutes of drinking it, I had terrible cramps.

I love my coffee!!! :D

Archived