This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Steuben's Restaurant In Denver Has A gluten-free Menu!

steveindenver

steveindenver Contributor

I ate at Steuben's last night (www.steubens.com) and was very happy to find they have a gluten-free menu! We sat at the bar, and when I asked the bartender (Mark) if the mashed potatoes have flour in it, as I can't have anything with flour, he immediately said, "Oh, we've got a gluten-free menu - would you like one?!" I spoke with their Manager, Dave, who was great to talk with and knew all about gluten-free and the Celiac chapter here in Denver. Kudos to this place.

They have a HUGE gluten-free menu, including:

Entrees including: Skirt steak, Cioppino, Memphis BBQ ribs, Pan Roasted Chicken, Trout.

Nightly specials: Monday (Buffalo ribeye); Thursday (Prime Rib - which I had and was good!!!); Friday (King Crab); Sunday (Carne Abobada).

Sandwiches: Sans bread I am guessing but include Maine Lobster Roll (I need to try that next time!). Cubano, Pulled Pork, Green Chili Cheeseburger, Burger, Cheese Steak and Chicago Dog.

Appetizers: Garlic Shrimp, Deviled Eggs, Mussels, Black Bean Soup, Green Chili Stew, Iceberg Wedge salad, Greek Salad, Cobb Salad, Tuna Nicoise.

Now, they do have a few menu items on there that aren't 100% gluten-free (fries, no dedicated frier) and Blue Cheese Dressing (since the mold in blue cheese can be started from bread). But their dressing MAY be gluten-free, I just didn't ask.

I know their sister restaurant, Vesta Dipping Grill has a gluten-free menu as well. Steuben's is located at 523 East 17th Avenue (Uptown) and their number is 303-830-1001. I'm just so happy I found this place and they have a gluten-free menu (and great staff) that I want to promote them as much as I can. GO SUPPORT THEM!!!

• 2 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TBOX Newbie

I'm a fellow Denverite. This is my first post but I had to chime in about Steuben's. I was diagnosed in August and I'm a self-professed "foodie." The Denver Metro area is so fantastic for foodies because there are constantly new, creative, and wonderful restaurants opening here. Colorado is also a very health-conscious state, so the options for celiacs here are good. Steuben's was just voted one of the top new restaurants in Denver for 2006 and it's easily in my top two for gluten-free, also.

I've tried most of the items on the gluten-free menu at Steuben's, including the fries and the bleu cheese dressing with the wedge salad, and haven't had a single reaction. One of the first times I ate there, the chef actually came out and checked with me about the fries and dressing (I didn't even ask for him to, so I thought it was really wonderful). They don't have a dedicated fryer, but they do have a very clean kitchen and I would assume that they keep the fryer just as clean. One of my favorite things about Steuben's is that you can get awesome take-out, even curbside. Just pull up in front and they will spot your car and bring you your food. I just can't say enough great things about this place!

While I'm on a roll, here are my other favorite gluten-free places in the Denver area:

Bonefish Grill - Chain with a huge gluten-free menu. There's one up north at I-36 and 104th, and another going in down south somewhere.

PF Chang's - I've tried Lodo and the one at Flatirons and both have been exceptionally accommodating.

Maggiano's Little Italy - I've only been to the one on 16th, but if you let the waitstaff know, one of the chefs will come out and speak with you personally, then create a whole meal just for you.

Table 6 - Great little date place at 6th and Corona. Call a few hours before and check with the chef, as their menu changes regularly. The chef is very knowledgeable and I've had some of the very best gluten-free food there.

Limon and Parallel 17 - Limon is a Peruvian restaurant and just a few doors down is Parallel 17, which serves Asian-style food. Both do small plates and entrees. At Parallel 17, there were a ton of gluten-free items on their menu. At Limon, there were several. Both are on 17th Street & Franklin, approximately. Oh...and at Limon, don't miss the house mojito!!

Tula - New restaurant in Cherry Creek at 2nd/Josephine. Plenty of great options on their menu, but beware the ahi tacos, because they are made with flour tortillas which are fried and look just enough like corn that you might mistake it.

Cuba Libro Bistro - Down in Littleton. This place is phenomenal, too, and the staff are very helpful with gluten-free.

Beau Jo's Pizza - sooooo good! Best stuff I know for a great afternoon watching the Broncos.

I think there are other great new spots which I can't remember off the top of my head! My rule of thumb has been to call the restaurant ahead of time. If it's a nicer place with a knowledegable chef, like so many of the places in this area are, they'll respond to your inquiry immediately. If they ask me what I mean by "gluten," then I don't bother going there. Once I arrive at the restaurant, I let the host know that I'm the person who called earlier. I've found that many places may not have a gluten-free menu, but can make you a phenomenal, safe meal.

I haven't been up to Boulder much, but I have a list of cool new spots to try out up there, too! My friends are all getting into the game, too, and even if I'm not with them - if they eat somewhere fantastic, they will ask the manager if the place can do gluten-free. So, my list of places to try in this area is growing! Other celiacs looking for a great place to vacation and not worry about where to eat - come to Denver! :P

By the way, for anyone in this area looking for New Grist Beer, Vineland Liquor at 88th and Wadsworth has it in stock.

Happy Holidays,

Tamara

t-bone Newbie

I'm from Denver even though I live on the east coast now but I'm going back to visit family for the holidays, definitely going to have to hit these places up and see what all the fuss is about.

• 4 weeks later...
steveindenver Contributor

We ate at Steuben's again last night and man, it is GOOD food. My partner had fried chicken which looked fantastic! I had gluten-free skirt steak and mashed potatoes - YUM. I even tried their fries and no problems. I highly recommend this place and it is definitely a new favorite of mine. GO SUPPORT THEM! THEY SUPPORT US!

• 10 months later...
Michelle1234 Contributor

Steubens gluten free menu not really gluten free.

I had read these posts so was happy when my friends wanted to have brunch at Steubens. I looked forward to it for weeks. I asked for the gluten free menu which they were happy to produce. But when I went to order off of it they said their fries and hash browns, both on the gluten free menu may contain gluten and that they had a separate celiac menu. They went searching for it but couldn't find it. The long and short of it was that there was nothing I could order but plain meat, the lobster roll (minus roll and fries so just lobster in mayonnaise) and plain eggs. I was so bummed. They said they had another person who never got sick off of their fries but they were prepared in a fryer that fried breaded items and I'm not willing to take that risk. They also said the hash browns had a seasoning in it with flour. But I talked to someone who seemed to be the manager later who said that it was only prepared off-site where there may be cross contamination (too bad the server had not given me this explanation as I would have tried them based on this risk).

I pointed out to them that to have stuff on the gluten free menu that wasn't expected to be gluten free was misleading. I wouldn't have known I needed to ask for the celiac menu after having gotten the gluten free one. He said the gluten free menu was more like no bread and that if you really need gluten free you need to get the celiac menu. That it was smaller. Which based on the few items on the gluten free one I don't think I would be too excited about so will not go back.

• 5 years later...
KatieBauer Newbie

Just for anyone checking out this, things have changed since Michelle1234 posted. My mom and I just ate lunch there for the first time. Yes, their fryer is still not dedicated and they still include those fried items on their gluten free menu but with a warning included that it isn't a dedicated fryer. I was definitely bummed I couldn't have their fries or their steuby snacks, but that's okay, because their gluten free menu now has MANY items on it that don't make it into the fryer. My mom had the grilled salmon with bacon braised collard greens and maple sweet potatoes. And I had the trout amandine with almonds, parsley potatoes and green beans. I thought I died and went to heaven, it was all so delicious. Here is a link to their gluten free menu: Open Original Shared Link

Katie Bauer

Archived