This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Foods By George

celiac3270

celiac3270 Collaborator

For anyone who hasn't already heard me go crazy over Foods By George.....they're the best! :D

The brownies taste better than the "real" thing. The blueberry and corn muffins taste just as good as or better than the "real" thing. But I just found out that they are not famous for either the brownies or muffins -- but rather for their english muffins! The eng. muffins are soooooooo good....100 times better than the old kind. This company has such a high standard for food and I just wanted to praise them for that--I heard that they had a gluten-free ravioli that was so popular that they couldn't keep up with the demand--they would've had to get a bigger factory--so unfortunately they stopped making it......kinda stupid in my opinion, but whatever.

I just wanted to HIGHLY recommend that brand to anyone who sees it somewhere....they have such high-quality products. Oh, I forgot to mention: the corn/blueberry muffins are gluten-free, but the brownies are gluten-free, soy free, dairy free, lactose free, casein free. Finally, the english muffins are gluten-free, dairy free, lactose free, casein free, and corn free.....they're so "free" that they're fine for just about anyone to eat :D . I just wanted to make this post in hopes that someone will try their products and realize that this is such a great brand. Their products are expensive, but well-worth it.

Here's their website: not much to it, but they have a pic. of their eng. muffins on the left.......and a # to call--maybe if you can't get them at a health food store near you, they'll ship you their products: Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

do they sell them at whole foods?

Alexolua Explorer
do they sell them at whole foods?

I've found their products at health food stores, and normal grocier stores, that have a health food section. They're stuff is normal in a freezer or fridge though (least in my experience).

celiac3270 -> I totally agree about their brownies.. but, the english muffin.. I dunno, I just found it real icky! To me didn't have much taste, and it really had that rice flour texture to it. Great you enjoy it though. And think Molly has it easy sorta? Just because she's never had wheat flour, I'm guessing? I still miss it! LOL

Though, I just microwaved mine, because we don't have a gluten-free toaster here, maybe that makes it better?

And hearing you rave about the blueberry/corn muffins makes me wish they were Gluten-free Casein-free! LOL

celiac3270 Collaborator

The blueberry muffins weren't quite as "realistic" as the corn.

Also, if you didn't toast the english muffin, that's why--no eng. muffin is good before toasting :D ......it's definitely thicker than most eng. muffins, but once toasted, it tastes the same to me and it's actually nicer to have a thick eng. muffin cause it doesn't get burnt as easily. My brother actually prefers mine to his and often asks for a piece :)

flagbabyds Collaborator

i've never even heard of them... weird, well i'm going back east on monday so i'll look for them

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yeah....they're not a huge, well-known company like Ener-G or Kinnickinnick (sp.)........

I like that they don't introduce new products cause they're mediocre and might sell---they seem to wait until they have something really great and as good as it can get and THEN put it on the shelves.

Alexolua Explorer
Also, if you didn't toast the english muffin, that's why--no eng. muffin is good before toasting

Actually I didn't mind wheat ones if they weren't toasted, true they were better toasted. And thanks! Too bad I already threw the rest out, lol.. oops. Though without a toaster.. hmm.. maybe I could have broiled them in the oven? LOL

Molly, here's their website: Open Original Shared Link

They actually have a form you can download to bring to a health food store manager, to try and get them to use their products, lol. Also shows all their products if you were curious. =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Forty320 Newbie

Hey, I bought a toaster at either Target or ShopKo for like $5 not too long ago. It's a great investment, since I've found all gluten-free breads I've yet tried are great toasted!

- Dan

PS: thrift stores rip you off selling you an old crappy caked non-polarised toaster that will bite the dust in 3 days for $15 :D

Alexolua Explorer

Wow.. that's a good idea!

Any gluten-free breads you would recommend? Ones I have tried, have been awful! LOL

celiac3270 Collaborator

I use Ener-G, but it's not nearly as light as the old stuff was.....it's too dense, but the best I have found

• 4 weeks later...
celiac3270 Collaborator

Foods By George: I just tried their crumb cake........REALLY EXPENSIVE, though......$10.99 for a package the same size as their brownies....small! If you like crumb cake, though, this one is better than the real thing, in my opinion.

Oh, by the way, I had been looking for a long time, where I could get Foods By George products online....couldn't find anywhere......Gretchen (GEF) found this website, so if you can't get them at a local store (as is likely) you can try them by buying them here--the prices are about the same as in the store--just not sure if they charge shipping......here's the site, and thanks again, Gretchen :D :

Open Original Shared Link

-celiac3270

GEF Explorer

:D You're welcome, celiac3270! You've so got me sold on these!!

Gretch

lilliexx Contributor

thankyou for that link :)

since your rave review came out i have been on the hunt and couldnt find them anywhere. i'm going to order the english muffins & brownies right away!! :rolleyes:

Guest Lindam

;) Hi All, I found that Whole foods carries them by me and I tried the pound cake. I didn't think it was all that great. It was pretty expensive too. I called my local health food store and asked them to carry Foods by George so I could try something else, and now they carry almost the complete line. For all of you that can't find it available in your area, I would ask the manager at any of your local health food stores to try and get it for you.

Linda

celiac3270 Collaborator

Good to know, Linda........that's one of the products I haven't had a chance to try.

Archived