This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Everyone Thinks I'm Crazy...

Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

<<rant>>

Well if people didn't think I was a nut before, they do now.

I started an elimination/detox diet on Monday. I am no longer eating gluten (duh), dairy, soy, corn, eggs, tomatoes, peanuts, shellfish, beef, pork, caffeine, alcohol, or fun. I also cut out legumes simply because I eat so many of them on a regular basis that it's feasible to think they could be giving me a problem.

Basically, I'm not eating anything I don't physically prepare myself - so as to stay away from all the processed stuff.

I'm pleasantly suprised with how easy it's been - truthfully I'm not really all that hungry. A lot of veggies, fruits, fresh squeezed OJ (YUM), hummus, chicken and brown rice. And water.

But boy...try explaining this to people!

I think a lot of us celiacs seem come out of nowhere with this whole gluten thing. And you have to explain how you didn't realize it was a problem until you stopped eating it and saw how good you felt. Because it's not a "normal" allergy where your throat closes up or something like that. It's just slowly destroying your intestines and ruining the quality of your life.

My boyfriend had a great analogy - getting glasses. The first time I got my eyes checked, I had no idea how bad they were until they put a lense down that worked. And then I realized just how poor my vision is.

I feel the same way about my stomach. I got so used to feeling so crappy all the time, that it became the norm. I guess I just assumed that everyone out there felt kinda crappy most of the time - it never occurred to me that I shouldn't feel so ucky.

So a few months ago I started the whole gluten thing, and now this week it's turned into an 'everything' thing. And people just think I'm insane. And I work at a bar and it just feels like I'm walking a gauntlet of deliciousness the whole time I'm there...

The best I can describe it is that I was having migraines 6 times a week and I was looking for a trigger. So I cut everything out and after a few weeks I will slowly add it back in and see what stuff bothers me. How ironic...it was my headaches that lead me to the gluten thing to begin with. And while my headaches only lessened slightly, my stomach felt SO much better. And now here I am, in some weird dietary netherworld trying to figure out where to go next. :unsure:

Let me just add that I saw a new dr last week who actually told me it was, 'okay' to take the maximum allowable daily dosage of excedrin on a daily basis as long as I took something like Nexium as well, to protect my stomach. Serious? Talk about one giant bandaid instead of figuring out the cause...

I have to go to work again now...at least I have the most fabulous best friend (and coworker) in the entire world who is doing the diet with me. We can be crazy together. :P

Thanks for the vent!

Courtney

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast

Courtney, I am glad to hear that you are taking your health into your own hands (about your food). I had a doc put me on Nexium, Reglan, Aciphex, and then told me to cut out tomatoes when my acid reflux still wouldn't go away! They are all nuts, if you ask me....;)

Anyway, how is it going? I understanding people thinking you are crazy. I have gotten that too. I have one friend (ex-friend) who thinks I made the whold thing up (like eating gluten-free is fun, and something we all do for kicks!)

I hope you are finding out some things about your body and what foods you can eat! Take it slow (from what I hear).

Guest nini

it is hard to get past what other people think of you, BUT you don't owe anyone any explanations about your diet, so what if they think you are crazy, it's your choice to be healthy right? Sure you don't choose to be on an elimination diet, but you do choose to find a healthier way to live than the way you've been living, so KUDOS to you! I'm proud of you! (like my opinion matters anyway)

flagbabyds Collaborator

I defenitely understand why people think you are crazy, when i went soy free everyone was so surprised especailly my sister who is a vegan and she kept telling me that it was just because i didn't like soy and tofu is why i went soy free because my allergy tests came back engative but everytime i wouldhave anything with soy in it i would end up in the ER, yes this is my sister talking so i understand that people do not understand why you do it.

it kinda sucks but now all my friends are used to it, it just takes time and soon it will get better and your elimination diet will be over.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Good for you! I have been eating like that, too .... not to find out if I have any other intolerances, but because my doc wanted me to give my adrenal glands a rest so they could heal after all the stress of constant illness for so long. I am feeling much better! After a couple months of it, I drink a large cup of decaf coffee a couple times a week, and allow myself a small serving of something sugary once a week. Other than that, it's still all just meat, veggies, potatoes, and rice.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

Okay...not everyone thinks I'm crazy. Just most people outside of my little celiac world do!

It came up when I was invited to breakfast the other day. I said thanks but no thanks, there's probably nothing I can eat there (they all knew of the gluten thing).

She said, "lizard's thicket has such a huge buffet, there's got to be something you can eat!"

Haha...first, let's delve into the fear the idea of a buffet struck in my heart. Second...anyone else from the South know what Lizard's Thicket is? Good, Southern, Country cookin' with extra salt and pig fat. Tasty, yes. :rolleyes: But following the rules of my diet? Doubtful.

At which point I got into the whole migraine thing and trigger and elimination diet, yadda yadda yadda.

So. Thanks to you, my support group of people I will likely never meet, for not thinking I'm crazy! :D

Courtney

CarlaB Enthusiast

Next time, eat first, meet them and just have a cup of coffee or tea, say you already ate. That way, you get the social aspect, but not the worries.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

yeah i always eat before i go out to dinner

the one night i eat when i go out to dinner is the homecoming dinner before the dance cause it is weird if i don't eat there and awwkward.

this year i did not get sick and i was very happy cause ususllay they use soy oil which makes me really sick.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Doing a hard core elimination diet was hard! I only ate 12 foods - two of which were olive oil and salt! :( But it doesn't matter what other people think of you for doing it. You're conducting an experiment, and it's not like you expect it to last for years and years, to see what keeps you healthy. That's prossibly the most sensible thing in the world!

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
Doing a hard core elimination diet was hard! I only ate 12 foods - two of which were olive oil and salt! :( But it doesn't matter what other people think of you for doing it. You're conducting an experiment, and it's not like you expect it to last for years and years, to see what keeps you healthy. That's prossibly the most sensible thing in the world!

The way I see it, if they had the kind of headaches I had, they would do just about anything to get rid of them too! Including giving up all these weird things...it's that desperation stage where you will try anything! (UN)fortunately something seems to be working. Which means there's something else I have a problem with. Which is good because I will probably figure it out. But bad because I just want to eat normal stuff! Half the battle with the headaches seems to have been my excessive amounts of Excedrin - whoops! Think I got addicted! Now I'm just waiting to see what else happens...

It takes a LOT to commit to do something like this and it's not a decision made on a whim. Just meal planning alone, not to mention the cravings everytime I see something! Everyday I amaze myself more and more that I made it. And it's just that. One day at a time right now. I'm glad I was gluten-free for a few months because at least I'm used to not eating a lot of things already.

12 foods...I haven't counted mine. But it's probably not much more than that. At least I'm not hungry for hte most part!

Courtney

covsooze Enthusiast

Courtney - well done for sticking at this :) I want to do a strict elimination diet like this too, but I'm not quite ready yet. I haven't yet figured out what I'm going to snack on - I get hungry all the time, and I don't know how I would manage to keep to such a limited diet without caving in when I get hungry. I've started planning and will get there to join you one day - probably by the time you're feeling loads better having discovered all your intolerances :lol: Good for you! Keep us posted.

mandyann Newbie

Hi-

I went gluten free for about 6 weeks last spring because of my headaches. I have very few stomach issues and up until now I would have considered it the strongest part of my body. I was desperate to find a cure or cause of my headaches and have tried practically everything. Anyway, it wasn't until I dropped the dairy that I started feeling better. I did have to go back on gluten over the summer for the blood work which came back positive, twice and now I'm gluten free again and getting ready to give up dairy again. But what I mainly wanted to tell you is that something that has really helped me with my headaches, (and they are not always migraines) is Amitriptyline. I tried it years ago and it was too sedating but now I take a very small dose at night and have no negative side effects. You might want to talk to your doctor about it. It took about 3 weeks to kick in but has really decreased my headaches, which were practically daily. I hope this helps, hang in there!

Diana

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
Hi-

I went gluten free for about 6 weeks last spring because of my headaches. I have very few stomach issues and up until now I would have considered it the strongest part of my body. I was desperate to find a cure or cause of my headaches and have tried practically everything. Anyway, it wasn't until I dropped the dairy that I started feeling better. I did have to go back on gluten over the summer for the blood work which came back positive, twice and now I'm gluten free again and getting ready to give up dairy again. But what I mainly wanted to tell you is that something that has really helped me with my headaches, (and they are not always migraines) is Amitriptyline. I tried it years ago and it was too sedating but now I take a very small dose at night and have no negative side effects. You might want to talk to your doctor about it. It took about 3 weeks to kick in but has really decreased my headaches, which were practically daily. I hope this helps, hang in there!

Diana

Thanks Diana

I will bring that up with the dr. Just cutting out the Excedrin this week has made a huge difference (after the first four, excrutiatingly painful days, of course...) But I am reminded that I started taking the Excedrin for a reason. So while I might have recently been experiencing some rebound headaches, it all started somewhere. I hope that's not my dairy symptom.....oh, lord, I REALLY hope that's not my dairy symptom!

Courtney

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Good for you Courtney!!

About your friend doing the diet with you.....how awesome is that!! What an amazing friend. :)

I know what you mean about people not "getting" it. I had to eliminate so many foods I cant go out to eat or anything like that. I can basically eat like 5 things that I prepare at home.

Trying to explain to people why I cant go out to eat was the worst thing ever...especially if they kept pushing me for a reason....not really understanding why I cant go. Sometimes it would almost bring me to tears......mainly because I didnt really have an answer to give. I didnt know why I cant eat soooo many foods so I couldnt possibly make someone else understand when I didnt understand it myself.

I just recently got diagnosed with Lyme Disease and now I'm actually happy to have an answer....not only for myself but one that actually makes sense to other people! They seem to GET IT now and it makes a huge difference in my life to have an explanation....even though I knew I wasnt crazy all along. ;)

Its so weird how unless you have a specific label that people can "identify" with or have heard of.....they just wont believe that you need to restrict your diet. Its really not for other people to judge....but they do and sometimes it makes it alot harder for us when those people lack understanding. I can definately relate to how you're feeling but kudos to you for taking care of yourself!!

Budew Rookie

I am still unraveling my mystery.

Before I was celiac I became vegetarian. 25 years ago.

I eliminated eggs, (except in bake goods and noodles) about 15 years ago.

I was diagnosed celiac 5 years ago. Stopped gluten. I got really sick for 2 years.

I ended up not being able to keep anything down.

That made the elimination thing easier.

I began with white potato, margerine, salt, water. 3 months later I realized the iodine in the salt was a problem.

For 3 months I tried to eat a balanced gluten free vegetarian diet with out processed foods. I was still sick.

I eliminated dairy. I was still sick. I eliminated night shade vegetables. I was still sick. But realized white potato gives me a rash and makes me itch.

I eliminated salycilcates(wrong spelling). I am still sick. Adding enzymes, right now. I am also wondering about corn and soy. I am avoiding them right now just because I want to check to see if they are having any effect.

Being a member for only one week has given me direction, hope, and the understanding that was so lacking. Thanks everyone!

corinne Apprentice

I wasn't getting better so I went on a very strict diet for about two weeks - boiled carrots, lean meat and applesauce. I now (going on 10 months) eat no raw veggies or fruit, no high-fiber veggies, no soy, no dairy, no grains (including corn and rice), no potatoes or other starchy foods, no sugar, no acidic food, no spicy foods.

Honestly, I feel so much better that it hasn't been as hard as it sounds. I snack on bananas or applesauce or avocaodos. I run, hike and climb and I eat about 6 meals a day to make sure get enough calories and don't get hungry.

I do go out to eat with friends. Most of the time I eat first (have some applesauce etc in the car) or some places I know I can eat safely. A few favourite restaurants will steam carrots for me and will clean the grill before cooking either meat or fish.

I do get a lot of questions from people who don't know me. Mostly, what DO you eat?

Simply-V Newbie
I am still unraveling my mystery.

Before I was celiac I became vegetarian. 25 years ago.

I eliminated eggs, (except in bake goods and noodles) about 15 years ago.

I was diagnosed celiac 5 years ago. Stopped gluten. I got really sick for 2 years.

I ended up not being able to keep anything down.

That made the elimination thing easier.

I began with white potato, margerine, salt, water. 3 months later I realized the iodine in the salt was a problem.

For 3 months I tried to eat a balanced gluten free vegetarian diet with out processed foods. I was still sick.

I eliminated dairy. I was still sick. I eliminated night shade vegetables. I was still sick. But realized white potato gives me a rash and makes me itch.

I eliminated salycilcates(wrong spelling). I am still sick. Adding enzymes, right now. I am also wondering about corn and soy. I am avoiding them right now just because I want to check to see if they are having any effect.

Being a member for only one week has given me direction, hope, and the understanding that was so lacking. Thanks everyone!

Something you may not know ... Iodized salt has corn in it. They use dextrose (corn) to bind the iodine to the salt. A lot of corn allergic people react to it.

If you want to learn more about avoiding corn, go to the link at the bottom of my signature. There are several links there that can help you.

Budew Rookie

Wow corn binds salt. I have a lot to learn, thanks for the site.

Archived