• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

It's The End Of The World As We Know It!

12 posts in this topic

I think it's POTATOES :o:blink::angry: So, now I need to eliminate them and see how I do. Can't believe I can be allergic to my two favourite foods - potatoes and chocolate :o

I am going to eliminate all nightshades, as I'm pretty sure they all give me stomach symptoms.

I'm going to immerse myself in my work (other people's problems!) so that I don't get hysterical....

See ya later!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

OH NO! Not the potatoes and chocolate!!!! I'm with you, that will be hard... BUT, you are doing what you have to to be healthy and I'm proud of you! (like that matters LOL) anyway, big ol hugs and hang in there, and hopefully you've found the answer to your mystery.

So sorry to hear that. I don't think I tolerate potatoes well either, but they don't bother me that much so I'm not willing to give them up. I also have a tough time with chocolate. It is sad but hopefully it will make you feel better.

Hi Susie,

Sad news, no getting around it--but if you're right, and you begin to feel better without them then it won't be so hard.

I've been like that with various foods that I've eliminated--I *really* did not want to give them up but feeling better always wins out in the end :D

And who knows? Maybe if you stay away from the offender for 6 months or so, you could then try small amounts again, and have a taste sometimes. Gotta think positive ;)

I cut out the nightshades five years ago, and I find that I can handle having them about once a month now. But if I eat them two days in a row I'll get digestive problems.

But it's almost harder to eat them one day, and not to be able to keep eating them, than to just not bother with them at all. Potatoes used to be my favourite food (followed by German rye bread), which figures, of course.

Ads by Google:

I think it's POTATOES :o:blink::angry: So, now I need to eliminate them and see how I do. Can't believe I can be allergic to my two favourite foods - potatoes and chocolate :o

I am going to eliminate all nightshades, as I'm pretty sure they all give me stomach symptoms.

Well glad you think you've found the culprit-but commiserations on the chocolate...... :o

Keep us posted how it goes! :)

:lol: Thanks for the support everyone :) I am actually quite excited in a strange sort of a way, cos very few of my symptoms have actually got better since going gluten-free (10 mths ago), even though I've been so very careful. So it's actually great to be finally geting somewhere. It also gives me more incentive to do the dreaded elimination diet thing :rolleyes: If I can work out how to do it, I'll blog my elimination experience (yuck! sorry, no pun intended! ). It is also brilliant to be somewhere where others understand this crazy thing of normal, supposedly healthy food making us ill.

girl,

join the club! although, I'm sorry you have to.

here we all are, with our weird food issues.....hope it brings you relief, though. Let us know if we can help.

Laura

You'll find your way around it! I enjoy potatoes, but hardly ever have them. Time to check out more fun options. Hopefully, other root vegetables are an option - like carrots, turnips, rutabegas, and so on.

Well, I've been nightshade free for 2 whole days ;) and I think I may be on the right track. Only 1 hive yesterday (a large one) and one small one today. And I've had definite withdrawal symptoms (headache & brain fog). Can't believe I'm doing a potato detox :lol: I am also at last getting round to simplifying my diet, heading for an elimination diet, and am almost processed food free. Hooray! I'm seeing my GP next week and can't wait to tell him my progress...

Well, I've been nightshade free for 2 whole days ;) and I think I may be on the right track. Only 1 hive yesterday (a large one) and one small one today. And I've had definite withdrawal symptoms (headache & brain fog). Can't believe I'm doing a potato detox :lol: I am also at last getting round to simplifying my diet, heading for an elimination diet, and am almost processed food free. Hooray! I'm seeing my GP next week and can't wait to tell him my progress...

Great to hear you're doing better.. or at least not so itchy. :)

Susie--That's so good to hear! :)