This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Parchment Paper As A Barrier

clbevilacqua

clbevilacqua Explorer

Is parchment paper a sufficient barrier to prevent cross contamination when using something like a cookie sheet? Does anyone know for sure-either from experience or seen a research report? If not, your best guess is also appreciated! Thanks for the help!

-Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Are we talking as a barrier for a cookie sheet that has been used in the past for gluten containing things, but isn't being replaced though it's thoroughly washed? Or a barrier for a cookie sheet that actively has fresh wheat products right on it? In the case of the former, I'm going to say yes, but in the case of the later, not if the item being cooked has much in the way of oil that will soak through the paper and attempt to soak up the wheat on the cookie sheet. (Of course, I can't imagine putting flour, on it's own, in the oven, so I'm not saying that's a *sensible* scenario. :) ) But this is a guess on my part. If I had my druthers, I'd use aluminum foil in that situation, but realize that it's not always feasible.

clbevilacqua Explorer

A cookie sheet that has been previously (and is still actively) used with gluten products but has been washed and is not being used at this time for gluten stuff. I guess I'm trying to figure out if parchment paper is porous.

Michi8 Contributor
A cookie sheet that has been previously (and is still actively) used with gluten products but has been washed and is not being used at this time for gluten stuff. I guess I'm trying to figure out if parchment paper is porous.

What about using a silicone sheet (like a Open Original Shared Link) instead? As long as it's only used for gluten-free cooking, it would make a good barrier on top of a cookie sheet, plus cookies won't stick to it. :)

Michelle

emcmaster Collaborator
What about using a silicone sheet (like a Open Original Shared Link) instead? As long as it's only used for gluten-free cooking, it would make a good barrier on top of a cookie sheet, plus cookies won't stick to it. :)

Michelle

That's what I do and I've not gotten sick from it.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I cover my baking sheets with foil. Easy cleanup, too.

Michi8 Contributor
I cover my baking sheets with foil. Easy cleanup, too.

Foil can be good for some things. I wouldn't bake cookies on it though...it has a tendency to rip if you use a spatula on it.

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I use parchement paper and it works fine, I don't think it's porous at all, I spilled some milk on some and it just pooled in the center and didn't seep through at all... My hubby uses my cookie sheet for his gluten filled pizzas or fish sticks or things like that, it's cleaned really well after use and I use the parchment paper for cookies... for other things on it I use foil. I like the parchment paper because I can lift up the whole sheet with the cookies on it and transfer it to the cooling rack and then the cookies just slide right off the parchment paper.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
I use parchement paper and it works fine, I don't think it's porous at all, I spilled some milk on some and it just pooled in the center and didn't seep through at all... My hubby uses my cookie sheet for his gluten filled pizzas or fish sticks or things like that, it's cleaned really well after use and I use the parchment paper for cookies... for other things on it I use foil. I like the parchment paper because I can lift up the whole sheet with the cookies on it and transfer it to the cooling rack and then the cookies just slide right off the parchment paper.

Ditto. (Except spilling the milk. B) )

tarnalberry Community Regular

it can be 'porous' for some things once it's been in the oven - particularly fats. that's the concern I was noting - if there's wheat on it *at the same time* and the item *on the paper* has enough fat that it will soak through the paper, and that part of the paper was touching something glutening, it might be a problem. but those are all things that can be avoided. it sounds like it's being washed clean, so it should be fine. I still use aluminum foil on occasion, and rather than using a spatula to get them off, pull them off the foil, and pull any foil off the bottom if they ever stick.

clbevilacqua Explorer

Thanks for the input everyone-I appreciate the help!

katrinamaria Explorer

you can't use the same cookie sheets that made gluten cookies to make gluten-free cookies even if the sheet has been washed?!? what about plates and silverware then??! i wasn't aware of this.....?? :o:blink:

hineini Enthusiast
you can't use the same cookie sheets that made gluten cookies to make gluten-free cookies even if the sheet has been washed?!? what about plates and silverware then??! i wasn't aware of this.....?? :o:blink:

From everything I've read... yes, you can use the same cookie sheets, plates and silverware - Especially if they're not non-stick. There is concern that non-stick surfaces get scratched which can harbor some gluten even after washing. Cast iron may also pose this problem. Not everyone who is gluten sensitive has any problems using pots and pans taht are well-washed, but if you're concerned it is worth sticking to stainless steel and other smooth surfaces if you're going to share with someone who cooks gluten. The other things that need to be separate (not used by gluten-eaters) are wooden utensils and cutting boards.

Helena Contributor

Great thread---this answers one of the questions I've been mulling over. Thanks!

• 9 years later...
cjo582 Newbie

Hello! I just searched for answers on this question, and I'm about to make holiday treats for a friend's party! I'll be using gluten-free pretzels, some chocolates and pecans, and didn't necessarily want to purchase a new separate cookie sheet. I love the fact that I found this forum, and thank you for clearing up my question!

Archived