This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Apples Now, Too ?

Mamato2boys

Mamato2boys Contributor

:unsure:

So it seems now that I've gone gluten-free, more and more food sensitivities are cropping up. Dairy, soy, oats (probably from cc). Yesterday I had 2 apples and noticed they hurt my stomach. I was at work and starving (I inadvertently didn't bring enough food), and noticed the first apple bothered me a few hours earlier. But I figured between the apple and gluten-rich foods, I'd be better off eating the apple. I seem to remember apples bothering me years ago when I was a kid, but somehow managed to forget about that. I get a really uncomfortable stabbing sensation in my stomach. It almost feels like a sharp piece of apple is jabbing me in the stomach from the inside ! :o

~sigh~

Anybody else experience something like this ? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I can't drink oj on an empty stomach, and tend not to eat fruit when I'm hungry. Maybe you're just sensitive to the fructose and you noticed it more this time because it was all you ate.

Mamato2boys Contributor

I hope so. I noticed it the past couple times I've eaten them but was kind of in denial that's what it was.

Gamecreature Rookie

I don't know how long you've been going gluten-free but I've been about 5 weeks and I've had similar experiences. I'll be hungry all of the time and apples tend to make me feel a little queesy.

However, the feeling disapates rather quicky and it seems to be related to the size of the apple. Just about everything I eat these days will cause some reaction or other simply because my intestine is just beginning to heal and still can't process food 100%.

I agree that protein is the best thing to reach for. When I used to reach for chocolate as an after dinner snack, now I'll reach for a hot dog (Jenny-O turkey frank wrapped in a corn tortilla). If a large meal upsets your system, try smaller meals spread out over the day - find some way to work in some protien (such as cheese or peanut butter) and I think you'll find you're staying "full" longer.

lorka150 Collaborator

for the first eight months or so, only about 7 foods didn't bother me. apples still do, actually. only a few fruit i can down without getting really irritated.

Guest AutumnE

Do you have a corn allergy or corn intolerance? I read that the wax in apple skins may contain corn. I have problems with apples also.

PreOptMegs Explorer

One morning I ate 3 apples for breakfast, and yes a couple of hours later, I felt like I had been "glutened". I called my mother crying and asking her what I should/could do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

I have a good friend who had a similar experience and discovered that it was the peel of the apple. She can eat them if she peels them first.

Guest Viola
I have a good friend who had a similar experience and discovered that it was the peel of the apple. She can eat them if she peels them first.

Liz, you are right, there have been a few of us that have found that we can tollerate apples quite nicely if we peel them first. The skin is very difficult to digest.

• 1 month later...
Riayn Newbie

A small proportion of celiacs have fructose intolerance - and the fruit that tops the list is apples. Fructose intolerance can be diagnosed by a hydrogen breath test. If you are still experiencing problems with apples and other fruits and vegetables it may be worth getting yourself tested for it.

Rebecca47 Contributor

I also have to peel my apples, I don't like the skin of apples and I never have, to make it stranger I also put a little salt on them brings out the juices better. :)

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I've had trouble digesting apples, too, so I'm careful about eating them. I do better with the less sweet varieties, and I always peel them - the peel has so many chemicals and fungacides on it and I'm sure not all has been washed off before they're dipped in wax so that you can't get it off even if you want to - I just don't want to be ingesting all that with the apple. And I think not eatnig the peel makes it more digestable, for me, anyway.

Also, initially after going on the gluten-free diet I would get stomach pain after eating about any raw fruit or vegetable. It took a couple months for this problem to resolve itself and now I can tolerate raw much better.

elonwy Enthusiast

Apple skin is really high in fiber, if you eat enough of them it can give you D and that's in someone with a normal digestive system, so its very possible you're reacting to the high fiber content. I know that I had to watch how much fiber I got for the first six months or so, cause too much fiber would get my tummy agurglin.

Elonwy

jenvan Collaborator

Fruit bothers some people, and some folks are able to eat an apple w/o the skin.

Archived