This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Worcestershire Souce Substitute

agentmm

agentmm Newbie

Hello,

I am brand new to this board so please tell me if this is in the wrong category.

I am looking for a gluten-free Worcestershire Sauce substitute.

Is there such a thing???

Thanks in advance, I am going to post like a madman on here now that I found this!

MM

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Hi, welcome to the board!

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce IS gluten-free--no need to find a substitute! It's one of the major brands, and comes in a dark brown bottle that's wrapped all over with tan paper.

agentmm Newbie
Hi, welcome to the board!

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce IS gluten-free--no need to find a substitute! It's one of the major brands, and comes in a dark brown bottle that's wrapped all over with tan paper.

Hello, Thanks for the prompt reply!

Isn't there malt vinegar in Lea and Perrins??

Thanks in advance,

MM

Carriefaith Enthusiast
There is in Canada. Lea and Perrins is not gluten-free in Canada.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that. :blink: I wonder why they make it differently?

agentmm Newbie

Thanks alot for the information.

I thought it was unacceptable at my store.

Great help!

Is there a substitute??

Thanks

MM

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I haven't found any safe worcestershire sauce in Canada. You can find recipes in google, but I've never tried any of them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

agentmm Newbie
I haven't found any safe worcestershire sauce in Canada. You can find recipes in google, but I've never tried any of them.

thanks! I'll try one...

MM

linds Apprentice

I also e-mailed french's and they replied that their worcestershire sauce is gluten free.

psawyer Proficient
Hello, Thanks for the prompt reply!

Thanks in advance,

MM

It depends.

In Canada, Lea & Perrins has malt vinegar, and thus is NOT gluten-free. In the US, L&P IS gluten-free.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I haven't found French's in Canada either. I use a recipe I found on the internet.

Homemade Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir thoroughly.

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 minute. Cool.

Store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 3/4 cup.

Shake well before using.

lorka150 Collaborator

Edward's and Sons makes one available in Canada.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

What stores is it available at?

lorka150 Collaborator

i'm not sure what to tell you, as i don't shop in mainstream stores, really. i mostly go to the market for produce and the health food store for baking supplies. i would check your local stores, and because they are such a huge company (they have many brands under their name), chances are, if your store sells one of their items, they can order it for you.

• 2 months later...
wallflower Newbie

(I am not trying to be pushy- but I was really woried about it so I looked it up and called them)

CarrieFaith and Psawyer-- It it the same recepie in Canada and USA and safe for Celiac

Acording to the L&P web site Fiddle Faddle is correct--

Open Original Shared Link

Is the Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce sold in the US the same as the sauce sold in the rest of the world?

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is made to the original recipe in two factories. The original factory in Worcester, and a sister factory in New Jersey USA. The New Jersey factory follows the same recipe as the Worcester factory, although some ingredients are sourced locally. Product sold in the rest of the world is manufactured and exported from our factory in Worcester, UK. (Worcester refers to the town itself, whilst Worcestershire indicates the 'shire' or county in which the town of Worcester is located).

Is Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce gluten free?

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire is suitable for a coeliac diet, for further information on Nutritional and Allergy queries please contact us.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Wallflower - I'm not trying to be pushy either, but one of the first ingredients on Lea & Perrins in Canada is malt vinegar (at least it was in Dec. 2006).

I don't know how the company can say that it is safe. I'm emailing the company to try to straighten this out.

Huh. They don't even have email. They have a phone number which they will more than likely not answer because it's after 4pm Eastern.

par18 Apprentice
I also e-mailed french's and they replied that their worcestershire sauce is gluten free.

I use French's also with no problems.

Tom

Michi8 Contributor
(I am not trying to be pushy- but I was really woried about it so I looked it up and called them)

CarrieFaith and Psawyer-- It it the same recepie in Canada and USA and safe for Celiac

Acording to the L&P web site Fiddle Faddle is correct--

Open Original Shared Link

Is the Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce sold in the US the same as the sauce sold in the rest of the world?

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is made to the original recipe in two factories. The original factory in Worcester, and a sister factory in New Jersey USA. The New Jersey factory follows the same recipe as the Worcester factory, although some ingredients are sourced locally. Product sold in the rest of the world is manufactured and exported from our factory in Worcester, UK. (Worcester refers to the town itself, whilst Worcestershire indicates the 'shire' or county in which the town of Worcester is located).

Is Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce gluten free?

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire is suitable for a coeliac diet, for further information on Nutritional and Allergy queries please contact us.

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce sold in Canada is from the UK. The UK follows the Codex Alimentarius for gluten free foods...which allows for gluten under a certain detectable level. So, there is gluten in their Worcestershire Sauce, but they can say it's "suitable for a coeliac diet." It's up to you to decide if the level is safe enough for you to consume. BTW, Rice Krispies are apparently safe to eat in the UK for this same reason, even though they have the same recipe as in North America. :)

Michelle

de caps Contributor
I haven't found French's in Canada either. I use a recipe I found on the internet.

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Makes about 3/4 cup.

Shake well before using.

This sounds great. I thought SOY SAUCE WAS not gluten-free.

La Choy soy sauce and San-J wheat-free tamari are both gluten-free. Read labels carefully, as San-J has several gluten-containing tamaris.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

As mentioned, it depends on the soy sauce. I'm in Canada, I use VH. I don't think that's available in the states, but Fiddle-Faddle has given you a couple of options.

de caps Contributor
As mentioned, it depends on the soy sauce. I'm in Canada, I use VH. I don't think that's available in the states, but Fiddle-Faddle has given you a couple of options.

Thanks for the information. I never checked the labels because the nutrutionist that I saw when first diagnosed said it had gluten. This is also why I avoid most Chinese food. Thank you both so much for this information. I' m happy to put this back on my can have list.

Donna

Nancym Enthusiast

You can make malt from things other than barley, maybe they did that?

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I don't know. I always assume it's from barley and have never actually investigated it. (I'm talking about L&P, I think you are, too?)

larry mac Enthusiast

I don't have a bottle of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce right now (I'm so ashamed as it's undoubtably the very best, and I bought French's last time 'cause it was cheaper), but I'm pretty sure it contains both anchovies and tamarinds. Don't know about gluten. Here are the ingredients listed on a bottle of French's made in the USA from my fridge (should be listed by weight right?):

~ distilled vinegar

~ molasses

~ corn syrup

~ water

~ caramel color

~ sugar

~ spices ( aha! could be 2 or 100 )

~ anchovies

~ natural flavor ( just one?)

~ tamarind

Unless the gluten is from the secret natural flavor, I guess it's gluten-free. lm

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Makes about 3/4 cup.

Shake well before using.

Archived