This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pork Digestive Systems Of Pigs... Does It Remove Gluten?

HawkFire

HawkFire Explorer

Open Original Shared Link

My beef with pork is not religious, but that is where I found the most information concerning the digestive system of the animal.. I was fearful that the toxins and perhaps gluten were in the flesh due to their digestive systems. So I eliminated it.

Bad effects of pork consumption

Pig's bodies contain many toxins, worms and latent diseases. Although some of these infestations are harbored in other animals, modern veterinarians say that pigs are far more predisposed to these illnesses than other animals. This could be because pigs like to scavenge and will eat any kind of food, including dead insects, worms, rotting carcasses, excreta (including their own), garbage, and other pigs.

Influenza (flu) is one of the most famous illnesses which pigs share with humans. This illness is harbored in the lungs of pigs during the summer months and tends to affect pigs and humans in the cooler months. Sausage contains bits of pigs' lungs, so those who eat pork sausage tend to suffer more during epidemics of influenza. Pig meat contains excessive quantities of histamine and imidazole compounds, which can lead to itching and inflammation; growth hormone, which promotes inflammation and growth; sulphur-containing mesenchymal mucus, which leads to swelling and deposits of mucus in tendons and cartilage, resulting in arthritis, rheumatism, etc.

Sulfur helps cause firm human tendons and ligaments to be replaced by the pig's soft mesenchymal tissues, and degeneration of human cartilage. Eating pork can also lead to gallstones and obesity, probably due to its high cholesterol and saturated fat content. The pig is the main carrier of the taenia solium worm, which is found it its flesh. These tapeworms are found in human intestines with greater frequency in nations where pigs are eaten. This type of tapeworm can pass through the intestines and affect many other organs, and is incurable once it reaches beyond a certain stage. One in six people in the US and Canada has trichinosis from eating trichina worms which are found in pork. Many people have no symptoms to warn them of this, and when they do, they resemble symptoms of many other illnesses. These worms are not noticed during meat inspections, nor are they killed by salting or smoking. Few people cook the meat long enough to kill the trichinae. The rat (another scavenger) also harbors this disease. There are dozens of other worms, germs, diseases and bacteria which are commonly found in pigs, many of which are specific to the pig, or found in greater frequency in pigs.

Pigs are biologically similar to humans, and their meat is said to taste similar to human flesh. Pigs have been used for dissection in biology labs due to the similarity between their organs and human organs. People with insulin-dependent diabetes usually inject themselves with pig insulin.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
:blink::blink::blink:
HawkFire Explorer
:blink::blink::blink:

HAHA! I'm sorry. But I came across the info about pork from a Jewish friend. I listened to all the gory details, then asked if perhaps gluten could remain in the flesh... I was very concerned for health reasons. I had heard of people feeling sensitive to poorly fed chickens. Like when the animal is fed strictly a grain diet full of gluten, the meat can cause symptoms in sensitive people. That is why I buy free range chicken. It's all so much, I know, but I was concerned.. and after reading the biblical and religious reasons against eating pork, I have to confess, I'm never eating it again. But I wondered for the sake of my children, should I not pass along (too strongly) my objection to pork? Is it gluten free?

Guest Viola

We raised pigs in a small way for several years.

I have never seen, even the baby pigs eating their own waste. They are very clean animals if they are allowed to be. By that I mean they need their pens cleaned out just like any other animals. The pigs we had would soil only in one corner of their pen and leave the rest clean to play in. We of course kept that corner clean for them.

We also ate, and still do eat pork. I've had parasite tests (mostly to check for water born illnesses, as our water is not treated) and have never had a problem with worms of any kind.

I can't of course speak for large pig breeding sites, although I can't see them not keeping things clean as any loss of piglets due to unhealthy conditions would cost them dearly in money.

You really have to be around these animals for a period of time before you can say they are filthy animals inside and out. They are not. However, they can catch your flu and you can catch one from them. It's interesting that the one animal that's closest to a human in genetic material is the one most detested by some people.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I doubt there is gluten in pork. But I react to pork for some reason, and I am not eating it, either. I have read something like what you posted some time ago, and that sure made me not want to eat it, anyway.

HawkFire Explorer

Oh, I read about the tube that runs down the back of the leg to drain pus and I just could never eat it again. I read how in Pensylvania the city had an offical garbage crew... hundreds of pigs that they would let loose on the city streets. The animals would eat all the garbage including the feces of horses. Oh, boy. I read how toxins go from the stomach very quickly into the flesh. That scared me. I accidently ordered my favorite gluten free spare ribs at outback steakhouse soon after going pork free. I sat there and stared at my accident. I didn't eat them. that was a year ago.

2kids4me Contributor
People with insulin-dependent diabetes usually inject themselves with pig insulin.

Most insulins today are biosynthetic and derived from Recombinant DNA technology based on the human insulin molecule. At least that is what it has said on my insulin since 1986. Beef and pork insulins have been phased out, there is one manufacturer still producing it in small quantities

I am not sure where you got your facts from but my husband is a vet.

ALL farm animals are routinely given preventative treatment for worms. Pigs raised for meat are housed in huge barns and do not "scavenge for their meals". They are fed measured rations with balance of minerals /protein.

Influenza (flu) is one of the most famous illnesses which pigs share with humans.

Pigs and BIRDS that are housed together -a common practice in Asia - are the source of the influenza virus. The birds carry the flu virus which is then transmitted to pigs and mutates to be come infective to people.

I read the link and found it to be" fear mongering":

Unlike other mammals, a pig does not sweat or perspire. Perspiration is a means by which toxins are removed from the body. Since a pig does not sweat, the toxins remain within its body and in the meat.

They do have liver and kidneys and are quite capable of processing toxins. That's how they recover from anesthesia so well.

Farmers will often pen up pigs within a rattlesnake nest because the pigs will eat the snakes, and if bitten they will not be harmed by the venom

I have heard that pigs keep snakes away...I don't know if this is true of potbelly pigs and was wondering if it is???

----Wild pigs will kill and eat snakes. Under certain circumstances, farm hogs may do the same. They may disturb a snake, but they will not attack one and their presence does not keep snakes away.

I have heard that pigs are immune to poisonous snakes (rattlers) and would even kill them if they came in contact ??

---Pigs are remarkable creatures. Technically, they are not immune to snake poison, but the sheer size of a farm hog or wild boar means the venom from the bite is spread over a larger body. A rattle snake bite can kill a 150 lb human or a 150 lb (or smaller) pig. The same amount of venom may not be fatal to a 1000 lb pig, because the venom is spread over a larger body mass, but the pig will probably be quite ill.

Cows have a complex digestive system, having four stomachs. It thus takes over 24 hours to digest their vegetarian diet causing its food to be purified of toxins.

Cows can and will readily eat batteries, and get lead poisoning. They are euthanized and not allowed in the food chain because lead is permanently in their bones. Cows will eat metal, twine and other stuff. Often found on postmortem when vets investigate sudden death.

The pig is so poisonous and filthy, that nature had to prepare him a sewer line or canal running down each leg with an outlet in the bottom of the foot. Out of this hole oozes pus and filth his body cannot pass into its system fast enough. Some of this pus gets into the meat of the pig.

??? HUH? never seen it on postmortem :blink::blink:

Trichinellosis

What is trichinellosis?

Trichinellosis, also called trichinosis, is caused by eating raw or undercooked meat of animals infected with the larvae of a species of worm called Trichinella. Infection occurs commonly in certain wild carnivorous (meat-eating) animals but may also occur in domestic pigs.

How does infection occur in humans and animals? When a human or animal eats meat that contains infective Trichinella cysts, the acid in the stomach dissolves the hard covering of the cyst and releases the worms. The worms pass into the small intestine and, in 1-2 days, become mature. After mating, adult females lay eggs. Eggs develop into immature worms, travel through the arteries, and are transported to muscles. Within the muscles, the worms curl into a ball and encyst (become enclosed in a capsule). Infection occurs when these encysted worms are consumed in meat.

Am I at risk for trichinellosis?If you eat raw or undercooked meats, particularly bear, pork, wild feline (such as a cougar), fox, dog, wolf, horse, seal, or walrus, you are at risk for trichinellosis.

The link you added is based on religious beliefs, founded cenutries ago before pigs were fed commercial diets / balanced feed rations. Before science realized why pigs could be bit by rattlers and live. before "dewormers". Before vet medicine realized ANY cloven hoofed animal will have pus come from their feet if they have foot rot - a common condition when pigs are housed in wet muddy yards - not commercial pig operations with closed barns. It is NOT from "some sewer canal down their leg".

Sandy

EDIT _ add on - the notion that pigs are filthy animals comes from the picture we all see of a pig wallowing in mud. They do this to cool off! They will designate an area of their pen as "toilet" and not roll in it or eat it.

They are susceptible to heat stroke because they cannot lower their body temperature rapidly. That is why electrical failures can result in an entire hog barn dying from heat stroke or if heat fails in cold weather, they freeze.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

anerissara Enthusiast

:blink: *What?!?* :unsure:

Gag-a-Maggot! I have quit eating all pork but bacon (an that only rarely), but as of right now I think pork bacon is off the list! Turkey tastes OK and has about a millionth of the fat, anyway.

I've taken a good look at the food-laws in the Bible (not Kosher law, which developed from the Biblical laws, but the actual laws in the Bible) and they make a whole lot of sense! I quit eating pork because I figured there was probably a good reason for God's nixing it. Those laws just make sense, especially considering the time period when they were written....for example if a mouse drops into your water jar, you have to not only dump the water but also break the jar and bury it! Protection against the plauge. They even had laws for what to do with black mold--if your house had it, you had to go through certain cleaning rituals, throw out the bricks and stones that were effected, and tear down the house if it kept coming back! GIven what we now know about black mold, that's pretty darn smart. Also if your clothes had black mold, you had to clean them and then set them away from your house for a week...if the mold grew back you had to burn the clothes. Wow! And most of the basic laws about food make complete sense...most of the things on the list you'd have to be a little nuts to eat (or starving)...no eagle meat, no cat meat (nothing that walks around on paws!) and the like. And the shellfish type things that are ruled out are sponges for toxins in the water. Pretty cool ;)

But I digress....anyway, I was just talking about pork with someone and I'll have to email them your post. That's really gross!

What's that about the pus and the leg thing? I completely missed that one. Yuk!

Oh, and if you're ready to give up eating *anything*, check out the hilarious videos at Open Original Shared Link they will have you ROTFL but also leave you wanting to grow your own vegetable and never buy meat or milk from a regular store ever again. :o

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hi, I wonder about your initial post, is that information current? I believe MOST pigs are raised in clean circumstances now.....but who knows.

The dietary laws in the Old Testament (Leviticus) are VERY specific....man was allowed to eat beef because cows have three (or is it four?) stomachs, and chew their cud repeatedly, thus the food was cleaned and purified before it reached the flesh. Man was only allowed to eat animals with cloven hooves - others were considered unclean. Many people react to pork because there is less purification....and also shellfish - I have read that shrimp were the "garbage collectors" of the sea - shellfish is not allowed in Levitical dietary law either as the toxins or garbage or whatever is ingested does not have time to be cleansed before it becomes part of the creature. I also think many of the laws make sense, but I do eat pork occasionally and haven't had any problems.

the procedures that Annerissa mentioned for the Biblical eradication of mold....that makes so much sense when you think about what black mold does to people in their homes now, and how hard it is to get rid of.... :o

HawkFire Explorer

No, I believe it is current science that :surprisingly: supports!! the bible in calling pork unclean. How could they have known that the digestive system of a pig prevented it from removing toxins??? How could they have known that shellfish are the oceans vacuum cleaners? I am ill thinking of the Lobster I've eaten in my time and thought it was a treat!

To whoever posted, "gag-a-maggot"... I have not laughed so hard in ages!

:lol::lol::lol:

Hi, I wonder about your initial post, is that information current? I believe MOST pigs are raised in clean circumstances now.....but who knows.

The dietary laws in the Old Testament (Leviticus) are VERY specific....man was allowed to eat beef because cows have three (or is it four?) stomachs, and chew their cud repeatedly, thus the food was cleaned and purified before it reached the flesh. Man was only allowed to eat animals with cloven hooves - others were considered unclean. Many people react to pork because there is less purification....and also shellfish - I have read that shrimp were the "garbage collectors" of the sea - shellfish is not allowed in Levitical dietary law either as the toxins or garbage or whatever is ingested does not have time to be cleansed before it becomes part of the creature. I also think many of the laws make sense, but I do eat pork occasionally and haven't had any problems.

the procedures that Annerissa mentioned for the Biblical eradication of mold....that makes so much sense when you think about what black mold does to people in their homes now, and how hard it is to get rid of.... :o

It is not the environment, so much as the actual digestive system of the animal.. It works against providing a healthy food source. I am not jewish and am not doing this on biblical grounds. I did some research after an enlightlening conversation with a jewish friend and was surprised at what I learned. I had no idea.

2kids4me Contributor
What's that about the pus and the leg thing? I completely missed that one. Yuk!

I repeat - they do NOT have pus thing running down their leg! IT is false.

Just because cows (and other ruminants) have 4 stomachs does not mean they eliminate toxins due to that process!

They rely on fermentation to digest their food, microbes required for fermentation include: bacteria, protozoa, fungi and bacterial viruses. (mycoplasmas).

Pigs are monogastric (like us) - one stomach, anmd digestion is similar to humans.

A final note on anatomy. Stratified, squamous epithelium such as found in the rumen is not usually considered an absorptive type of epithelium. Ruminal papillae are however very richly vascularized and the abundant volatile fatty acids produced by fermentation are readily absorbed across the epithelium. Venous blood from the forestomachs, as well as the abomasum, carries these absorbed nutrients into the portal vein, and hence, straight to the liver.

It is in the liver - as in monogastrics that toxins are eliminated and sent out via the kidney or digestive tract.

The big problem in my mind is the feeding of antibiotic laced food to cows AND pigs to enhance weight gain.

Probably the idea that pigs cannot eliminate toxins is because FAT (on any animal) is "storage center" for toxins. That is why you should trim fat off meat and not eat it. Pigs tend to have heavy fat layers. It is correct to assume toxins can be concentrated in the fat.

In humans - waste products from smoking pot or cigarettes is stored in the fat for long periods. We should not isolate the pig as the garbage bag of the world. Mammary tissue in women is a storage depot for pesticides which can then be found in milk during lactation.

Sheep are ruminants too and are the source for scrapie - which when fed to animals = BSE. But I don't see sheep on the taboo list.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
The big problem in my mind is the feeding of antibiotic laced food to cows AND pigs to enhance weight gain.

I am also worried about the hormones.....should I be more worried about the antibiotics?

HawkFire Explorer

More blech!!!

Oh, totally gross...

ArtGirl Enthusiast

And.... why, do you suppose, they have to give cows (don't know about pigs) the antibiotics???? Because they are kept in feed lots where they stand around in piles of manure for what, several months?, while they eat hormone-rich food to fatten them up. That's worse than pigs in a mud hole.

HawkFire Explorer

This man seems to be fairly objective and points out the science behind not eating Pork. He makes very good points. :):):):)

2kids4me Contributor

so why are cows okay? They carry zoonotic disease ann are the source for E Coli food poisoning ?

You are more likely to get sick from unpasteurized apple juice, lettuce, celery, eggs or improperly cooked chicken then you are from pork.

So far, I have only seen biblical references for the pig's digestion being "unclean". I see no anatomy sites to show the pus canal (which does not exist).

2kids4me Contributor

i read the link and I realize these are dietary laws of a religious group.

This made cows, goats, sheep, deer, etc. edible

Deer carry a number of parasites - the liver fluke being one of them, they also harbour chronic wasting disease (a variant of BSE), goats will eat garbage, sheep carry scrapie.... if someone wants to follow a dietary program for any reason - go for it.

But please make the information correct. Pigs and shell fish are not the only scavengers and "western culture" follows these laws, but other cultures would not touch a cow because they are sacred in their eyes. To each their own.

HawkFire Explorer

In contrast, David Meinz summarizes the potential health risk of eating creatures the Bible classifies as unclean. "Almost all of the creatures on the unclean list are scavengers," he notes. "In many cases they don't hunt for their own food; they eat the dead and decaying matter of our environment. A catfish does that at the bottom of a pond; lobsters and shrimp do it in the ocean. A pig will eat anything. Vultures, almost by definition, are known for their scavenger habits" (Meinz, p. 225).

Dr. Russell notes that "the differences between clean and unclean animals appear to be related to their primary food source and to their digestive systems. Scavengers that eat anything and everything are not suitable for food, according to the Bible. Animals described as clean, and therefore good for food, primarily eat grasses and grains.

". . . [but] note that an animal doesn't have to be a scavenger to be unclean. Horses and rabbits, for example, are unclean because they do not have split hooves. Although they are considered to be good food in some countries, studies have shown that horse meat often contains viruses and parasites. Rabbits, as innocent as they appear, are the cause of tularemia (an infectious disease) in humans.

"One reason for God's rule forbidding pork is that the digestive system of a pig is completely different from that of a cow. It is similar to ours, in that the stomach is very acidic. Pigs are gluttonous, never knowing when to stop eating. Their stomach acids become diluted because of the volume of food, allowing all kinds of vermin to pass through this protective barrier. Parasites, bacteria, viruses and toxins can pass into the pig's flesh because of overeating. These toxins and infectious agents can be passed on to humans when they eat a pig's flesh" (Russell, p. 76-77).

Poison on a plate?

Dr. Russell's supporting evidence for his views isn't for the faint of heart. He writes: "In the United States, three of the six most common food-borne parasitic diseases of humans are associated with pork consumption.

These include toxoplasmosis, taeniasis or cysticercosis (caused by the pork tapeworm Taenia solium) and trichinellosis . . .

"It has long been recognized that the meat of shellfish-shrimp, crabs, lobsters, etc.-is especially dangerous. Many illnesses, including instant paralysis, devastate some people every day as a result of eating shellfish.

"The largest cholera outbreak in the United States occurred in Louisiana from August through October 1986.

(The symptoms of cholera are explosive diarrhea, leading to rapid dehydration, unconsciousness, hypotension and death.) What did the stricken people eat? The incriminating meals were found to include rice noodles with shrimp, pork, vegetables, mussel soup, pig blood coagulated with vinegar, and salty brine shrimp with mixed vegetables.

"Shellfish can be placed in a body of water that is contaminated with cholera bacteria, and they will purify the water. Shrimp, oysters, crab, scallops and mussels are particularly efficient at this. They filter large volumes of water every day. Sewage laden with chemicals, toxins and harmful bacteria, parasites and viruses become concentrated in those shellfish. The cause of cholera outbreaks in several areas has been traced to contaminated shrimp, crab, oysters and clams.

". . . Reading all this, you might not be surprised to learn that the state Legislature of California proposed a law requiring the food industry to label shellfish with a message warning: 'This food may be dangerous to your health.' Why? In a single year, 50 deaths and many hospitalizations were found to have been caused by eating shellfish" (Russell, pp. 78-79).

What purpose do they serve?

If such creatures weren't designed to be eaten, why did God create them? Dr. Russell explains: "For one thing, they serve a useful role just cleaning up the place. Many unclean animals, however, notably pigs and shellfish, are unhealthy because their diet consists of society's disease-laden refuse.

"As is well known, pigs will eat anything and everything. They were designed to clean up decaying flesh and pollution. Pigs have eaten Philadelphia's garbage and sewage for more than 100 years, saving the city $3 million a year in landfill costs. This is a wise use of hogs. They are designed to clean our environment.

"Even when stacked in cages, piglets thrive on offal when only the pig in the top cage receives food. Farmers have increased their profits by feeding free raw sewage to pigs. Chicken farmers often keep a hog so they can dispose of dead chickens without having to bury them" (Russell, p. 81).

Some species of fish and shellfish perform a similar role in an aquatic environment. Dr. Russell notes that "among commonly eaten fish, catfish . . . always show the highest levels of contamination in chemically polluted water. After chemical spills, local fishermen are warned not to eat catfish.

He cites the example of a peach farmer who sprayed his trees with pesticide, only to have a rainstorm quickly wash the chemicals off the trees.

"The rainwater containing the recently applied insecticide ran into his pond," he writes. "The catfish did their job, cleaning the water by sucking up the pesticide; but because of their efficiency, most of them floated to the top of the pond dead. None of the fish that had fins and scales died" (ibid.).

Even commercially raised catfish are a potential health risk, he notes. "Consumer Reports tested fish bought in multiple markets in the United States. Fish are considered spoiled when bacteria counts are greater than 10 million per gram of flesh. Nearly all catfish had counts that went off the scale at 27 million per gram, even when properly prepared" (ibid.).

Dr. Russell's conclusion ". . . Although swine help clean the earth, and shellfish and catfish are ideally designed to purify the water, we don't want to eat what they clean up!" (ibid.)

In light of such seldom-publicized facts, we can better understand and appreciate God's words through Moses: "Observe and obey all these words which I command you, that it may go well with you and your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the LORD your God" (Deuteronomy 12:28).

For further help...

If you have questions or comments about the application of biblical food laws to Christians, please write to info@ucg.org. Our staff will be glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2kids4me Contributor
And.... why, do you suppose, they have to give cows (don't know about pigs) the antibiotics???? Because they are kept in feed lots where they stand around in piles of manure for what, several months?, while they eat hormone-rich food to fatten them up.

Not all animals being fattened for slaughter bide their time in feedlots. The antibiotics is added to feed:

Antibiotics are often routinely included in animal feed. The medication is included routinely, firstly because it prevents the spread of diseases when animals are kept in crowded conditions, and secondly because animals which take antibiotics grow more rapidly. The antibiotics appear to be able to increase the efficiency of the animals' digestion. So antibiotics give farmers an economic advantage by producing rapidly growing animals without the need for extra feed.

Sweden has the right idea: In 1986, Sweden opted to ban antibiotics from routine use in animal feed, reducing overall tonnage of antibiotics used by forty percent. Antibiotics are only given to farm animals for curing disease and after a veterinary prescription. Furthermore, Sweden claims to be the main European Union producer of salmonella-free chickens.

HawkFire Explorer

As I stated earlier, I did not decide not to eat pork based on religious beliefs.. my own, that is. I was talking with a jewish friend about dietary restrictions due to my celiac. I also avoid dairy, sugar (mostly), msg and soy. We were talking about her diet. One thing she never eats is pork. At teh time of our discussion, I had two packages of pork chops in my freezer, bacon and sausage as well. I liked pork.

I remember what I had, because I gave it to my neighbor who said she had NO Problem eating pork!

So it's not biblical. I was only wondering if indeed gluten could get into the flesh of the pork due to it's natural inabi.ity to properly digest foods allowing toxins to enter the flesh. I thought it was a valid reason for avoiding the meat, but am also very repulsed by the facts I've learned.

I read a rather dry book called fast food nation a year ago. It wasn't that good as far as entertaining details. I thought the book would be much more explosive than it turned out to be. However, I did stop eating all beef that day. It was such a horrible thought to believe that mad cow is most likely already in our beef supply. It scared me to no end. I will not use beef bouillon or any product with beef. I have had lamb since. But mostly free range chicken, buffalo once or twice, and fish. I do not enjoy fish but found snapper is ok. mostly, we eat meat once or twice a week at this point.

2kids4me Contributor
Scrapie is a fatal, degenerative disease affecting the central nervous system of sheep and goats. It is among a number of diseases classified as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE). Infected flocks that contain a high percentage of susceptible animals can experience significant production losses. Over a period of several years the number of infected animals increases, and the age at onset of clinical signs (see photos) decreases making these flocks economically unviable. Animals sold from infected flocks spread scrapie to other flocks.

about mercury in fish, usually tuna and swordfish. Last time I checked, they had fins.

I am only pointing out - that you can find links outlining the danger of pigs, I can do the same for sheep, cattle and fish, vegetables and fruit.

Everything in moderation, wash fruit and veges - and as Ursula pointed out -PEEL the fruit (another thread).

If someone does not want to eat pork - don't. The links (from both of us) offer everyone the chance to form their own opinion.

I merely pointed out that some of the reasons pork is considered "unclean" would apply to cattle and sheep. Cattle graze and forage amongst numerous "cow patties", lick each other til they get hairballs (yes, cattle can get hairballs), eat metal, nails etc (called hardware disease), have as many parasites (including giardia, flukes, roundworms, ringworm, ticks, mange to name a few).

If they detoxify themsleves so well - why do farmers lose cattle to toxins??

Vegetables and fruit routinely get peed on by animals, bugs, worms, birds, rodents.

and no gluten cannot get into the meat of any animal

lovegrov Collaborator

There is so much misinformation and outright lies in these links about pork it isn't funny. Eat pork or don't eat pork, but I wouldn't base my decision on the information in these links.

As for gluten, gluten does NOT get into the flesh of animals. That's why no one, not even the ultra-paranoid CSA, considers plain meat a gluten threat. Raw plain meat is gluten-free. Period. We really have enough food challenges to worry about without adding imaginary ones.

richard

rinne Apprentice
We raised pigs in a small way for several years.

I have never seen, even the baby pigs eating their own waste. They are very clean animals if they are allowed to be. By that I mean they need their pens cleaned out just like any other animals. The pigs we had would soil only in one corner of their pen and leave the rest clean to play in. We of course kept that corner clean for them.

My grandmother always said that pigs were smart, clean and healthy, given the opportunity to be. I recall reading an article some years ago about current hog raising practices and a hog farmer talked about the challenges of raising hogs, the big one being how sick they get and the need for the antibiotics to treat all their lung problems. Naturally they have lung problems given the way they are treated.

I don't eat commercial meat, I absolutely don't trust the current inspection standards. We have had the mad cow scare here and the U.S. border closed to Canadian beef. I don't know whether you are aware of it but Canada has some very good investigative reporters who have done stories on that and I don't think you hear the same stories we do. I buy organic meat from local producers.

HawkFire Explorer

I asked about Dr. Mercola in another post. Many seemed to respect his knowledge. I have here a post from his site *there are many* that condemns pork as unhealthy. If you do not find value in links from religious sites due to a conflict with the religion, perhaps you will find merit in the opinions of a man given credit as a crusader for optimum health.

Felidae Enthusiast

I agree with what Shirley said. Pigs are very clean. I spent some time at an organic farm and it was extremely clean as were the animals. The large industrial/commercial farms are where the lack of animal cleanliness begins due to many factors.

Archived