This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Caffeine A Problem? Cramping From Other Foods...

haphenomenon

haphenomenon Newbie

I have been Gluten Free for almost 4 years ( but it seems to be a cyclical healing process) I am still VERY sensitive to other foods especially caffeine. I stopped drinking caffeine 10years ago because of bladder issues but still recognize how great it can be sometimes. So whenever I convince myself that its ok to just have it this once or decide I"m healed, I get severe cramping in my lower left abdomen with gas and bloating. Mostly the gas starts with burping and then ends up the other end. The hardest though is the pain from cramping and the only solution I find is eating A LOT to speed things a long... also sticking my belly out so that the gas is pushed along!

I feel like I can feel exactly where my intestines are lesioned, as if there is one spot that is affected. I thought I read somewhere that the lower intestines were especially affected by celiac. Has anyone else experienced symptoms in a localized area of the abdomen?

Do other people have these symptoms from caffeine, sensitive to very acidic foods? I find I have problems with oranges sometimes, green tea, popcorn, almonds, peanuts, the list could go on. I always considered that the tea was just too caustic ( can you use that in this context?) but also that some foods may be very abrasive, such as popcorn. Nuts I know have an enzyme coating which naturally is supposed to prevent them from being digested so that they can get germinated after leaving the body.... I can eat nuts most of the time especially soaked or blanched but when the system gets worn down they're a problem!

I read about an apple cider vinegar home remedy and started to try it. It was great until I started to realize it was causing this cramping and its just too strong for my sensitive intestines.

What is the best way to cure the lining? Is it possible? Will there ever be a comfortable life that includes caffeine? Other than comfort level I would like to know how to have a healthy gut that is strong and protective.

Is there a Leaky Gut thread?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

corinne Apprentice

Caffeine is a stimulant and as such can also stimulate your intestinal muscle cells which can cause food to move through your system faster. So for now you might want to minimize your caffeine intake until you heal. I also react to acidic foods. I don't tolerate tomato juice, organge juice etc. Nuts, popcorn and other foods with significant amounts of insoluble fiber can be hard to digest (I can't eat these either) The best healer is time. For some people, it can take many years for the gut to return to normal. It may be too, that you have other intolerances.

Guest cassidy

I feel for you. Since going gluten-free I have realized there are other foods that I can't have either. Tomatoes, potatoes, pineapple, citrus, strawberries, chocolate, etc. I also can't have MSG or any foods with a bunch of chemicals in them. It is worse when I get run down, then I can't tolerate anything. If I'm doing well I can have a bite of pineapple or a strawberry, but not a whole serving of anything.

I use apple cider vinegar, but only for heartburn.

I would recommend, unfornately, staying away from those things that you can't have. Maybe, like me, you can have a little - like decaf coffee for the taste and the little caffeine it has in it.

Aloe is very good for healing things. I don't recommend the plain but they have cherry and mango flavored. When my system gets really bad I drink aloe and it helps. Also, probiotics may be helpful. I drink kefir (strong, liquid yogurt) everyday, but you can take probiotic pills. They just give you more good bacteria which helps break things down and helps your intestines work better. Digestive enzymes also help me. I definitely take them when I cheat on these foods and they help break things down as well.

num1habsfan Rising Star

since i've gone gluten-free i've been having issues with a lot of other foods, even ones i'm not allergic or intollerant to--my body just doesnt agree with them. caffeine honestly doesnt bother me at all, I drink it daily (i cant function thru my day without having some sort of coffee in my system) and i have no other affects that i wouldn't have normally. What bugs my body is anything with a lot of acid (like orange juices and stuff--and obviously tomatoes, but only becuase I am allergic to them :lol: ). Also veggies. I try to stick with just lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, radishes...i'm sure i'm forgetting some hehe. But all other veggies (even carrots) bother my system! Its so weird.

I guess it must be a common thing with Celiac to be bothered by other foods...maybe our body's are punishing us for eating gluten for many years, so now its saying "ha now you cant eat THESE" :lol:

~ lisa ~

marciab Enthusiast

I've found that I can digest tea if I water it down to about 90% water and 10% tea. But, the caffeine will keep me awake for hours. It's fun while I am awake, but not at 2 am. :blink:

I get severe pains in several areas, but usually only one area at a time. I get it on the left side like you, but also on the right near my appendix and in my chest sometimes.

I am still tracking to see if foods do this to me, but I know over eating, eating too fast, or drinking while eating are definite.

I use raw EVOO, grapeseed oil, and flax oil every day in my foods to coat my esophagus and make my foods go down easier. These are rich in omegas too and help with constipation. I have not seen any research on this, but I know that essential fats are good for you, so it can't hurt.

Marcia

Archived