This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did Anyone Else Get Carried Away With T-day ?

marciab

marciab Enthusiast

My muscles are sore and I have a rash. Not DH, just about 40 bumps all over my abdomen, back and scalp. Mostly on my abdomen.

I haven't eaten these kinds of foods in any quantity in over 6 months. But by the time I had Thanksgiving dinner ready, it was full of known sensitivities/allergies and it was all just to much to resist. :blink:

In my stuffing I used Food for Life millet bread and it has yeast, the marshmellows on top of my daughter's sweet potatoes had high fructose corn syrup (yep, I stole hers :o ), tea had caffeine :blink: and the fudge had butter (dairy) and marshmellows (high fructose corn syrup). :blink::o

I only had a couple of bites of the marshmellows, 2 oz of tea and 1 piece of fudge, but it appears to have been too much.

The stuffing was my only repeat offender. Can't have chicken and cranberries without stuffing. :rolleyes:

Granted I ate nothing but leftovers for 2 days, so that was not very smart either. :unsure:

Now, I'm back on my old diet and loving it. Anyone else ? Marcia

Edited: It just dawned on me that I am probably sore because I did not sleep well at all after having tea with caffeine. My fibro has always come back if I had trouble sleeping. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Yep! I'm paying a little bit, too!

I knowingly and purposely ate rice products (stuffing, pie crust) like they were going out of style. I normally only eat rice once a week.

I am having mostly indigestion, some bloating and gas :ph34r:

It was worth it :lol:

marciab Enthusiast

Rice pie crust, yummm ! I didn't get any pie this year. :(

I'm not nearly as sore today as I was yesterday, but the rash is worse. So, at this point, it still was not worth it. :blink:

On the upside, we at least have some ideas as to what foods to avoid :D

tarnalberry Community Regular
In my stuffing I used Food for Life millet bread and it has yeast, the marshmellows on top of my daughter's sweet potatoes had high fructose corn syrup (yep, I stole hers :o ), tea had caffeine :blink: and the fudge had butter (dairy) and marshmellows (high fructose corn syrup). :blink::o

Just thought I'd offer a couple of alternatives for these items that are friendly for you so that you don't have to go through this again:

1) stuffing made from short grain rices (gives a similar texture, though slightly different) and the same seasonings and other ingredients (with more water) as regular stuffing

2) sweet potatoes can be served just baked, with or without a bit of brown sugar, or with a ginger glaze (ginger, sugar, water poured over fry cuts near the end of baking), or mashed, or wedged

3) herbal teas that are very similar to caffeinated tea, or just a fun herbal

4) raw brownies have a fudge like consistency (if you choose) without any of those ingredients, or make them dairy free

I know that lots of people stick hard to tradition, but I'm a fan of making new traditions when the old ones just aren't working any more. :)

marciab Enthusiast

Thanks,

Yum ! Those sound good. I actually had my own sweet potatoes made with brown sugar and cinamon and was happy with them until I spooned out some of my daughters for her. Then it was just too much for me. :blink:

BTW, what are short grain rices ?

I love ginger. Have your tried crystalized ginger on your baked potatoes with EVOO and raw cashews ?

kristend Rookie
Just thought I'd offer a couple of alternatives for these items that are friendly for you so that you don't have to go through this again:

1) stuffing made from short grain rices (gives a similar texture, though slightly different) and the same seasonings and other ingredients (with more water) as regular stuffing

2) sweet potatoes can be served just baked, with or without a bit of brown sugar, or with a ginger glaze (ginger, sugar, water poured over fry cuts near the end of baking), or mashed, or wedged

3) herbal teas that are very similar to caffeinated tea, or just a fun herbal

4) raw brownies have a fudge like consistency (if you choose) without any of those ingredients, or make them dairy free

I know that lots of people stick hard to tradition, but I'm a fan of making new traditions when the old ones just aren't working any more. :)

HI! I'm so confused...so why are marshmallows and tea bad? or can some people not have that for other allergen/intolerance issues? Please clarrify because I love and eat both of these things...

Thank you!

tarnalberry Community Regular
Yum ! Those sound good. I actually had my own sweet potatoes made with brown sugar and cinamon and was happy with them until I spooned out some of my daughters for her. Then it was just too much for me. :blink:

BTW, what are short grain rices ?

I love ginger. Have your tried crystalized ginger on your baked potatoes with EVOO and raw cashews ?

lol... I only made one version of each dish for thanksgiving. :) No multiples here. People could all eat the same thing.

short grain rices are ... rices that have short grains. :P the grain of rice varies in length, depending on the variety you get. basmati and jasmine, for instance, tend to be long grain, and the standard 'white rice' is often long grain as well. sushi rice is a short grain rice. arborio rice (risotto) is a short grain rice, and one that is, IMHO, a must for part of the rice blend for a rice based stuffing. there's also short grain brown rice availabe (Lundberg is the only brand I've seen so far). (note that this is different from 'baby' rice.) the short grain rices are more 'glutinous' (not in a way that's bad for us), in that they have more starch that will come out in the cooking - this requires more stirring and adding liquid slowly, but produces a creamy texture.

I haven't tried ginger on baked sweet potatoes, but that sounds like a fabulous idea!

HI! I'm so confused...so why are marshmallows and tea bad? or can some people not have that for other allergen/intolerance issues? Please clarrify because I love and eat both of these things...

Thank you!

some people have problems with corn syrup and caffeine. it's not an issue from a gluten perspective, however.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

Marshmellows have corn starch ( I looked - I knew it was corn something ) and tea has caffeine. Both are problems for me and a lot of other people too.

Otherwise, kraft marshmellows are gluten free ... not sure which teas are gluten-free....

jerseyangel Proficient

Thank you!

Hi :)

Marshmallows and tea are not bad foods, nor do *most* of them contain gluten. (Always check, though, because some teas do contain gluten--never seen a marshmallow that does, but anything's possible) Some of us have other food intolerances--corn (which is in marshmallows) is a common one. Also, caffeine can bother some folks. I can't over eat grains, or I get symptoms.

If you don't have problems with corn or caffeine, then those things should be fine for you.

marciab Enthusiast

Thanks for the info on rice. I only knew about white, brown and wild. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Marcia--

I hope you feel better soon. A couple days back on your regular diet should do it :D

How is the walking going? I meant to ask you that earlier, but forgot :blink:

marciab Enthusiast

The walking is going great, wonderful, fantastic ... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I am walking normal all of the time no matter how tired I am or how far I walk.

I absolutely love being able to walk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was speed walking in and around people the other day and had to stop myself. For some reason, the people I was mowing over DID NOT understand .... :P

I still can not believe it. It took me several months to accept that I could actually sleep without drugs, so I am giving this a few months too.. I keep waiting to have a CFS relapse ... :ph34r:

I am trying to make myself clean up the mess the contractor made when they remodelled my bathrooms, so I haven't tested my legs since Thursday. Evidently, drop clothes are optional. :angry:

I never feel weak or winded any more either though. Things just keep getting better ....

Aren't you sorry you asked ??? Marcia

My memory is still lousy .. How r u ? Did u have mobility issues too ???

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow! That's so great to hear :D

I'm good--no mobility problems.

Archived