This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Digesting Seeds

clhsc

clhsc Apprentice

I have begun not being able to digest seeds and nuts. Is this normal for us? I didn't have a problem before and this has only been in the past week that it has happen multiple time. My favorite snacks are sunflower seeds and peanuts and my bread has sesame seeds on it. Should I cut these out? Any one else have this problem?

My father has diverticulitis and cannot have seeds or nuts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

I had trouble digesting nuts when I first started eating them. But, I eat about 4 oz a day of a mix of raw hazelnuts, almonds, pecans, cashews, walnuts, brazil nuts and macadamia and I am fine with it.

The cooked ones are still too harsh for me, but I can eat the raw. I actually got sores on my tongue from walnuts in the beginning, but I don't anymore.

I was told to re-introduce foods a couple of times after you have been on this diet to see if you can handle them. So far this has worked for me.

Marcia

clhsc Apprentice

So, just to make sure I have this right, it's the celiac disease causing this problem too? I feel like other than veggies I am running out of things to eat! <_< I just really want to eat normal food again. Thanks for the advice. I will try again in a few months I guess.

marciab Enthusiast

Celiac disease flattens the villi in your small intestines thus causing a variety of digestive symptoms. If this heals properly (it normally does), you will start to digest foods again.

I had to eliminate soy, dairy, eggs and corn to get my digestive problems under control, but not everyone does.

You can still be intolerant or allergic to the nuts or seeds you are trying to eat.

You'll have to keep an eye on this while you are trying to re-introduce them. If your reaction is too severe, like immediate "D" or cramping or vomitting, or a rash, anaphylaxis, etc. then I would consider not eating these. :)

If however you simply get a little indigestion, or in my case sores on my tongue, I'd try it again.

For example, I am in the process of introducing coconut oil into my diet. I had one tsp a week ago and had reflux immediately. Today I tried it and did not have any reflux. But, since I'm not anxious to have reflux again, I will try it again in a few more days. This has been my pattern or re-introducing foods. So far this pattern has worked.

You can always have the allergy tests done, but my personal experience with these was that they are not reliable.

I eat a lot of veggies and fruits too. Some I never heard of before. :) I like most new things I try though.

Marcia

Copied this in for you from wikepedia -

Diverticulitis is a common disease of the bowel, in particular the large intestine. Diverticulitis develops from diverticulosis, which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) on the outside of the colon. Diverticulitis results if one of these diverticula becomes inflamed.

Complications

In complicated diverticulitis, bacteria may subsequently infect the outside of the colon if an inflamed diverticulum bursts open. If the infection spreads to the lining of the abdominal cavity, (peritoneum), this can cause a potentially fatal peritonitis. Sometimes inflamed diverticula can cause narrowing of the bowel, leading to an obstruction. Also the affected part of the colon could adhere to the bladder or other organ in the pelvic cavity, causing a fistula, or abnormal communication between the colon and an adjacent organ.

You dad can not have seeds or nuts because they can get trapped in the diverticulum.

Nancym Enthusiast

I haven't re-tried them again but I was having issues with sunflower seeds. They were coming out of me almost whole. But I think I found a supplement I was taking was giving me issues (Curcumin) and started taking Kefir and things are MUCH better. I should probably try the seeds again.

marciab Enthusiast

You really have to chew these down to nothing. I was / am guilty of not chewing my food completely so I had to learn how to eat slowly.

Saliva is your body's natural digestive enzyme and is the first step in the digestive process, so it is important to start here. This is why they tell you not to drink when you eat.

Raw seeds and nuts are loaded with nutrients and are a good source of essential fatty acids and protein. Google almonds, hazelnuts, etc.

Sesame seeds, the seeds found in strawberries, etc. cannot be digested, so if you have diverticulitis you are not supposed to eat these at all.

Marcia

clhsc Apprentice

Thanks for the help! I think I am just going to take it easy for a while then try to add them back.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aaascr Apprentice

I have difficulty in digesting them also, so I grind them

up in a food chopper and add it to salads, veggies, etc.

I also use it as a main ingredient in my veggie burgers.

clhsc Apprentice
I have difficulty in digesting them also, so I grind them

up in a food chopper and add it to salads, veggies, etc.

I also use it as a main ingredient in my veggie burgers.

How do you make your veggie burgers? Don't the Boca ones have gluten in them? I used to eat this all the time (I'm not a big meat eater).

Mary Contrary Rookie

I ate quite a few peanuts last night...E-Gads..am I ever in pain this morning...I am just healing up..only gluten free for 2 months now and so many things are bothering me...they were roasted in the shell, so I know there was nothing on then, not even salt..but a really bad thing to eat and also popcorn is a big no no I found out... :o

It is best to eat natural and very plan food I am learning that really fast..

Archived