This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anxieties/depression

BamBam

naturalmomma Newbie

I too experience so many emotional troubles with gluten. I was a fairly bright talented kid and changed overnight. Of course my family hasnt liked me much since ,they think Im crazy. I developed an eating disorder got pregnant at 17......not to blame it all on gluten and allergies but my experience is that coping skills for already excisting problems are virtually not there when gluten is injested. Gastero intestinal issues came out 10 years ago, first as weight loss and d, then the opposite. I am also short at 5 feet and the rest of my family is tall. So many years of doctor hopping marriage issues and antideprssants later(which never worked) I found a doctor that listened. She took my history height and did blood work and diagnosed me celiac. Mainly on how much the diet improved me. My gastero appointment is not for another 6 months so she advised me to go gluten free anyways and forget about the biopsy, Im going anyways cause my grandma who was the only other short stature in my family died of lymphoma(interestingly enough she got sick on wheat)I can definatly tell the difference!!! It was so bad that I started to get seizure symptoms from vitamin deficiencies. I had already been low gluten and thought It was wheat that triggered the symptoms,now realize that it was gluten and casien. Has any of your family been understanding? Mine arent, I have to stay clear of most. I see that some of you are christians have you made your church your home? I have three sons,one of which is autistic and the other two my doctor is shure they have celiac, I will always try to support my kids, feeling alone is the wost part of this illness. My hubby tries his best!!! This forum is probably an excellent way to get support everyone is going through some of the same things!!EXCELLANT!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sillyyakdidi Apprentice

someone on this thread mentioned "cheating", i am sorry, if you are really a celiac, you should NOT be cheating, it is so dangerous for you, it is like you aren't gluten-free at all, it is a big step back, and you should take care of yourself and really never "cheat" on purpose! Its like intentionally hurting your body. I'm sure someone on here could find a yummy gluten-free wing recipe for you. I didn't mean that to sound mean, I'm just worreid for you and hope your ealize how dangerous that is!!!That being said, i'm the most anxious person about gluten alive, its very hard being in college and dating and not being able to eat anything, like i'm sure you can all relate to.

nmw Newbie

Anxiety, brain fog and depression are my first indicators that I have been glutened. I was days away from going on anti-depressants when I figured out my gluten intolerance.

St. John's Wort needs time - usually a couple of weeks - to build up in the bloodstream before it is really effective.

I've used it since before I was diagnosed, and still use it now (a lesser dose).

I also use a custom herb tincture, from a local herbalist, that includes kava kava and motherwort. I am able to use it daily as needed, and in case of an anxiety attack. I haven't had any anxiety (except for the rare glutening) since I went gluten-free.

Always check w/ your doc before adding any herbs or supplements, including SJW. And if you use SJW, check for contraindications for use with any mood/pain drugs.

I agree that a significant number of people with anxiety (and possibly depression) probably have gluten issues. Not to mention those w/ IBS, Crohn's/Colitis, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia...

Oh yeah...and don't cheat, people. We are living gluten-free for a lot of good reasons. :)

Yenni Enthusiast

I ate Turkey at Thanksgiving and even though it said it was gluten free and didn't look like it had any soy I got sick from it. I tried twice to make sure. ;) I meant to call the company, but never got to it.

I am gonna try fresh Turkey next year instead. Thanks for the tip.

I have problems with anxiety when glutened/eating anything I am intolerant to. I am currently trying out egg..seems my stomach is okay with it, but I have felt "off" since I started with it. Not sure yet what I'll do.

I have had problems with anxiety and depression in my past. As I got sicker it got worse. I am sure it is related to the food.

I felt the menatl part of this has sometimes made me into some one else. I almost felt like I lost myself in all the symptoms and the fear. I felt I just feared everything in the end. I still have a long way to go to get back to my old self I feel.

naturalmomma Newbie

I understand the losing yourself. I have been low carb for a long time to alleviate the symptoms, didnt realize it was the gluten though low carb is low gluten. My anxiety and depression gets really bad with gluten, but at the time I thought it was candida and atributed it to too many carbs. Now that I realize the problem, wow much better. Of course when you are pregnant you deffinatly cant go low carb! So svere symptoms come back. I thought it was the pregnancy, then breast feeding you cant go low carb and I breastfed for a year, not prgnant anymore hmmm. My new doctor figured it out right away. Attempted to do a gluten challenge, wow big disaster. Never again, the depression and anxiety got so bad !!! Then I took away all gluten wow!! By that time I was so scared of food ! THe other symptoms fatigue, muscle pain tummy probs in my opinion pale in comparison to the emotional. Isnt it amazing that taking away a couple of things in your diet can make such a difference?Life is good( I also reccomend doing an food intolerance test, its cost about 400 dollars fro 100 foods, Im in canada so I sent it out.Ususally your insurance company will reimburse. I known the pain for so long and figured out the reliefe. I will never injest gluten on purpose again!!!!

JodiC Apprentice
I am one who gets anxiety and, to a lesser degree, depression from gluten.

Before I was gluten-free, (I was sick, but undiagnosed for 20 years) I would get panic attacks out of nowhere. These almost always occured at restaruants.(!)

It's gotten somewhat better--I've been gluten-free for a year and a half. I still get anxiety and feel very sad and even paranoid when glutened.

I did try an antidepressant, but the side effects were too much. I'm holding off on trying another--I may try St. John's Wort first.

Try Wellbutrin XL 300mg per day. Works like a charm for the depression and anxiety. Tricylics and other antidepresants will cause you to gain weight and will quite working in about 3 months so you have to keep getting more and more and more. so not use St John's Wort if you have other autoimmune conditions as this supplement may interact. do your research carefully. Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
Maeve Newbie

I know the turkey question is an old one, but wanted to add something... We use a baking bag when we cook turkey or sometimes big chicken. It cuts down on the time. When you do this, or even if you don't, it is customary for us to put a couple of tbls. of flour in the bag. Also, some may add flour wtih salt and pepper to skin. So, when eating out, you'd have to worry about the injected stuff or if flour was used. Just occurred to me I made a delicious soup with Turkey frozen from my pre DX days (DX only one month). Just realized, I can't eat the darn thing. :( . Thanks for all the info. on anxiety, I will keep reading this forum, just started but it is helpful, all these things that you experienced but didn't tell or just thought it was me and I was crazy. Feel better all ready, although need to lose weight. Will follow some advice, more pure food. I find I am eating more lactose free milk, and my pizza is good, but this is probably why weight is up not down. Thanks. Maeve

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
Miki S Newbie
I too experience so many emotional troubles with gluten. I was a fairly bright talented kid and changed overnight. Of course my family hasnt liked me much since ,they think Im crazy. I developed an eating disorder got pregnant at 17......not to blame it all on gluten and allergies but my experience is that coping skills for already excisting problems are virtually not there when gluten is injested. Gastero intestinal issues came out 10 years ago, first as weight loss and d, then the opposite. I am also short at 5 feet and the rest of my family is tall. So many years of doctor hopping marriage issues and antideprssants later(which never worked) I found a doctor that listened. She took my history height and did blood work and diagnosed me celiac. Mainly on how much the diet improved me. My gastero appointment is not for another 6 months so she advised me to go gluten free anyways and forget about the biopsy, Im going anyways cause my grandma who was the only other short stature in my family died of lymphoma(interestingly enough she got sick on wheat)I can definatly tell the difference!!! It was so bad that I started to get seizure symptoms from vitamin deficiencies. I had already been low gluten and thought It was wheat that triggered the symptoms,now realize that it was gluten and casien. Has any of your family been understanding? Mine arent, I have to stay clear of most. I see that some of you are christians have you made your church your home? I have three sons,one of which is autistic and the other two my doctor is shure they have celiac, I will always try to support my kids, feeling alone is the wost part of this illness. My hubby tries his best!!! This forum is probably an excellent way to get support everyone is going through some of the same things!!EXCELLANT!!!

Hi Natural Momma! I've been learning alot about celiac in the past few months and finding that I feel much better off of gluten as well. I know have more energy and don't seem as depressive as before. I've also got nut, milk and egg allergy... so learning to cook properly has been a lot of fun... actually. Very creative! :D Naturalmomma, do you know of a support group, or Celiac Association in Chilliwack? Please let me know Miki S

Archived