This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Celiac Cause Severe Neurological Problems?

imagine22

imagine22 Contributor

Hi, not to discount the very important and serious neurological problems i have briefly seen on this board caused by celia, but im wondering if celiac can cause severe depression and anxiety.

I have celiac and no problems apart from fatigue and a bit of 'brain fog' but my brother has had severe depression and anxiety problems since he was a small child and has been in and out of hospital for them for years. I was just wondering if celiac can cause that type of extreme neurological problems? he has not been tested as yet (he isnt the most compliant of people!).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Electra Enthusiast

In my opinion YES it can!! I have develeped several phobias, and avoidance personality disorder and even some paranoid personality disorder because of my Celiac. I can't say that for sure, but now that I look back it all makes sence. One of the major symptoms of Celiac is IRRITABILITY (to the point of mood changes and behavioral changes) that tells me that most of my phobias are a result of fears from having an attack!! I also have a sleep disorder and am now wondering if I aquired that as a result of my Celiac Disease. If I go gluten free and feel better could I possibly end up with no sleep disorder? Interesting question don't you think ;-)!!

Ursa Major Collaborator

Yes, especially the type of gluten intolerance that doesn't cause the villi to flatten (and doctors often won't take you serious if you don't have obvious gut damage) will cause neurological damage instead. It has been proven many times over that celiac disease can cause depression, anxiety, mood changes, autism, ADHD, learning disabilities and even schizophrenia (just to name a few of the many problems gluten can cause).

daffadilly Apprentice

YES, YES, & YES... I was telling a doctor friend recently that I do not think that there is a person that is celiac or gluten sensitive that is not depressed on some level, before going on the gluten-free diet which has helped me a lot... depression is one of the main symptoms along with a lot of other stuff, and a lot of people have no symptoms or only one or two.

Nancym Enthusiast

Check out The Gluten File link in my signature. There's a lot there on neurological disorders, depression and anxiety and gluten sensitivity.

Guest nini

severe depression for years and severe anxiety disorder were just a couple of my symptoms. I kept being sent to psychiatrists who in turn said I didn't need to be there... (counseling didn't do the trick, meds didn't do the trick) the only thing that helped was getting gluten out of my diet and the lifelong battle with depression and anxiety lifted... (I still get it in small doses especially if accidentally glutened but for the most part I'm now depression free)... oh and seizure free too.

jerseyangel Proficient

Definately. I had panic attacks dating back about 20 years. I haven't had one since going gluten-free, but I still have anxiety which is much worse and is coupled with paranoia and moodiness when glutened.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived