This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Gluten/soy/dairy - Borderline Corn

Sprue that :)

Sprue that :) Rookie

Greetings all.

Slightly frustrated; strike that - really frustrated. I'm gluten/soy and casein intolerant -- and feel like i'm pushing the envelope with corn.

Recently I've been looking the other way if something has a little soy in it -- not a good idea.

There are so many questions I have for my fellow intolerance-ites. But let me start with one -- do you know of any calcium supplements w/o gluten/soy/milk?

Calcium is my big worry right now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gadgetgirl Newbie

Calcium Citrate plus Magnesium & Vitamin D - the Vitamin Shoppe brand. They have stores (not sure what part of the country you are in) or you can order online at vitaminshoppe.com. Per the label "No yeast, corn wheat, sugar, salt, soy, starch, dairy, citrus, fish, perservatives, artificial colors or flavors added". The other ingredients are gelatin, water and magnesium strearate.

I am also gluten, dairy (casein), soy, yeast, almond, hazelnut intolerant - plus I try to avoid corn and most other grains. I take 2 capsules 3 times a day to supplement the calcium I get through my diet. I use Vance's Darifree (it is a powder you mix with water) in my baking and on my cereal - it is fortified with calcium as well.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regina

P.S. I've felt your frustration - but I've also discovered a whole world of tastes now that I have no choice but to eat my fruits and veggies in my diet. And all the hassle well worth it - I've felt SO much better since I got the foods that I was intolerant out of my diet. Can't believe how crappy I used to feel on a daily basis.

corinne Apprentice

Me too - I'm intolerant of all grains (including rice), dairy, soy, yeast, beans, nuts, most veggies (except squash and carrots), most fruit (except bananas, avocado and non-acidic canned fruit). With time I have come to find things I really enjoy (carmelized squash - yummy). I take citracal for calcium.

kabowman Explorer

I use the CVS non-name brand calcium + D withouth any problems. Almost all meds have corn, I just try to keep them to a minumum and have been OK most of the time.

Once you get all this figured out, it gets so much better. I finally figured out the calcium suppliment that is added to all non-dairy milk and OJ was making me sick. I can drink Vance's and I fould a real OJ without the calcium, $6+ for a half gallon though.

I completely avoid soy and it is in a lot of lotions and soaps...just watch for them. I gave up puffs plus due to soy issues.

Hey, I discovered I can eat apples (bananas are out).

Sprue that :) Rookie

Thank you all for the help!

Recently I have eaten something with soy or milk bc i have no energy and am completely lethargic - in the way that only soy or milk (and gluten) make me feel. Kind of depressed about it.

I really appreciate your feedback though.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I've been there, too. It's hard to give up so many foods. Gluten is hard enough, but when you add soy, corn, egg, milk.... I mean, what's left!!!???

That's how one feels, anyway.

But, in reality, there's a lot left. It's just not convenient anymore. It does take time to get adjusted to a new way of eating, and there's a certain amount of getting over the loss and being depressed. But, given some time to get used to it all, the emotional downs get fewer and aren't quite as depressing.

I've been five months on this journey and I still feel sorry for myself now and then. But I will never go back to eating the things that make me sick. I may yearn for them, but I won't put them in my mouth.

I'm always encouraged by those on this board who have been at this longer than I have and they seem to have it much more "together" than I do... so that gives me hope. I'm looking forward to my one-year-mark of being allergen-free and knowing that I'll be so much better then.

Archived