• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

I'm New To This....could Eggs Be The Culprit?

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

First off - thanks for all the wonderful dialogue on this board. Where would we be without the internet for information sharing??? WOW

Anyway - a little about me. I was accidentally diagnosed with celiac disease in June, 03 by way of a biopsy during an enderoscopy (throat scope-whatever that's called). Anyway - after some initial research and preparation, I went gluten-free on September 9th (I have not had a beer in over 4 months - not even a sip - and it's near killed me...ha). Ok, on with the serious stuff.....

I have been gluten-free for 4 months and a week (with only one "known" accident). I can't tell you that I feel better because I was asymptomatic in the first place (as I said, I was diagnosed accidentally while ruling out a GI problem for some female problems I was having at the time). I have two questions for all of you:

1) When I had my follow-up appt. last week with the GI doc - we couldn't measure my improvement by talking about my symptoms because I never had any to begin with. So, he did a celiec-panel bloodwork to compare it with my baseline that I had back at time of diagnosis. He said I was improved in every antibody test (I think he said there were 4 or 5 categories?) that they ran. I went from a total antibody count of 308.6 down to a 26.8. I was elated (because that is over 90% improvement). But he basically said that, "if I thought I was gluten-free to think again...beacuse if that were the case my antibody levels would be at zero". After that comment, I wanted to kick him in the you-know-what. But I didn't. I was feeling so down after my appointment that I went and ate a half of a pizza (but no beers). Again, absolutely NO SYMPTOMS after having a half of a pizza and some fried cheese sticks. OK - so I haven't fallen off the gluten-free wagon - just had an angry episode. I just need to try harder to get that to a zero, I guess. I need to be more careful about cross-contamination and make less assumptions that things are ok. But it's very difficult when I have no outward symptoms to gluten.

This leads me to my next question.

2) It seems that since going gluten-free, I am reacting to EGGS. I seem to get terrible rumbling stomach pains and have endless watery diarrhea (like turning on a hose-sorry) shortly after I eat eggs. Could that be a culprit? And if so, how do I really find out if I am allergic to eggs? Is there a blood test I can ask the doc to order to determine if I am allergic to eggs?

Any advice or words of encouragement would greatly be appreciated at this time.

Thanks, in advance, for your support. God Bless.

Jen

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hi JEN,

It could be the eggs causing problems, but it wouldn't change your antibody levels to gluten. Although after 4 months the tests would not necessarily be at "zero" some people take 6 months or more to be able to reduce their levels to zero, and yours were exceptionally high. I have a few questions for you.

Do you routinely have anything else with the eggs that might also cause a problem?

Was there a significant amount of damage in your intestines, and if there was did you stop having dairy products, at least temporarily to allow yourself to heal?

As for testing, you could ask your doctor to order the RAST food allergy testing. They take a blood test and check for IgE reaction to certain foods, eggs being one of the top eight. The others being wheat, soy, milk, shellfish, fish, peanuts, and tree nuts (like walnuts or pecans). There is also a more detailed test of more than 100 foods, and I don't know much about that one. I know that with most true food allergies the reaction is typically outward, rash, hives, throat swelling, and such. Food intolerances are typically GI reactions. They are also harder to test for. You could check your self by doing an elimination diet of the suspect foods,

I imagine it would be hard to stick to the gluten-free lifestyle when you didn't have symptoms to begin with. Try not to have too many of those "angry eposides" though. :rolleyes: You don't want to continue to damage yourself inside.

By the way, did they ever figure out the "female" problems you mentioned. I was just wondering if they were caused by the Celiac Disease?

God bless,

Mariann

Hi Jen,

I'm getting ready myself to go on an allergy elimination diet and cannot have eggs while I do that. When I add them back in I'll be able to tell if I can take it or not. I have grown not to trust lab tests so I'm in the mindset to listen to my body. Good luck !

Mariann.......you have such wonderful information, we're lucky to have you here :).

Lily

Thanks Lily, I'm happy to share. I've always had a weird obsession with medical books and since I got on the internet it's been insane! :P I just seem to absorb what I read, at least when the topic interests me. My sister and a few of my friends lovingly refer to me as Dr.Mariann and call me to ask me what I think about their symptoms before they call the doctor... I study my medical encyclopedias and love to do research. I think it is because I have been suffering from the effects of gluten intolerance since I can remember (my earliest symptom I can remember was at 4 years old) and since the doctors couldn't figure it out, I have been on a lifelong quest for health...

God bless,

Mariann :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    vprovenzatn

• Topics

• Hi,  I am very sorry for posting back again. I have visited the consultant today and he said that the TTG is mildly elevated - does this mean it is a positive? The consultant said that as I tested negative for Celiac on three previous times, he thinks something else could be going on so came home worrying even more. The consultant has organised an endoscopy and requested it as a fast track and requested an urgent CT scan.  I was wondering if there is anything that I can do to best prepare for the endoscopy? Does my gluten amount seem to be enough with the 2 slices of bread on a morning? Is it also possible for the TTG to have become mildly elevated because of other conditions?  He mentioned to me that the colonoscopy didn't work really because of how it was clogged up and that the bowel prep didn't work.  I have also noticed that I am experiencing major constipation as well - I will have diarrhoea then it will fluctuate to constipation as well and have an awful gurgling sensation as soon as I eat anything like bread.  Thank you again for everyone on here. It is a wonderful forum. 
    • Hey y'all so I realized my allergy medicine probably affected the results of the IgE allergy blood tests. I tried to start eating gluten again so that I would be able to get the full blood panel from my GI but I can't do it. I ate two meals with gluten yesterday and ended up spending half the night in the bathroom throwing up because my body couldn't digest any of it. Do you know if there are any other ways a GI could diagnose possible celiac without me having to consume it?
    • Hi guys! I'm newly diagnosed (just over a month ago) and before my diagnosis booked a trip to Nepal and Tibet - both of which are bound to be super NOT gluten free and likely not gluten aware.  I know when travelling elsewhere it is recommended to get fresh produce etc from the grocery store and bring your own food. However, grocery store shopping will be next to impossible (in Tibet especially - I will be on a small tour driving through some very remote places!) and though Nepal may be slightly easier, I think it will be a challenge. I am fine to bring my own staples but note this trip is backpacking style and I will have barely enough room for (non-food) necessities so I unfortunately cannot bring an extra suitcase filled with food. I also doubt I will have access to microwaves for the Tibet portion of the trip. Can anyone offer the following advice: - have any of you traveled to these places or somewhere similar and how did you manage? - with limited space what would be the best staples to bring/what will stretch the farthest but take up the least space (I'm thinking a big bag of gluten-free oats? should be easy to get boiling water in most places) - CC issue is gonna be huge but what do you think is the safest bet to eat in this part of the world? Should I just live off steamed rice for the two weeks and take lots of vitamins and hope I can survive with the lack of nutrients? I'll try and add safe fruit and veg at every chance I get obviously.. (Note: fresh veggies are very scarce in Tibet - main diet it dumplings/momos, rice and yak meat - I assume the meat has a high chance of being marinated in unsafe soy sauce) - are there any pills/supplements/natural remedies to help me cope if I do get glutened (which is likely)? I heard of GliadinX - anyone have success with this? Also thinking maybe this would be a good time to invest in a Nima? Thank you so much! Any advice will be really helpful! (Also, please no comments on how I should cancel the trip, how getting glutened once will re-damage my intestines, how I should pack less clothes to fit more safe food etc! I know there is no beating Celiac and all the crappy consequences to eating gluten (I've been addicted to this website since getting diagnosed and have learned so much from you guys!) and that this is probably the worst vacation for a celiac lol. But this trip has been a life dream of mine and we actually booked it in lieu of having a wedding so for this reason I can't (won't) cancel it  I know I'm taking a huge risk and many would disagree with my decision but please positive comments on how I can be best prepared and reduce the risk/reduce the symptoms will be really appreciated!) Thanks Jes  
    • Hello. Been a while since I've been here. Not that I am necessarily better. But you've (the great peeps on this forum !  have been incredibly helpful and I know how to cope better, and I've made positive changes in mine and my daughter's lives. So, as you can see I am writing to ask you about this new EVIL I've just recently discovered is a neruo toxin, used often in frozen sea foods: Sodium triphosphate. For example; I've been eating frozen fish with gluten-free herbs and spices, added veggies for years and also frozen shrimp with hot butter and garlic. YUM! With no *apparent* side effects. I am not sure anymore...A few days ago, I had good serving of shrimp and the usual, butter with fresh garlic and a bowl of green leaf salad with olive oil and Himalayan salt and again garlic lol (a big fan of garlic here ) . Within an hour of eating, my abdomen was so bloated. I looked like I was pregnant and in my second trimester  . Wow! ...Ok, I thought to myself: WHAT did I ingest with gluten or milk, that could be the cause for this?...Everything seemed ok, over the last few days. So I had to read the ingredients of this shrimp. I guess something like instinct told me to do it. And BAM, I came across that thing: Shrimp, water, Sodium triphosphate. I did some searching online and did not find too much except that 'The United States Food and Drug Administration lists STPP as "generally recognized as safe." '  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_triphosphate   THIS means very little to me personally. NOT reassuring at all.  I found something which DID scare me: " Even though deemed safe for ingestion, this is one chemical you want to avoid if you've experienced reactions due to eating frozen fish.  Check for seafood products labeled as "dry" which means they have not been contaminated with the chemical.  Food products labeled as "wet" have usually been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate.

STPP, is a suspected neurotoxin according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health’s (NIOSH) Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances. Food-grade STPP may cause acute
      skin irritation, and prolonged contact with skin should be avoided. STPP  is listed on the U.S. Environmental 
      Protection Agency’s Federal  Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act as a registered pesticide and  it is also registered as an air contaminant under California’s  Occupational and Safety Health Act. The material safety data sheet lists STPP as toxic to the lungs with prolonged exposure having the potential to produce organ damage.  This neuro toxin also has the ability to cause internal inflammation from those suffering from autoimmune diseases.  Inflammation leads to painful flare-ups."   From this site: http://www.yourfibrosupport.com/fibro-relief-blog/side-effects-of-frozen-seafoodtreated-withsodium-tripolyphosphate It seems that there is one more evil to avoid. It's very hard to eat healthy, when you are on disability. It really is upsetting that even frozen fish which some of them I actually CAN afford, now are off the menu. The list just keeps getting smaller. I would like to point out that I have Candida, so it also means I can't eat things like Lentils or beans and the other gluten-free grains by the bucketfuls. I need to maintain a Paleo type diet. So, that's not cheap. We always have a lot of eggs at home and tuna and what meat I can afford, what is on sale, etc.   Been considering looking into free range meats and so on but that's not cheap. So, if I go that route, I'd have to split it with a person or two and probably buy a large freezer. Oh god. Just thinking aloud here...   I'd really appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.  Thanks very much for being so kind, L. 
    • I workout, but with lighter weight than normal. I never go to failure. But being tired is not one my symptoms.    
  • Upcoming Events