This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Runners

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

teamGF Newbie

Attention celiac runners!

Join Team Gluten Free to run with us and raise awareness and funds for celiac disease.

Team GlutenFreeTM is currently recruiting for the Lake Placid Marathon New York, half Marathon and 4 Person Relay. No running experience is required—only a great attitude!

We need all the runners we can get!!

Please contact me for more information at teamglutenfree_east@hotmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Robix Apprentice

Hi there,

Am a fitness instructor, I teach about 3 hours of cardio per day, and run about 25 miles per week also (the running is for my own head-clearing time - the teaching I do for others, plus am a bit addicted to adrenaline and endorphins). :blink:

For energy (given I don't eat processed carbs anymore - just carbs from fruits and veggies) I make sure my B-vitamins are high - through injections, but my iron I get through Floradix at the health food store. Iron pills just wreak havoc on my digestive system, whereas Floradix is made from concentrated prune and flower extracts and is highly and easily absorbable. (Plus it tastes good!) And the company that makes it certifies their products are gluten-free. :P

And I eat about 3,000 calories per day by grazing all day - I don't really have meals, I just constantly eat small portions. I find eating more protein helps keep my energy constant - but I do struggle to keep my weight on. :(

This may seem banal, but I find that if I skimp even a little on my sleep at night, my training suffers. So sleep and hydration are secret energy and endurance zappers that I pay close attention to, as much nutrition. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.... :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...
fifthprofession47 Newbie

The others here have some great information with regard to nutrition, so I will not try to compete with that. Sometime, IMO, you just have to get out and exercise. You may need to force yourself to do something. Exercise will increase energy. Combine that fact with the new nutrional advice found here and you could be on your way to improved energy. Good luck to you.

corinne Apprentice

My main passion is mountaineering, but I run several times a week as cross-training. I do at least one session of high intensity intervals and then some medium distance runs. I've been gluten free and completely grain free (no corn or rice either) for 3 months now. My carbs come entirely from fruits and veggies. I was really surprised that my energy increased even though I'm not eating very many carbs. I've noticed that my stamina has increased - I wasn't tired after 12 miles of rough off trail hiking on Sat. My running pace has actually decreased by 30 seconds per mile over the past 3 months and I'll be running a 5 K race in two weeks. Maybe it's the increased absorption of nutrients that has helped.

• 3 weeks later...
taz sharratt Enthusiast
I've had trouble finding my pace lately. Even when I run with a team member who is at a comfortable pace, I feel exhausted. My throat also burns, no matter how hydrated I am. Please help!!!!

Thank you,

jill i have the same problem since cutting out my usual carbs ive foung it really hard trane it doesn t help that im also lactose intolerant too so i feel like its dragging me down, i went to the gym today and couldnt get much faster than 10kph on the treadmil which was soul destroying when youve trained for the marathon and managed to get up tp speed 14.4 kph on a hill, it was a real bite in the bum as a lot of the girls were in the gym today all haveing a good look at me struggling along, what got me to leave was when a girl got on the tread next to me ( who i would normally out run) and ran faster than me i got really tearfull, souds stupid i know but being gluten intolerant hasnt taken away my competative streak. I came away from the gym thinking i was a total B as it wasnt her fault i couldnt run it was mine. Im wondering if lucozade tabs would be ok to suck on just b4 i start to trane?

• 3 months later...
em2005 Rookie

Hello,

I am somewhat new to running, although I have been running for the past 6 months or so. Right now I am doing a 10K training clinic and although I do not feel too out of shape and I know I don't look too out of shape (not that it really matters, but still), I am a BACK OF THE PACK runner. I run 4 times a week and I walk about an hour to and from the clinic location before I run (4 times a week), but I cannot seem to get anymore energy to run faster. Even folks who come out to train with us once or twice, who have never run before can run faster than I can.

I was feeling so discouraged until I read this thread. Now I'm thinking there might be something to this. I will definitely try to be more diligent about taking my vitamins. I also take the Floradix supplement, but have to admit that I get lazy from time to time. No more!

queenofhearts Explorer

In my case it is the opposite!

Actually I'm not a runner-- used to be but my knees won't allow it anymore. I was never super-fast but I did run 6 miles 3-4xweek religiously for years, & loved it for the physical & mental boost it gave me.

Now I use the elliptical trainer, which is not the same but still gives me a little of the old runner's rush... I give it my all for an hour, & keep track of how far I've "run".

Here's the thing-- since going gluten-free, I'm going faster & faster! I had hit a wall with my times & was just barely staying in one place until I went gluten-free & now it seems I have one pb after another! It's actually one of the most noticeable effects of going gluten-free in my case.

I've gained 10 lbs. & I think this may be part of it since I'm probably gaining some muscle. But I'm betting what is really making the difference is that iron is finally making it from my belly to my blood. I've been anemic practically forever. Haven't been tested since gluten-free, but I'm betting that's why I don't get so out-of-breath.

Has anyone else had this experience, & do you know if it is related to iron?

Leah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nadtorious Rookie

I had the same thing happen after I went gluten free, but I think it was a combination of a few things. Your body is absorbing more iron, but you're also able to use all the nutrients and energy from the foods you're eating. Iron deficiancy will definetely make you tired though! The first 6 months I was gluten free I CRAVED iron-rich foods all the time-I used to eat a couple Hershey bars during my bike rides :P

Nadia

queenofhearts Explorer
Your body is absorbing more iron, but you're also able to use all the nutrients and energy from the foods you're eating.

Hm, I hadn't thought of it quite that way, but it makes perfect sense. Whatever it is, it's a nice surprise to be getting faster at my age! In some ways gluten-free (for a Celiac at least) is almost like a fountain of youth!

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I've had trouble finding my pace lately. Even when I run with a team member who is at a comfortable pace, I feel exhausted. My throat also burns, no matter how hydrated I am. Please help!!!!

Thank you,

ive had the same prob, im almost weazing and it sounds like im haveing an ashama attack( im not). things have been better in the last 2-3 months and my energy has increased and my breathing, im\ not only back to normal now but have got better :lol: the balance of proper carbs and not suger for energy was a major issue for me which took ages to work through but finallly didit and was worth the effort ;)

Archived