This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can't Drink Wine Anymore?

kristend

kristend Rookie

I was getting much better and have not drank in a couple of months and the other night decided to have a couple of glasses of red wine. The next morning I was so sick and I am still feeling crappy, dizzy, and just out of it. This happens every time I drink red wine and I was wondering what might be going on because I thought wine is gluten free. Also, could it just be the alcohol? Has this happened to anyone else and will it get better as I heal? I have only been gluten-free for 6 months...

Please help because I'd hate to give up my wine!

Thanks,

Kristen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Sorry you're feeling sick. I don't know why the wine makes you sick. But really, no matter what the exact reason is, if it makes you sick, you have no choice but to give it up. That's unfortunately just the way it is. We don't always know the reason for these reactions.

If it was me, I'd know that wine is high in salicylates, and would make me sick for that reason. I can't tell you why you react.

celiacgirls Apprentice

Are you possibly casein intolerant, too? Apparently some wines use casein in the filtering process. I've noticed I might be reacting more to wine also so I've tried drinking vegan wine which does not use casein. So far, I think it might be working for me. The only one I have found so far is Frey's organic wine at Whole Foods.

kristend Rookie

Thank you!

How would I know if I was allergic to these things? Also, I get sick with any type of alcohol...I've even tried gluten-free rum and triple distilled vodka with club soda and I still feel horrible...

Thanks for your advice..

Guest cassidy

I can't drink wine anymore either. If I have 1/2 glass I feel horrible the next day - like I drank 3 bottles. White and red wine both cause me problems now.

I can actually tolerate vodka better than before. I don't drink very often but I have found that vodka doesn't even really give me a buzz at all anymore and it doesn't make me feel hungover no matter how many I have.

I have no idea why my reaction to alcohol changed so much.

kristend Rookie

It is all very strange and frustrating, I hope I can find something that I can tolerate and I'm hoping its all because I'm still early in the healing process.

lovegrov Collaborator

My wife does not have celiac but has developed a near complete intolerance to red wine. She used to drink it with no problems but now it makes her sick. Your problem could be related to celiac, but it's NOT because there's gluten involved.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dragonmom Apprentice

could be sulfites in the wine.

skore Newbie

Hi there!

I have a hard time with all alcohol now too, the next morning I feel like someone filled my veins with lead. I also feel the effects immediately, where before I had to have one or more drinks before I felt buzzed. Randomly I have also found that I have a harder time with red wine than white, it will often make me feel completely sick to my stomach. I still drink once in a while, I'm too stubborn to give it up, I just make sure that I have nothing to do the next day.

As you are still in the early stages of healing I would reccommend going lite (maybe one small glass of wine - 1/2 full - instead of a couple glasses) so you can really see how you react to it, how much is too much, just right, etc. And maybe switch to white for a bit.

Also, I would drink match, ie: MINIMUM of same amount of water as alcoholic drinks - better if you drink even more water. Also good if you drink at least one big glass of water before you think you will have a drink, and especially when you get home. Oftentimes you can be even a little dehydrated and it makes all the difference to how hard the alcohol hits you and how bad you feel afterward.

I would also recommend taking something like an Emergen-C or a multi vitamin either before or after your night out, it will give you a good boost of vitimins (especially B's) that your body needs to replenish after the alcohol.

I'm not trying to advocate drinking here, I have just found that these things generally make a big difference in how I feel after I've had a drink. Good luck! :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

My guesses are that your body doesn't handle alcohol that well now since you may still be healing or that you are allergic/intolerant to something else in the wine.

I can have problems with wine. Certain wines can contain casein (a milk protein) and sulphites. I am allergic to milk and metabisulphite so I'm assuming that was my problem. I have had certain wines with no problems. I have found a list of vegan wines: Open Original Shared Link

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I use to be able to drink 3 glasses of wine over the course of a meal and feel fine. Now 1 glass and I get drunk faster and feel terrible the next day. My theory is that my gut is very leaky still (I have other digestive issues as well) and that the minute I have a drink instead of being absorbed thru my stomach at a "normal" pace it just leaks right into my blood stream. I swear as I drink it I can feel it affecting me right away.

I still drink but I have only one glass over the course of an evening and I have a H2o chaser as I drink the wine. Pretty much its a sip of one and a gulp of the other (you guess which is which!). And I'm doing ok with it that way. All alcohol effects me much faster now but wine is the very worst one for me.

susan

kristend Rookie

Thank you everyone! I too am stubborn to give it up because it is so much nicer to have a glass of wine than any of the other liquors. I think I will give my body a rest and then slowly try and drink it and see if that bothers me. I too get buzzed immediately after my first sip. It's a great feeling, but don't think thats normal :)

Thanks for all of your advice and recommendations...

-Kristen

• 9 months later...
winsomelosesome Newbie
I was getting much better and have not drank in a couple of months and the other night decided to have a couple of glasses of red wine. The next morning I was so sick and I am still feeling crappy, dizzy, and just out of it. This happens every time I drink red wine and I was wondering what might be going on because I thought wine is gluten free. Also, could it just be the alcohol? Has this happened to anyone else and will it get better as I heal? I have only been gluten-free for 6 months...

Please help because I'd hate to give up my wine!

Thanks,

Kristen

could be a number of factors.. primary issues with wine and most processed foods is the chemical sulfides. there's too many in most processed foods.. alcohols and many other things where it really should not be any more. there was suppose to be a regulation on how many sulfides are safe and what numbers aren't.. it's been known to make people really sick and also cause death in bad reactions.

Archived