This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cold Lunches At Shcool

joemoe003

joemoe003 Apprentice

last year i ALWAYS brought lunch to school which was a side salad from mc donalds baby carrots and and gluten-free peanut butter cookies. i would eat that everyday...everyday! now this year i need variety what are some good ideas for cold lunch? something quick, eazy, and different from the other day and that people wont tease me about cuz im eating "rabbit food" that gets on your nerves after awhile!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Here are my ideas, I am sure more people will offer a lot too :D I think you should talk to someone at your school, explain your situation or have your parents write a note and ask if they will allow you to warm your lunch in a microwave, my daughters school lets her and she's only 9.

Cold lunch

Ham and cheese rolled up

Tuna Salad with gluten-free pasta

egg salad or boiled eggs

fruit salad

Warm lunch

Chicken or any other meat

gluten-free Soup (Progresso chicken and wild rice is gluten-free)

Chili

mashed potatos

Ok maybe I didn't have as many ideas as I thought, ;) I know I pack a meat (chicken, pork chops, hamburger patty), fruit roll-up, gluten-free cookies and chips for my daughters lunch.

I hope you get some good ideas, I wouldn't want to eat salads every day either.

celiac3270 Collaborator

My school provides me with a hot gluten-free lunch......nearly always fish. Anyway, what I have done, which works and can last....maybe 5-7 hours is get an insulated container and put spaghetti or mac. and cheese in it. I don't do this for school, but I have done it for other occasions where I need to bring my own food.

Cold lunch.......sandwiches......I don't know what you like on them, but they're easy, I guess, except PB & J might get soggy........g2g for now, but that's just a bit.

j9n Contributor

I just bought the Kinnikinick white sandwich bread over the internet and today had my first sandwich in along time! I toasted the bread first and kept the other ingredients in baggies then made it when I wanted to eat it so it would not be soggy. I also had some potato chips and precut carrots and celery sticks. Also my favorite is Thai soup bowls. I get hot water from the coffee maker (i am sure the cafeteria could give you hot water), let it sit for a few minutes. I love the lemon grass and chili. Sometimes I have rice cakes and peanut butter. I am going to try rice cakes topped with either a tuna or chicken salad.

I also made "granola" bars with various chopped nuts, flax seed meal, raisins, coconut. I copied a recipe from allrecipes.com and just changed the type of flour, very good and nutritious.

Hope this helps!

celiac3270 Collaborator
kept the other ingredients in baggies then made it when I wanted to eat it so it would not be soggy

Oooh....good idea...as simple as it is, I wouldn't have thought to do that :lol:

Do you have any additional allergies/intolerances. Genisoy makes two gluten-free bars....both have PB in the name.....some Southern Chunky kind and a honey pb something.....

• 7 months later...
teeta Newbie

Hello i am in High school and since we are under the disabiliy act schools are supposed to provide us with food but my parents and i dont really trust them so instead they let me use the microwave and i eat leftovers like almost everyday another good thing is corn tortillas and i nuke them for like 30 sec and then i put colby cheese and ham in them its really good and i eat cheetos and fruit snacks and candy and chips and homemade cookies (we use the tollhouse recipe but use our vanilla and flour, substituting is great!) but thats what i eat and i am happy :D

• 2 months later...
angellove839 Rookie

Even if the gluten-free bread is good, I usually have one piece of it and put lunch meat and cheese and tomato on top and eat it like a pizza. Its really good and your mouth doesnt get chalked full of starch like with 2 pieces.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gfinnebraska

I recently made roll-ups using a piece of head lettuce, and then adding ham, turkey, tomatoe, cheese and mayo ~ then rolling it up. It was easy to eat and yummy!! Add some Stax chips and fruit/gluten-free cookie... no one can make fun of that!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

You can make "hot pockets" with Chebe the night before. Roll it flat, put cheese, ham, etc in the middle, pinch it closed and bake. Bring it to school and either heat it in the micro for a few seconds, or eat it cold.

We also put chopped pepperoni and mozzerella in chebe bread and make Pizza sticks. Make those at home, bring them to school with a side of sauce for dipping. They can be eaten cold. They serve gluten full pizza sticks at my child's school.

Tinkyada pasta will stay firm for spaghetti or mac and cheese (kraft velveeta).

Nachos. Bring tortilla chips and a baggie full of cheese. Micro at school for a few seconds and have those small tupperware sides of salsa, sour cream... Baggies of chopped lettuce and tomato, too, to dump on top.

Kinnikinnick makes good bagels. Bagel sandwiches. They're filling.

Is soup or stew too embarassing? Just bring a thermos of the stuff from home.

I pack my kid hot dogs in beans with gluten free crackers on the side.

I lightly toast Kinnikinnick white tapioca bread for sandwiches and pack them. They don't get mushy or gluey. Never a problem. I put anything he wants on them and no one knows it's not "normal" bread because it looks like regular white bread. Tastes good too.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Sorry if some of this stuff has already been mentioned but this is what I eat for lunch at university, but I have access to a microwave.

Amy's gluten-free dinners Open Original Shared Link

Thai Kitchen gluten-free dinners Open Original Shared Link

Left overs from dinner the night before

Tinkyada spiral noodles with Herbed Tomato & Wine Ragu sauce

Tuna salad sandwiches

Peanut butter sandwiches

Rice cakes and peanut butter

EnviroKiz dry cereal

Frozen mixed veggies heated up in the microwave with soy sauce

Salad

melly Rookie

I was woudering do people make fun of you if you use a microwave this is my first year gluten free

and i dont want kids making fun of me

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

The High School I went to for three years had a microwave sitting on a counter at the side of the lunch room. Lots of people used it all the time. In between classes it would even be used for popcorn, too. The High School I went to for my last year did not have one out that I remember. I am very into art and the art teachers had one and kids in class would use it a lot to do popcorn and heat up different foods during class. If you get teased for using one in the lunch room perhaps you can talk to a teacher and use one in the teachers lounge or in someones office. I can't see people teasing you for heating up food but it depends on your school. If you are scared maybe have a few of your friends go up with you to use it. If you do get teased don't let it stop or hurt you. You can heat up your food all you want and it shouldn't be any concern to anyone else.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I was woudering do people make fun of you if you use a microwave this is my first year gluten freeand i dont want kids making fun of me
I heat up food all the time while I'm at university and have never been made fun of. Actually, people usually comment on how good my food looks and smells.

However, I know what you mean though... some kids in grade school can be very mean. If people make fun of you for trying to eat, than that is their problem and they are very immature. I don't think anyone would say anything though.

ILOVEOMC Enthusiast

:D Hi,

My son has taken apple slices to dip in natural peanut butter, Enviro kids rice bars, natural applesauce, frozen blueberries, peanuts and raisins, and yogurt with chocolate chips in it. Hope this helps alittle. Also Hormell Peperoni is gluten-free and that is good for finger food!

cdford Contributor

Sometimes we grill up a whole lot of boneless chicken breast and then make chicken salad out of them. Put them in a small cooler or thermos type bowl and it works well. Add a side of carrots or broccoli and ranch dressing or a small salad if you'd like.

Jenn's school allowed her to keep an area in the kitchen with her condiments so she did not have to take them everyday. We just labeled them with her name and she went back and got them when she needed them. They also allowed her to use the microwave as needed so leftovers were always an option.

We also send cheese squares or meat/cheese roll-ups. Kroger has gluten-free deli meats either in the meat department or ask the deli to clean the machines. That is easy with a side of chips or cheese puffs. Pudding cups are a great quick and easy dessert.

We are limited on gluten-free soups, but Progresso has several from which we can choose.

A lot of times, if you choose meats and small amounts of veggies, folks think you are just on one of those low carb diets and don't question it much.

Ashley Enthusiast

For my lunch, I usually take some Pistachios, or any kind of nuts, a whole fruit like a banana or grapes, and instead of a sandwich, I make something like a 'meat roll'. I take a piece of turkey pastrami, swipe a thin layer of some green onion dip on it and place a baby dill pickle on it. Then, roll it up, stick a tooth piece through it and there you go! Hopefully, this will help you.

Archived