This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Venting About The Weight Issue

Guest redkms

Guest redkms

Hi - I am new to the gluten-free diet (about 1 1/2 months) and have noticed the same thing. Suddenly my scale has advanced drastically, and seems to be on the rise every time I weigh. I have noticed that I am also hungy all of the time and nothing seems to satisfy that hunger. I never had to worry about my weight before and feel I am about to tread in a teritory I have never been before. As I have been reading the labels and going to Whole Foods for gluten-free products, I've noticed that the calorie content and fat content can be pretty high in some of these food products - it is almost shocking. For me, I am battling whether my joint problems are from celiac's disease or Rheumatoid Arthritis, as I have tested positive for both. The diet is critical right now (don't want the biopsy), because I would rather have a yeast allergy than RA. It is getting a little depressing with the weight gain, combined w/the prednisone (currently down to 7 mg per day, start 6mg on Monday).

I went through a sweet stage and then a Captain Crunch (actually 4 boxes in one week - don't have any problems with oats). Now, I am at the panic stage and trying to forgoe any cravings I have because I don't like the weight gain or the "bloated" look or feel. I've lost my waist and all of my weight seems to be around the middle and not elsewhere.

So, I need some suggestions for some healthy snack food (other than raisins and carrots), and maybe some low-carb ones as well - I want to start watching my fat and sugar intake as well.

Thanks for listening and thanks for helping, anyone who answers. Does anyone also know of any support groups in Houston, Texas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Hi Redkms:

If you're worried about weight gain, as long as you're gluten-free, don't focus on the calories or fat grams, but focus on how you eat and whether you choose foods which actually satisfy your hunger or just make you hungrier. Is your 'hunger' true physiological hunger or are you eating to cope with stress, boredom, sadness, loneliness or frustration? If you DO wait for true physiological hunger before eating, do you choose foods which satisfy that hunger? Or do you choose foods which TASTE good, but just leave you hungrier or craving more? Do you STOP eating when you are physiologically satisfied, or when your plate or even the serving dish is empty?

After learning to control my weight by only eating when hungry, foods which satisfied that hunger and STOPPING when satisfied, before STUFFED, I experienced more and more excruciatingly painful (undiagnosed) celiac symptoms. After I learned those symptoms were celiac and went gluten free (and later had to avoid casein and soy which also gave me symptoms), I started gaining a pound a month. I just rationalized that I needed to focus on getting well and not worry about the weight. When I had gained 5 pounds, I decided to reexamine my eating habits. :o I WAS often eating before hunger and almost ALWAYS eating PAST satisfaction. :blink:

True, some gluten-free breads are higher in calories than regular gluten containing breads, but you can use open faced sandwiches and limit the amounts. Ialso found some pretty low calorie/high fiber (which is important if constipation is one of your celiac symptoms) gluten-free breads through Ener-G foods. Also corn tortillas for tacos or wrap sandwiches are pretty low calorie. However, I try to include a LOT of naturally gluten free foods, like fruits, vegies, meats, nuts, etc. in my gluten/dairy/soy free diet, rather than focussing on lotsa gluten-free breads, pasta and cookies! ;)

From my experience with 'low-fat', if I don't eat adequate fat at every meal, I can feel physically full (actually stuffed) in my stomach with low fat fare, but STILL crave something more. I've heard it takes 15-20 minutes for our bodies to register 'satisfied' after we begin eating. However, if I eat fats with the other proteins, fiber and carbs in my meal, I feel progressively satisfied a LOT sooner. If the 'low-fat' approach really worked, our nation wouldn't have become progressively more overweight since the low-fat craze appeared. :lol:

You can eat any gluten-free foods you like between the boundaries of hunger and satisfaction and still lose weight, if you obey those body cues. Good luck! ;)

BURDEE

Alexolua Explorer

Hiya redkms.

I really don't have any helpful advice I could add to what Burdee has already said. But, did want to ask if you know for sure Captain Crunch is gluten-free? I just spent awhile looking for it on yahoo, and couldn't find any sites saying so. Now that doesn't mean it isn't gluten-free, just wanted to ask to make sure. Like did ya call the company? Think I'd like to eat it too! lol

I've lost my waist and all of my weight seems to be around the middle and not elsewhere.

It's weird, because I've actually lost weight.. but seems like my middle has gotten bigger too! That's nutty.

But you aren't alone in the craving food. I normally get that way later in the evening usually. And I've been wanting food, even when my tummy was full.. and saying no more. Oh well.. fun.

An idea did occur to me. Have you been drinking enough water? Sometimes if you aren't, your body will ask for food, when all it really needs is more fluids.

Good luck.

Guest redkms

Hi Alexolua:

I didn't call the company about Captain Crunch, just read the ingredients on the back of the box. I have heard that it is gluten free and then I heard that the company couldn't say that the product wasn't run on the same lines at their "wheat" products. I have not had ANY reaction to it, other than wanting more. So far, I have given it up for 5 days (and that is pretty spectacular for me). I did find this stuff called Gorilla Munch at Whole Foods by EnviroKids. It is not quite the same flavor, but fairly close. It is a little crunchier and doesn't get soggy and is a decent substitute. So, I tried that this week. It is a little expensive, but until I can wean myself off of it, the cost is worth it to know I am being safe. Envirokids has several cereals that are gluten free, one even very close to the flavor of Cocoa Puffs....it is good too.

Thanks for your response. I guess I can kiss my waist goodbye until I can get my eating under control, the prednisone also increases your appetitie, so I have a lot of controlling to do.

bigapplekathleen Contributor

HI there,

Watch out for Gorilla Munch. There is a high incidence of cross-contamination with their products. It makes me SOooooo sick.

I read your post with great interest and empathy. I have been on a gluten-free diet for 13 months now. For the first month I was starving all the time, despite eating more than I felt I had ever eaten before. After about a month and a half, that feeling went away. I have radically changed my diet since that time. I don't really eat many grains at all (not really even rice!). I eat mostly meats, fish, veggies and fruit. Because I am eating so much protein, my gut healed faster than expected, I am RARELY hungry, and I have lost about 42 pounds in a year. I am now a size 8 (down from 14). When I eat gluten-free grains, I try to eat less than I would have before the gluten-free diet. For example, instead of eating an entire gluten-free english muffin with jam, I eat HALF of the muffin and instead fill up on egg whites, veggies and fruit.

I was also worried when I saw you were eating Captain Crunch. I have never seen that on a gluten-free food list. The other concern I would have for you is that cereal is nearly ALL sugar. The more you eat, the more hungry you will become. It's a vicious cycle.

The prednisone is probably a HUGE culprit in your hunger, though. The few times that i took that in my life, I was plagued by constant munchies and a weight gain of 1 pound a day !!!!

I wish you the best as you adapt to the gluten-free diet. For me, it's been a life-changing event. I am thankful every day for the doctor who finally said "I think you are allergic to wheat." Of course, it wasn't an "allergy," but she was on the right track and got me to the doctors who could help.

Best wishes,

kat

tarnalberry Community Regular

You might consider taking a look at what TYPE of food you're eating. Not only do a lot of packaged gluten-free foods have a lot of fat, other ones are high in simple carbs. This can spike your insulin, then drop your blood sugar, and make you hungry again. Getting plenty of protein and fat with your carbs will help make you feel more full for longer on less food. Of course, exercise is important too! :-)

• 4 months later...
mrsfiles Newbie

HELP PLEASE!! I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy in April 2002~ a month to the day after my wedding ~God Bless my husband... I have since gone from a size 6 to a 16!!! My stomach feels better since going on the gluten-free diet but I am extremely uncomfortable with my weight gain. I admit in the beginning I ate a lot of rice and potatoes because those were safe, but soon learned how to adjust to gluten-free ways and eat very little of them, as well as bread (I'm a bit lazy when it comes to making it. I can't handle the store's gluten-free selection-I find it to be gross).

My GI Doctor has been no help as he just says I look healthy now. Easy for him to say, I'M the one with no waist now and weigh what I did when I was 8 months pregnant with my son 21 years ago!! I also exercise at a gym 3 days a week, for 1 1/2 hours a day, and have been for the past 2 years. I continue to GAIN not LOSE. I am so frustrated that I am ready to go back to eating gluten and deal with the consequences! I am so overtired all the time and have no energy. I had more before I was diagnosed. What can I do??? I need to lose weight. I had a physical recently for work and the Dr. told me according to my BMI, I am overweight and on the edge of obesity. My Dr. has checked my thyroid, glucose, hormones, etc. Can't find anything. Why is my watching what I eat (I've cut down on sugar and carbs) and exercising regualrly doing exactly the opposite of what it should be doing? Does anyone else have this problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived