This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

mamatide

skinnyminny Enthusiast
Skinnyminny, could you please share your recipe? Does it hold together for a sandwhich? I loved Lorka's bread, I liked Bette Hagman's yeast free bread, but they both crumbled. Is it because I do it by hand? Would it hold together if done by machine? I love the flavor and texture of these breads, but I really want a sandwich. I'm still new to gluten-free, so real bread is a very recent memory for me. I just want to know if what I have now is as good as it gets.

I am not sure if it has to do with mixing it by hand or what I have never tried hand mixing I really love this recipe in my bread machine though its almost perfect n each time I make it it seems to get better! so here it is.. this is the way I do it in the machine I am not sure the process of hand mixing.

Wet Ingridents:

2 large whole eggs

2 egg whites

1 tsp Cider vinegar

1/4 cup Canola oil

1- 1/2 cups water ( semi warm)

combine all the wet ingridents in a bowl and put in the bottom of the bread machine pan

Dry ingridents:

2 cups brown rice flour( you can also use white I just like the flavor of brown)

1/2 cup sorgum flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/3 cup cornstarch

1 TBSP Xanthan gum

3 TBSP Sugar

1 1/2 tsp salt

2/3 cup dry milk

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

combine all the dry ingridents except the yeast and pour them on top of the wet. then sprinkle the yeast on top of that.

as it is mixing I sometimes add alittle water if it looks dry. I also add about 1/4 a cup of flax for a more grainer bread sometimes. I hope this helps and if you have any questions ab any of this let me know!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
once and again Rookie

Finally made this bread last week after reading about it here. I didn't have flax seed meal, but did have almond meal flour. So I tried that and it was great. Made two loaves at once. - if you're going to bring everything out you might as well double everything. Plus, then I had a loaf for my son who is also gluten-free. I have never really liked bread - maybe that thing where you don't like what's not good for you. I ate the heel!!! Gave a loaf to my son on Tuesday p.m. On Wednesday he called to say that he like it so much he would make it himself!!! I had thought he would ask me to make it for him. He made two loaves on Saturday. Brought a sandwich to work this week and co-workers thought I was eating wheat bread.

I had no problems with the bread rising. I pre-heated the over to 350 when I started to mix the bread. When the oven indicated that it was ready, I turned it off. Put the dough in and set the timer for 1 hour. Checked at 55 minutes and it had risen above the rim. Re-heated the oven to 350 - with the pans in the over and the bread was perfect after 40 minutes baking. Really great flavor and texture.

Will probably try with raisins, cinnamon or nuts for variety.

Also measured the oil first and then the honey - it really does work best that way.

delawaregirl Apprentice

Is flax seed flour the same as flax seed meal?

AndreaB Contributor

I'm not sure. :unsure:

I would think a flour would be finer. The meal is courser than flour would be.

lorka150 Collaborator

No it's not. Flax flour is flour - flax seed meal is milled /ground flax seeds.

once and again Rookie

I see you are allergic to asparagus. I am too. The skin tests were iffy, but I break out in severe hives within hours or so of eating it? What is your reaction? Have you always been allergis to asparagus? My reaction just started 4 years ago. I had eaten asparagus for more than 50 years without a reaction.

AndreaB Contributor
I see you are allergic to asparagus. I am too. The skin tests were iffy, but I break out in severe hives within hours or so of eating it? What is your reaction? Have you always been allergis to asparagus? My reaction just started 4 years ago. I had eaten asparagus for more than 50 years without a reaction.

I don't have an obvious reaction and never have. That may be a false positive but it was very high. Usually my reactions to foods are intestinal. I've only tried it once since we got tested.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
mftnchn Explorer

Hi, I am really stumped. I have tried Lorka's recipe three times, and can't get it to rise or else is rises just a bit then shrinks in the oven.

I am using sorghum flour because I can't get garfava flour here in China, also tried it once with a little meng bean flour. Also don't have flax seed yet, though I am hoping to find it eventually in the Chinese herb shop. I put in a little crushed cashew today. Of course my flours may all be a little different than those in other parts of the world but my rice flour at least is made for export, and is organic.

I wonder if the xanthan gum I have is too strong? Have any of you had a problem with it slowing the rise?

I know the yeast is okay because we recently used it for gluten bread and it was fine. Also I add it to the warmed liquid and it starts to grow just fine.

The texture is good and the taste is quite good. I don't know what to try to get it to raise. Haven't put it in the oven to raise, but I have a nice sunny windowsill where I put it covered.

I'd appreciate any good ideas!

Felidae Enthusiast
Hi, I am really stumped. I have tried Lorka's recipe three times, and can't get it to rise or else is rises just a bit then shrinks in the oven.

I am using sorghum flour because I can't get garfava flour here in China, also tried it once with a little meng bean flour. Also don't have flax seed yet, though I am hoping to find it eventually in the Chinese herb shop. I put in a little crushed cashew today. Of course my flours may all be a little different than those in other parts of the world but my rice flour at least is made for export, and is organic.

I wonder if the xanthan gum I have is too strong? Have any of you had a problem with it slowing the rise?

I know the yeast is okay because we recently used it for gluten bread and it was fine. Also I add it to the warmed liquid and it starts to grow just fine.

The texture is good and the taste is quite good. I don't know what to try to get it to raise. Haven't put it in the oven to raise, but I have a nice sunny windowsill where I put it covered.

It takes mine over one hour to rise. I don't know if this helps or not.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I use sorghum too.

I do find it takes longer to rise. I have to make sure I use the Rapid Rise yeast, too.

Hope you get your kinks worked out...it really is great bread.

kdean823 Newbie

Can I use tapioca starch instead of potato starch??? ANyone know? I want to make this bread recipe tonight, but that's all I have. I couldn't even find potato starch when I was looking for it. I'm really dying for some bread! LOL

Thanks!

Kym

AndreaB Contributor
Can I use tapioca starch instead of potato starch??? ANyone know? I want to make this bread recipe tonight, but that's all I have. I couldn't even find potato starch when I was looking for it. I'm really dying for some bread! LOL

Thanks!

Kym

Yep, they are totally interchangeable. :)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I get a much better rise if I use a non-metal pan (glass works better for me than silicone). I also let it rise covered, in a warm oven (I preheat the oven for 2 minutes, then turn it off).

Hope that helps!

AndreaB Contributor

Sherry,

I don't know if you use eggs or not but I've found it doesn't fall so much (if at all) with eggs versus with egg replacer.

mftnchn Explorer

Thanks I had better success with the latest attempt, put it all in a very small loaf pan and increased the yeast just a bit. I haven't tried a glass pan, its hard to find any baking pans out here. ;)

My only problem was the oven temp is not working well here at my office/apt kitchen so the bread is not done in the middle.

This is in another city from where I live, so I have 2 kitchens to track as gluten free!!! (And I don't know what happens when I am not here for appox 3 weeks out of the month. :( )

Guest ShannonL

I have made this bread three times. It tastes great. The only problem I have is it is quite heavy and crumbly after day one. I am mixing it in a Quisinart Food processor with a pasta paddle. Could this be the problem? I don't have a bread machine and have never baked bread before. I want a sandwich soooooo bad!!!

Thanks

AndreaB Contributor
I have made this bread three times. It tastes great. The only problem I have is it is quite heavy and crumbly after day one. I am mixing it in a Quisinart Food processor with a pasta paddle. Could this be the problem? I don't have a bread machine and have never baked bread before. I want a sandwich soooooo bad!!!

Thanks

I've started adding some coconut flour in and that takes care of the crumbs. It is a denser loaf though.

zarfkitty Explorer

I just served this recipe hot to my family straight out of the oven (with butter, of course!) and it was fabulous!!!!

EDIT: I subbed three whole eggs for the two eggs and two whites.

It even smells like wheat bread while it is baking, and that's a treat.

I hope there's no such thing as a psychological glutening...

lorka150 Collaborator

Again,

I'm so thankful that you've all had such success.

This bread has, literally, changed my life. Weird to say, I know- but thanks!

It really helped, and there is now so much more where that came from!

I think you're all so swell!!!!!!!

Felidae Enthusiast
Again,

I'm so thankful that you've all had such success.

This bread has, literally, changed my life. Weird to say, I know- but thanks!

It really helped, and there is now so much more where that came from!

I think you're all so swell!!!!!!!

I thank you. I think your bread has helped many of us. I love my daily slice of toast. It is a gluten-free bread that actually sticks with you for awhile. I can't wait to buy your cookbbook.

lorka150 Collaborator
I thank you. I think your bread has helped many of us. I love my daily slice of toast. It is a gluten-free bread that actually sticks with you for awhile. I can't wait to buy your cookbbook.

Email me laurie.sadowski (at) gmail. com for details! (change the at for @.)

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Matilda Enthusiast

lorka150 Collaborator

You're welcome. I am, again, glad you are enjoying it.

Please PM me if you'd like to support the creations that have followed (and came before)!

JennyC Enthusiast

I made this bread for the second time today. I used amaranth flour and a bit of white rice flour for the gluten free flour. I also used almond meal instead of flax. The bread did not poof up while baking, and it did not fall as much while cooling. Overall I'm happy with how it turned out. It's almost too moist! My son actually ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for the first time since diagnosis!!! :D I think that once I get this recipe completely down I will make a mix of the flours and store them.

lob6796 Contributor

Do you think this recipe would work as a substitution?

1 1/4c GFF (rice flour, potato, tapioca)

1/4c tapioca flour

1/2 c potato flour

1/4c corn starch

1/4 c rice flour

3 tsp guar gum

2 tsp active dry yeast

1 tsp salt

2 egg

2 egg white

1/2 c water

1/2 c almond milk

2 tbls veg oil