This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

mamatide

Sweetfudge Community Regular
The results were fantastic. It didn't collapse and had a very light texture. The bread isn't crumbly at all and stands up well to sandwiches as well as grilled cheese sandwiches or toast. It also stays soft all week (when it lasts that long). Here is picture of the loaf:

Bread picture (sorry for the link - the picture wouldn't show up image tagged)

Wow what a yummy picture! Thanks for the suggestions!

saw that a few people have had issues with bread collapsing and now I'm scared to try it.

I tried the recipe a month or so ago and it collapsed...well, actually i don't think it ever rose. But it wasn't gooey in the middle, and still tasted good, if a little thick. :) I think reading all the suggestions here would help to refine the recipe where you could get it to turn out. Good luck :)

BTW I went to Portland to a gluten-free cafe....I was in heaven

Portland Oregon?? What's it called?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bakingbarb Enthusiast

Sorry I should have said that Its the Open Original Shared Link, but it has to be the one on Corbet as it is the gluten free one. I loved loved loved the coffee and the baked goods are better then what they have at Da Vinci in Seattle. The Da Vinci has a cornbread texture/taste I think that is what it is anyways plus the Corbet had better all around flavor.

Perfecting this stuff is hard though isn't it.

I am having a difficult time following this thread, one of these days I am going to have to put all the recipe and hints togethor because I keep getting lost! LOL

awesome! i'll have to put that on my list of places to visit next time i head up there :)

yes, this is a confusing thread. once you put together all those tips, post it here for the rest of us :D

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I swear, that coffee house is worth the trip. Right next door is a gluten free fish fry house. Open Original Shared Link I was able to eat fish n chips and have a cold beer.

I wrote about it in my blog Open Original Shared Link. The picture at the top is from the coffee house. Oh it was that good.

bakingbarb Enthusiast
I wanted to report on some changes we made to the original recipe that really made a difference for us. Maybe it will help someone else.

The problem with most gluten free breads is the loss of the protein. The protein helps build the structure of the bread and helps keep it from collapsing. That is why bean flours are so popular in gluten free baking - they are a higher protein flour. However, I can't stand the flavor, so we had been making this recipe with sorghum flour instead of the called for garfava flour and, while tasty, we had a lot of problems with it collapsing.

Then I came upon this Open Original Shared Link I was intrigued by the idea, so we purchased a bag of Bob's Red Mill 100% whey protein isolate. We then modified the recipe by replacing the 1 1/4 cup of flour mix with 1 cup of glutinous rice flour and the 1/4 garfava flour with 1/2 cup 100% whey protein isolate. Another change my wife made from the original recipe was to heat the (full fat) milk and honey and then add the yeast instead of adding it directly to the flour. We also use butter instead of vegetable oil.

The results were fantastic. It didn't collapse and had a very light texture. The bread isn't crumbly at all and stands up well to sandwiches as well as grilled cheese sandwiches or toast. It also stays soft all week (when it lasts that long). Here is picture of the loaf:

Bread picture (sorry for the link - the picture wouldn't show up image tagged)

My wife also make the same recipe but bake it in a 7" x 11" casserole dish. She then cuts it into squares to use as hamburger buns.

I have no idea if this would work in a bread machine of it would work without milk. The 100% whey protein doesn't contain casein or lactose but I guess it would be up to the dairy free individual if it was safe enough.

I couldn't get the blog post link to work so I went looking for it and here it is....Open Original Shared Link

I finaly am done with school work for the week so I am reading into this. I find this very interesting but am also wondering about soy isolate pwder as it is high in the protien content also.

The difficulty I am having is I have no clue what amounts are required to sub one thing for another. For example how did you figure to use 1/2 cup of the whey for the garfava flour?

I swear, that coffee house is worth the trip. Right next door is a gluten free fish fry house. Open Original Shared Link I was able to eat fish n chips and have a cold beer.

I wrote about it in my blog Open Original Shared Link. The picture at the top is from the coffee house. Oh it was that good.

Mmm, I love corbett fish house! Have you been to McCormick and Schmicks? Open Original Shared Link

I had the best flourless chocolate cake there! I also LOVED the Atlantic Salmon - stuffed with crab, shrimp and brie cheese. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water :)

arc Newbie
The difficulty I am having is I have no clue what amounts are required to sub one thing for another. For example how did you figure to use 1/2 cup of the whey for the garfava flour?

To be honest - we guessed. It worked out well, so we stuck with that proportion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Diomedes Newbie

First time poster here.

Just tried the recipe arc posted. I couldn't find truly unflavored whey isolate; best I could find was "natural" and I knew it was going to be a learning experience when I saw natural vanilla flavor on the ingredient list. ;)

Oh well I decided not to go to the nutrition store half way across town so I just got that. Bread didn't really rise a whole lot during the rise phase and rose a little uneven while baking. I think the uneven rise could be corrected with a more even spread of the dough.

Even if the flavor was a bit off because of the vanilla undertone the texture, oh man, was SPOT ON. I think this could be used well as a dessert bread in a pudding so it's not a total loss. I'll go to the nutrition over the weekend to find unflavored whey isolate for Sandwich Bread 2: The Breadening :lol:

Edit: hey arc do you think this could stand up to being treated as panini bread?

arc Newbie

:ph34r:

Sorry that I am just getting back to you. I only get on here occasionally.

Edit: hey arc do you think this could stand up to being treated as panini bread?

To be honest, I don't know what panini bread is, so can't help you there. :unsure:

We did try a new variation of the protein bread this weekend. We had some buckwheat to use up so used buckwheat instead of the flax. I thought it turned out great. Same good texture but the flavor was much better. We made grilled cheese sandwiches with some of the bread and it browned up really nicely and didn't fall apart.

The next experiment will be to replace half of the sweet rice flour with millet or sorghum and see how that turns out.

HiDee Rookie
We did try a new variation of the protein bread this weekend. We had some buckwheat to use up so used buckwheat instead of the flax. I thought it turned out great. Same good texture but the flavor was much better. We made grilled cheese sandwiches with some of the bread and it browned up really nicely and didn't fall apart.

The next experiment will be to replace half of the sweet rice flour with millet or sorghum and see how that turns out.

Thanks for telling us about your experimental successes, it really helps having others give their baking experiences. I've been meaning to try the whey powder with the bread recipe, I recently bought some and am excited to try it. I'll post my experience as well.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I am going to take this whole thread and try and re-post just the tips and hints and recipe suggestions. Knowing me it will be finished next year LOL Seriously I am going to try and get this done this week.

Mmm, I love corbett fish house! Have you been to McCormick and Schmicks? Open Original Shared Link

I had the best flourless chocolate cake there! I also LOVED the Atlantic Salmon - stuffed with crab, shrimp and brie cheese. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water :)

That was on our list of places to go to! We got tired because we try to cram a bunch of stuff into a couple of days and then we always miss things. We were supposed to go to Bobs red mill as it is in the area but we missed that too! So much to do.

Diomedes Newbie
To be honest, I don't know what panini bread is, so can't help you there. :unsure:

A panini is really just a fancy Italian way of saying a grilled pressed sandwich B) I made another loaf of bread using unflavored whey isolate and this just might be better than normal wheat bread :D

Made some really delicious paninis last week. Tiny bit of mayo with some mozzarella cheese, some priscoutto, some roasted red bell pepper, brushed some extra virgin olive oil on the outside of the bread and slapped it in my old george foreman to grill and press.

As for the recipe I heated up both the milk and honey and the yeast wake up a bit before adding it to the flours; it didn't rise as far as I would have liked although this might be a combination of using a 9.5'' wide loaf pan instead of a 9'' one and not letting the yeast wake up more before adding to flours. Next trial this week I'll add just a tiny bit of sugar and let the yeast feast on the milk/honey/sugar solution a bit longer and look around for a smaller loaf pan.

I am going to take this whole thread and try and re-post just the tips and hints and recipe suggestions. Knowing me it will be finished next year LOL Seriously I am going to try and get this done this week.

That's so ambitious of you :) We would all be appreciative.

That was on our list of places to go to! We got tired because we try to cram a bunch of stuff into a couple of days and then we always miss things. We were supposed to go to Bobs red mill as it is in the area but we missed that too! So much to do.

It's always hard to get to every place on your list :( I know I never do.

I'm planning a trip this summer and hope to hit a few of the hot spots!!

arc Newbie
A panini is really just a fancy Italian way of saying a grilled pressed sandwich B) I made another loaf of bread using unflavored whey isolate and this just might be better than normal wheat bread :D

Glad it worked for you. It is pretty good, with a very good texture. We still haven't experimented with the other flours yet. Maybe this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
rick-spiff Rookie

Well i am crossing my fingers with my first ever loaf in my first bread machine! Thanks for all the tips!

Had to bake longer, had different flours. Used Corn, buckwheat, rice, and tapioca. But best gluten-free bread I've ever tasted. I also bought a pamela's mix to try too.

BIZABET Newbie

Going to have to try this one--it looks like the loaf is actually big enought to slice and make a decent sandwich! Will be visiting my dad over easter and will see if I can take a nice big loaf of bread homw. I especially like the flax--more healthy stuff for someone with no complex carbs.

lorka150 Collaborator

Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions about my bread, baking, or anything else. Thanks!

BIZABET Newbie

Bob's RedMill flours makes a sorghum. I get mine at local health food stores in NC--don't know where you are. Anyway, label says it's made from whole grain white sorghum (i think the same stuff molasses comes from) per 34 g serving, 25 g carbs, 3 gram finber and 4 gram protein and no sugar. Hope this helps

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this using buckwheat flour? This bread was delicious when I made it with garbanzo flour, however being intolerant of legumes, I bloated up like a balloon after eating it! :blink:

I don't particularly care for the taste of sorghum and was thinking of using 1 cup rice flour and 1/2 cup buckwheat flour in place of 1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour and 1/4 cup bean flour.

Any thoughts??

• 4 weeks later...
HiDee Rookie

I finally made this bread and it didn't sink! I added 1/4 c. of the protein powder that Arc recommended. My blend of flours is brown rice, sorghum, millet and sweet rice in addition to the starches. I also read the bottle of my yeast and found there the suggestion that if adding the yeast to the flour you should do very warm liquid between 120 and 130 degrees F. and if adding yeast directly to the liquid then do about 110 degrees for the liquid. I know a lot recommend to do room temp. and I had tried that but warmer liquid worked better for me.

My only issue now is that I let it rise until the middle of the bread was at the top of the pan and then I baked it but it didn't rise any more during baking so I still have a relatively small/short loaf of bread. But it didn't fall and I've made this break dozens of times and I've never had it not fall. I think the protein powder was key.

• 4 weeks later...
richieheleng Newbie

is any substitution for the flax seed meal?

thanks

HiDee Rookie

thanks

you could probably do rice bran or something like that since the flax adds extra fiber the rice bran would do that too. Otherwise I'm sure you could make this without the flax and it would still be fine.

JennyC Enthusiast

thanks

I use almond meal. I buy Bob's Red Mill, but you could also ground your own.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I made Gluten Free By The Bay's version of this bread (called it 'miracle bread) yesterday in a bread machine. We didn't cook it long enough so it was a litte gummier than it would've been, but oh my..... I really did almost cry.

Breila Explorer

Okay, I can't find garfava or sorghum locally. :( I have rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour/starch, flaxseed meal, and Arrowhead Mills all purpose wheat free baking mix. Any recommendations for some substitutions there? I really want to try this out and I can't get to the HFS or place an order for another week or two.

Archived