This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kimberly-clark

srokie

chrissy Collaborator

i remember that guy's name!!!!! and i remember the julia's husband bit, too. i think i was pretty new at the time of all of that. i have spent waaaay too long reading this thread today.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rusla Enthusiast

"Julia's husband" trying causing problems in many threads at the time including the religion one that went on peacefully for a very long time. He/she/it came in and tried stirring up problems everywhere.

However, that is behind us and now we are discussing Shirley's husbands nuts in a can and eating paper products.

Which brings me to General Mills in Canada. They are also the company for Old El Paso and all of their products (General Mills) will list oats, wheat, rye, barley, barley malt if the product contains it, may contain it or is made in a facility that makes wheat products. I called them from within the store today to find out.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

On that note, I'll add that I am still reeling from my call to Hershey yesterday.

When Ty first went gluten-free, I called Hershey and was told they clearly label and will NOT hide gluten in natural flavour. Now 2x yesterday, with two different operators I was told they WILL hide gluten in natural flavour because they are not required to label rye/oats/barley/malt in an allergen bold or may contain line. :angry:

I asked if that meant I had to call every time. They both said if I was concerned then I should call. I said that I had never been concerned before, but now I was freaking out because I'd been told over a year ago of the clear labelling policy and what the H-E-double-hockey-sticks!? Have I been giving my son gluten all this time because Hershey has the biggest selection of what I thought was gluten-free chocolate bars? (Neither of them had a response to that.)

Then I confirmed that Reese's PB cups are gluten-free, and then said, so next time he wants an Oh Henry on a Saturday we'll have to wait until Mon - Fri 8 - 4 Eastern to find out if he can eat it. She said yes. <_<

Rusla Enthusiast

Wow, that is strange. I know I have talked to Hershey personally many times and told that their hugs, kisses, etc. are gluten free and that they don't hide anything. They said their mini bars in the bags could have gluten in them and some of the specialty things can also and to read everything.

I think we need to get it in writing from someone who really does know (she says while putting a kiss in her mouth.)

Viola 1 Rookie

Thanks for the information on General Mills Rusla!

What is with these companies that can't make a statement and stick to it. You would think we were asking them about rocket science or something. Either their stuff is clear of gluten or not. Considering the amount of people diagnosed every day now, they would get tired of us calling them and smarten up. :rolleyes:

Rusla Enthusiast

I am going to rant and rave like a lunatic for a bit on this.

I am so tired of wishy washy companies and people lately. Yesterday it was an online writer's group I have been a member of for years acting like spoiled children.

Then I got glutened yesterday in Market Mall at the Thai place that told me their seafood soup was safe well at the bottom of the bowl was fake crab. I had two spoonfuls and got sick, very sick.

Now we have food companies who have told us one thing, change their mind, change it back. They are acting flakier than gluten-filled pastry.

Then our only totally gluten-free restaurant gets closed down.

Then when I go into work I have to deal with drivers, customers and coworkers who act like kindegarten children. I feel like I am in charge of a kindergarten.

Does anyone feel like they are the warden of a nut house or the caretaker of kindegarten children? The worst is these darn companies with their wishy washy attitudes.

I need to go eat some toilet paper.

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Does anyone feel like they are the warden of a nut house or the caretaker of kindegarten children?

:blink: Ummmm........ yeah...... every day :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
Then when I go into work I have to deal with drivers, customers and coworkers who act like kindegarten children. I feel like I am in charge of a kindergarten.

No, I feel like I'm surrounded by eight year olds - old enough to know better if they take the time to think, but still immature enough to have the really stupid fights and try to get out of doing anything themselves.

Viola 1 Rookie

Better dip that toilet paper in chocolate, or a good wine first.

They sure do make you want to wring their necks or something. They have no idea how it affects their customers, and they don't seem to care either.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Does anyone feel like they are the warden of a nut house or the caretaker of kindegarten children? The worst is these darn companies with their wishy washy attitudes.

No...I feel like my coworkers are stuck in junior high school mode--they sneak around complaining to the management about the coworkers they dislike (we are in a union, and they are not permitted to do that , but they do it anyway). I've seen so many of my colleagues get knifed in the back, your kindergarteners sound appealing. Maybe we can trade? I'm pretty good with small children, but not so good with junior high girls.... :(

Oops--I'm not supposed to be ranting , too, I'm supposed to make you feel better. Well, at least you know where to tell them to stick the toilet paper!!!

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Your husband prefers to have his nuts in a can?? :blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

Well shirley just tell him to KEEP his dusty nuts in that can, why don't you ;)

When Ty first went gluten-free, I called Hershey and was told they clearly label and will NOT hide gluten in natural flavour. Now 2x yesterday, with two different operators I was told they WILL hide gluten in natural flavour because they are not required to label rye/oats/barley/malt in an allergen bold or may contain line. :angry:

well HARUMPH! :angry: that is so silly, and so very taxing. But, I do eat Hershey's safely- as long as I just eat a bit. (um, it wasn't working so well when I was eating HALF A BAG of the nuggets with almonds. :ph34r: Happy to report I self-intervened and there have been no Nuggets for months now.)

must go, hungry just now and I am thinking about a nice dusty flour-y roll of Charmin. :)

lovegrov Collaborator

Hershey changed their policy several months ago. Rye and oats are not going to be hidden anywhere, even in natural flavors. I've never heard of that happening. Last time I checked, Hershey also said that any barley would be in malt and that malt would be listed. I can't say if that's changed, but most often barley is indeed "hidden" in malt.

richard

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Fiddle-Faddle-

you and I work in the same place only different locations...only we are not union where I am but I work with about 10 women and the drama is nuts! I am the youngest in the office and I feel as if I act more mature than the senior members of the team, if you can call what we have a team, everyone is for themselves. There is the back stabbing, the complaining, and since there is a group of 5 of them who worked together for years they have not been welcoming to myself and the other new people, some new to our state and area...we have been there a year now and I still feel like a stranger.

Now my rant is over, but I just wanted to let you know I understand where you are coming from.

debmidge Rising Star
I had forgotten that doctor-hating thread. CeliacMe was just too angry to be rational. I assume that's why she was banned.

richard

Oh my, I hope that wasn't the real reason she was banned --- that will really keep newbies away if they think they can be banned for venting in a thread made specifically for venting.

Being that you brought this old item up, I have to admit and I am probably one of the only ones who will say this, but I will say it in the nicest way, but I was ready to leave the board permanently due to the way she was being "baited" by other posters on the "vent about doctors" thread which I believe she started in the first place.

This is all I will say about that thread: but the undue & cruel criticism of her opinion by others really, really bothered me. It really opened my eyes to the personalities of some of the posters. So as you can see I had a different viewpoint of the thread.

Fiddle-Faddle-

you and I work in the same place only different locations..we have been there a year now and I still feel like a stranger.

I've been at my job for 19 years, and most of the Nasties have been there around 10 years--and I feel like a stranger!

Jestgar Rising Star

Yuuummmm

Dusty nuggets with a toilet paper chaser!!!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Hershey changed their policy several months ago. Rye and oats are not going to be hidden anywhere, even in natural flavors. I've never heard of that happening. Last time I checked, Hershey also said that any barley would be in malt and that malt would be listed. I can't say if that's changed, but most often barley is indeed "hidden" in malt.

richard

Hi Richard,

I wouldn't expect rye or oats to be "hidden" either, and usually "malt" is listed as malt, so it's the fact that barley can be in the natural flavour that threw me off. I'm in Canada, but I think the call centre may have been in the states since they asked for a zip code and not a postal code. The lady who answered did say that natural flavour could be any kind of a plant source including barley, but that wheat would definitely be labelled. (Please call any time I have a question about ingredients.)

I'm reasonably sure the chocolates we've been buying are safe, it just bothered me that the response was so...I can't think of a word...cavalier? You know, "We're not required to label it, so we don't."

Ty is well aware of what ingredients (if clearly labelled) he can and can't have and always asks if the item is gluten-free. Then he'll say, "I can't have wheat, all-purpose flour, rye, oats, barley or malt." He knows the drill, it'd be nice if everyone used those words, though.

I've been at my job for 19 years, and most of the Nasties have been there around 10 years--and I feel like a stranger!

It is a horrible feeling somedays, the thing that bugs me the most is only myself and another girl sit in my area. When I leave to go somewhere when I come back a girl I do not get along with is always here and they are whispering and once I sit down they both stand up and leave. Even if it has nothing to do with me....how would you take it?

It is a horrible feeling somedays, the thing that bugs me the most is only myself and another girl sit in my area. When I leave to go somewhere when I come back a girl I do not get along with is always here and they are whispering and once I sit down they both stand up and leave. Even if it has nothing to do with me....how would you take it?

At least they leave! The Nasties here just go right on whispering, giggling, and looking at me. If I try to draw them into conversation ("hey, how's your baby?") , one of them will say, "Do you mind? We're talking." Ugh. (I'd take it the same way you do--it's seventh grade all over again. And it was bad enough the first time!)

The Nasties...that is so funny! I am going to comment more on this once I get home. ;)

bluejeangirl Contributor

oh my gosh, I just read about three pages of that HEINOUS thread. That's a BAD one.

You know......it is astonishing....I joined on January 27th - the very day this was all going on. I can see why you took your "vacation" - - what a nasty thing that was. And here was sad little me - - with no IDEA in the world what was going on in YOUR world......]

Its been a year so in case I forget happy anniversary! I too joined the same time and look at the difference in the number of posts lol But I'm a quiet person so its not that your talking alot :P (I think I saved you)

Rusla you are so funny my gosh I can't stop laughing.

Gail

Shiba Newbie

Reverting to skin products etc that contain gluten - our daughter was diagnosed after being made to use makeup remover at her school. She told me it had stung, and later that her face 'felt like it was going to break out'. That was Friday - Monday she had a horrendous rash - huge blisters incredibly painful - missed a week of school. I do not know if the remover had gluten in it - didn't get to see the actual bottle - and caused the rash, or if her celiac and anaemia had made her skin very sensitive.

In the long run, I'm glad it happened, as she had no gastric symptoms and turned out she was very ill - of course, I am still so very guilty about it not being investigated sooner - but that's another thing

Carriefaith Enthusiast
At least they leave! The Nasties here just go right on whispering, giggling, and looking at me. If I try to draw them into conversation ("hey, how's your baby?") , one of them will say, "Do you mind? We're talking." Ugh. (I'd take it the same way you do--it's seventh grade all over again. And it was bad enough the first time!)
How immature of them... "The Nasties" that is funny :)
srokie Newbie

No I haven't read your posts and no I'm not going to; this is just FYI because you may recall I'd give you info the second I got my hands on it and I keep my word.

Someone said gluten is only dangerous if ingested... Here is a doctor saying it is dangerous if it is inhaled. I am making no comparisons to anything I have previously said so don't go yelling at me about inhaling toilet paper; I won't even be reading your repsonses. Just wanted to share info since you all demand sources.

From Clan Thompson's latest newsletter:

------------

Dear Dr. I have biopsy confirmed celiac disease as well has what appears to be DH rash on my elbows, buttocks, ankles and scalp. I am on a very strict gluten free diet and my blood tests are coming back normal so I believe I understand the diet and am rarely eating gluten. The rash has been gone for almost a year. My question is this. I work in a very small office without much air movement except with a fan. One of my new office mates is munching on pretzels most of the day every day we work together.[big bags not just snack size] I have re-developed the rash and my muscles and bones are hurting like they did before going gluten free. I think that I am breathing/swallowing enough of her pretzels to react to them. I reacted this way on a school field trip to a sheep barn which was full of rye and oats on the floors and animals. I have nicely asked my co-worker to refrain from eating the pretzels but she seems to be angry at me for even asking. Another co-worker has severe peanut allergies and we can't eat peanuts in the room when she is present but I can't get the same consideration. Am I over reacting? I have looked everywhere for an answer about inhaling gluten but haven't found anything on it. Sincerely, Christa

Dear Christa, "Inhaling gluten" is essentially the same as eating gluten. If there is enough in the air to inhale it, it then sticks to the mucous membranes of the throat and it is swallowed. I have seen a person who worked in a bakery as well as a farmer who clearly reacted to inhaled (and subsequently swallowed) gluten. Sincerely, John J. Zone, M. D.

-----------

Also, the celiac at my college who told me about Kimberly-Clark said she got the info by calling the company. I don't care if you believe me or not. It made a HUGE difference for her when she stopped using Kimberly-Clark products.

My next appt with Dr. Saviano is Feb. 2nd and I will post what she says about soy. I will also post the info she gave me a while ago about soy as soon as I have it.

If you want to contact me you can email me.

emcmaster Collaborator

Oh good grief. :blink:

Archived