This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Depressed!

feedjake92

feedjake92 Rookie

I posted in April wondering if I have celiac disease. My son is on a gluten free casein free diet due to allergies and intolerances. I went to the doctor in April with mouth sores and complaining of GI problems. Since I was there I decided to also mention that I was having muscle spasms in my upper back. I didn't mention how many ibuprophen I had been taking for the back pain, didn't think of it until later. Anyway, he ran a CBC then told me to take vitamins for three months and repeat the blood test. He never checked my back only told me to buy a new mattress and ignored me when I said I had already done that. Anyway, about a month later, I went back with severe pain in my upper back and shoulder, a few days later numbness in my fingers. I have since had surgery for a herniated disc in my neck and have been out of work for about three months. I gave up trying to eat the gluten-free diet since it was all I could do to see that my son stayed on his diet. I ate whatever was easy. Several other things have also happened this summer...my son got stitches in his foot, broke up with a boyfriend, had my well pump go out, dog hit by a car ($200 vet bill), still having back pain after surgery, ...sure there is more. Anyway, it has been an extremely stressful summer. I weighed 124lbs in April. When I saw the doctor in May for my back, I weighed 118. I had been eating gluten-free but not trying to diet at all. I now weigh 107lbs and am so weak! I look emaciated! I am 5'2". I tried to take an antidepressant that I got the orthopedic doc to order, but I got so nauseated, I couldn't eat for two days! I am having a lot of trouble just dealing with life! I can't stop crying.

Can celiac disease cause this depression? I really feel that it is more than all the stress of the past few months.

Any words of advice or encouragement would be appreciated.

Connie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

It can, but the stress can too. If you think you may be celiac disease, and there's a nontrivial chance you are, since your son is, I would encourage you to stick to the diet for a while and see if it helps. There may be other things causing your back problems as well, but if you are gluten intolerant, you need to stop eating gluten. Fill your home with things that are easy to eat and gluten free. Make a large pot of rice and keep the leftovers - reheats in three minutes. Keep gluten-free corn tortillas around instead of flour. Keep plenty of eat-out-of-hand fruits and vegetables and bean dips (gluten-free, of course) around that you can eat in a snap. And get rid of any non-gluten-free stuff that you can. It's perfectly healthy to eat gluten-free (though, there is a suggestion to take a vitamin as gluten-free flours, if you used to be a big bread eater, are not enriched) and won't hurt anyone in the family. ;-) (And might make it easier for your son, since there won't be anything in the house he'd be denied.)

Almost forgot: have you been seen by a physical therapist for your back? That's one of the first things a doctor should do for you. If your GP hasn't suggested it, I urge you to see an orthopaedist.

feedjake92 Rookie

I start physical therapy for my neck this week. The doctor wasn't really thrilled about my going back so soon after my surgery, but I am in a real bind with money.

I was pretty much eating what my son eats until I had so much problems with my neck and back. I had a hard time with all the cooking I generally do. It seems cheaper to me to make my own stuff rather than try to find gluten free foods in the stores. There are no health food stores or any of those nice big chain grocery stores that carry the gluten free foods anywhere near me. I usually order the stuff or buy a lot when I make a trip to a health food store. I couldn't do any of those things for a while, because I wasn't able to drive. I think most of my trouble started when I stopped eating the gluten free foods. That's why I think it's celiac disease, but I didn't realize that could be what caused the depression to get so bad.

Thanks for your response.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I would say that depression is actually a major symptom of celiac disease.... Not only because of the malnutrition and malabsorption, but secondly because each time I get "glutened", it puts me on an emotional roller coaster. Also, another reason that depression is common with celiacs is because many celiacs also have hypothyroidism (like me) and depression is related to that auto-immune disease also.....

Karen

j9n Contributor

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. I think just feeling ill so much can cause depression. I am having a hard time fighting it.

About your back pain, have you had test for others things to rule out? I have a hiatal hernia and GERD which causes me back spasms sometimes. I think my whole digestive system is a mess. I also get right shoulder pain which is why I am convinced I have something else going on such as pancreatitis or gallbladder, been to an orthopedic surgeon, mri etc.

As far as food goes I try to keep certain canned foods on hand. gluten-free fat free chicken broth, canned veggies, canned tomatoes, etc for a quick and healthy soup. I buy bulk rice and potatos. Canned beans, hamburger in the freezer or turkey for a quick chili.

I hope this helps!

Archived