This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fall River, Ma gluten-free Diner

jesscarmel

jesscarmel Enthusiast

Hey Guys

I got this email today:

Gluten Free Breakfast in Fall River Massachusetts !!!!! WOW

We went today to check out a diner that I had found out is owned by a =

fellow celiac and offered a "Gluten Free" menu. Well we went there today =

with other celiac friends and boy was is GREAT !!!!!=20

It is called Alice's Diner located on 2663 S Main St Fall River, MA =

#508-675-9210=20

They had:

All homemade - Belgian Waffles, Pancakes, French Toast, Eggs, Toast, =

Home fries, Crepes, Bagels, Breakfast sandwiches,etc...... Plus they =

also offer a lunch menu.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi Jess

I copied this and will save.

I'm not too sure we didn't stop there before my dx.

thanks for posting.

great news.

judy

amybeth Enthusiast

My grandmother lives in a small town in Massachusetts, but we drive through Fall River to get there! I'm SO excited. We're not visiting until summer, but I'm already salivating.

Thanks so much for sharing!

finally diagnosed Apprentice

thanks for the update. i have finally been diagnosed with celiac the week before christmas. took 6 months to finally get a right diagnosis. its good to know about other rest in mass. i also went ot a new rest tonight called Scutra in Arlington. The chef/owner was amazing. He personally came out and knew about Celiac and discussed my options. I have never felt safer eating in a rest. I highly recommend this place to anyone with any type of food allergy. Scutra in Arlington Ma. Thanks for the heads up about the diner for breakfast.

Hey Guys

I got this email today:

#508-675-9210=20

They had:

also offer a lunch menu.

jesscarmel Enthusiast
thanks for the update. i have finally been diagnosed with celiac the week before christmas. took 6 months to finally get a right diagnosis. its good to know about other rest in mass. i also went ot a new rest tonight called Scutra in Arlington. The chef/owner was amazing. He personally came out and knew about Celiac and discussed my options. I have never felt safer eating in a rest. I highly recommend this place to anyone with any type of food allergy. Scutra in Arlington Ma. Thanks for the heads up about the diner for breakfast.

what did u eat there? im a vegetarian so its hard for me to eat out. so far in ma the only places weve eaten at are the elephant walk and the boynton in worcester which has yummy gluten-free pizza- very far for me but worth it!!!

laurac Newbie

Hi, I'm new on this forum. My husband and son both have Celiac Disease and so far the only luck we have had for restaurants was Outback. We live in Mass so thanks for the posts on these two restaurants. I can't wait to take them. We don't live particularly close to either place but it would be nice for a special occasion.

Thanks,

Laura

finally diagnosed Apprentice

:)

what did u eat there? im a vegetarian so its hard for me to eat out. so far in ma the only places weve eaten at are the elephant walk and the boynton in worcester which has yummy gluten-free pizza- very far for me but worth it!!!

i had veal tenderloin, butternut cup rissotto and brocolli rabe. the chef had come out to speak with us and asked me what i thought looked good and he made it work. I went to order the sorbet for dessert and he sent out the waiter and explained that i could not have it because an ingredient contained gluten. they were very nice. they have seafood and veggies too. it was a little pricey but it was worth it nowing i wasn't going to feel sick later. i also go to the elephant walk here in cambridge. i have a book that says the waterstreet cafe in fall river has gluten-free pasta and specialty items ie:bread, beer etc on their menu. you are suppose to call ahead to confirm availability. no gluten-free menu but plenty off items that are gluten-free. i havent' tried it yet. good luck

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

powderprincess Rookie

THANKS! I will check it out one of these days :) :) :)

Hey Guys

I got this email today:

#508-675-9210=20

They had:

also offer a lunch menu.

• 2 years later...
Maddy1 Newbie
Hey Guys

I got this email today:

#508-675-9210=20

They had:

also offer a lunch menu.

This is such an old post that I am wondering if anyone can update me as to whether this restaurant still exists. I live pretty close to Fall River and would love to go out to breakfast again.

babysteps Contributor

I live in CT (not RI), and haven't been to Alice's, but their website Open Original Shared Linkis up & running and highlights gluten-free!

Maddy1 Newbie
I live in CT (not RI), and haven't been to Alice's, but their website Open Original Shared Linkis up & running and highlights gluten-free!

Thank you Babysteps, I don't know why I didn't check for a web page, must be the "fog" you are all talking about.

I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago by biopsy. My mother had Celiac Disease for the last 20 years of her life and I was her caregiver, so I am pretty familiar with it. But wow have things changed in the three years since she has passed and I haven't kept up. Being able to have distilled vinegar is HUGE! My Mom would have had so many more choices had that been discovered before she passed. She would have been so happy to have been able to have pickles. She had Alzheimer's the last ten years along with her celiac disease. The last two years it was very difficult at the Nursing home. They just didn't get it and constantly messed up. It seems that now the awareness has increased by leaps and bounds, I wish she had had these advantages. I mean when "Betty Crocker" starts making gluten-free mixes you know other companies will follow soon. And by the way, I made the chocolate cake last night as cupcakes with Duncan Hines frosting. Absolutely delicious! My husband, neighbor and daughter even loved them. Nobody would guess they were gluten-free. I froze a bunch of unfrosted ones for my future sweet tooth attacks.

Gemini Experienced
This is such an old post that I am wondering if anyone can update me as to whether this restaurant still exists. I live pretty close to Fall River and would love to go out to breakfast again.

Alice's is still there and open. I live about 45 minutes away from there and to be honest, have not made the trek to have breakfast. I hate to say this but after 4 1/2 years gluten-free, I do not crave waffles or pancakes so wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. If I were traveling in the area, I would definitely go but cannot give you a review on their food myself. However, everyone else I know who has gone says it's wonderful and the food is great!

Maddy1 Newbie
Alice's is still there and open. I live about 45 minutes away from there and to be honest, have not made the trek to have breakfast. I hate to say this but after 4 1/2 years gluten-free, I do not crave waffles or pancakes so wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. If I were traveling in the area, I would definitely go but cannot give you a review on their food myself. However, everyone else I know who has gone says it's wonderful and the food is great!

I've only been diagnosed for a few weeks so I'm still craving fried seafood! I already told my hubby to plan on lunch this weekend. Are you in RI or MA Gemini? I'm in MA, about 35 mins North of New Bedford.

babysteps Contributor

Maddy1-

search this forum for "clams" or "woodmans" - At least 2 of the famous clam places in Ipswich/Essex have lots of gluten-free choices, so if you're willing to travel a bit further than half an hour, you could get a fix there, too.

Or go to the restaurant section of the forum - I think there's a semi-recent thread there too.

Good luck, happy eating!

Gemini Experienced
I've only been diagnosed for a few weeks so I'm still craving fried seafood! I already told my hubby to plan on lunch this weekend. Are you in RI or MA Gemini? I'm in MA, about 35 mins North of New Bedford.

We must be really close to each other! I am in Mass, near Framingham. I shop at the Bellingham Whole Foods market every week. :D

Check out my post on the "Restaurants" thread.......For New England Celiacs. It has a great listing, by state, where you can get gluten-free food. As mentioned in another post, you should try Woodman's in Essex, Ma. for fried clams/seafood. They have Celiacs in the family and have a dedicated fryer just for us! The food is absolutely delicious and worth the drive. It does get VERY crowded at this time of year, though. I spoke with the manager a while back about their menu and she was so nice and helpful. They don't have a gluten-free menu BUT all you have to do is tell them you are Celiac and they will know what to do. I have never gotten sick there and it's the BEST fried food around.

There is also a Mexican place in Plainville, right off of Rt. 495 called Rancho Chico. The gluten-free menu is limited but very good and it's a separate menu. They also have delicious sangria, if you are into those types of drinks. ;) The nacho chips are delicious and gluten free...they serve them warm. Yummo!

BTW...the website I have linked on my other post does gluten-free dine-outs and I have been to quite a few of them. If you are interested, I will let you know when the next one is. It's a great time and place to meet many other Celiacs and we always have a good time. It's not a support group but a dine out group. We go to many of the restaurants listed on that site.

Welcome to Celiac-world! Don't sweat it as there are many good places to dine out near us....you will not feel deprived.

Archived