This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fingernails Splitting/chunking

VAGuy

VAGuy Apprentice

I have had problems with just awful longitudinal splits (directional w/finger) in my fingernails, big chunks breaking off - before I went gluten-free

As the fingernail grows, the split ends about 1/4 inch beyond the "cuticle", which I think coincides with my going gluten free -

The more I read on this topic the more I wonder?

Since gluten-free -

So much more calm.

Less agitated.

Less bloating/distension.

Life so much better now, (1980 to 2003 progressivly worse)

Now can go for walks.

Let's go back to more calm.

Just exhausted, worn out, sleeping habits vary, not nearly as "depressed,"

Think I have gained 1 to 2 pounds over last two months.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Fingernails are a "defense structure," they are an indicator of bodily health, I cannot allow them to deteriorate. They were beginning to be a big problem just prior to my going gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seeking-wholeness Explorer

VAGuy,

It's great to hear that the gluten-free diet is making such a positive difference in your well-being! The increased calmness since going gluten-free is something I can definitely relate to. I actually feel less exhausted now, but more sleepy, if you understand the distinction I'm trying to make. Before, I was so anxious all the time that it just wore me out, but now that I am calmer, I can just relax into sleep much more easily when I need to. And my life is worth living now, EVEN when it is not going perfectly!

I am seeing a naturopath who specializes in treating chronic fatigue syndrome (which often accompanies celiac disease, probably as a result of nutritional deficiencies), and he recommends doing a bit LESS than you feel capable of accomplishing while your body is healing. This allows your body (and your adrenal glands in particular) to build up an energy reserve, so that when you absolutely HAVE to do something that is stressful (in any sense, including physically), it doesn't wipe you out completely. I am not always the best about following this advice, but when I do, I definitely notice a difference in my exhaustion level!

I hope you continue to experience significant improvements in your health. The gluten-free lifestyle is SO worth it!

Connie R-E Apprentice

Could you be low on calcium?

When I take a calcuim supplement my fingernails always grow stronger (I bet my bones do, too!)

I normally have soft, broken nails... And, if my calcium level gets too low, I start biting my nails before I even realize it!!

Connie

kvogt Rookie

VAGuy, I had a milder case of what you described. It sounds like you have what is called "frayed nails" and it is a symptom of malnourishment. As your gut heals, the problem will improve gradually. I highly recommend you take vitamin supplements. I also recommend you eat a lot of greens, which give you good doses of easily absorbable calcium -- more so than milk. You might also want to see an endocrinologist and have your thyroid function checked. My nail problems started when my thyroid went out years ago. Thyroid dysfunction is also often caused by celiac disease. It took about a year on the diet before I could say my nails were healthy again. I still have the ridges, but I don't care because I'm a guy too.

Guest shar4

Well, I'm not a guy and my nails have been a mess for a long time. Last year they started developing these very deep lines in them that went horizontally across the nail. I had heard before that fingernails can tell a great deal about one's health, but felt kinda stupid making a doctor appointment because my nails didn't look right. Anyway, since going gluten-free on Halloween, they are growing faster than they have in years. Those lines do take forever to grow out, so I don't know if I've seen the last of them. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis almost 2 years before being diagnosed with celiac disease, so I take Calcium when I remember it, but now I have to be careful because it can give me the queasies.

Thanks for all the input.

Sharon :P

VAGuy Apprentice

Thanks for responses - this has been perplexing for some time - soon as I get the scanner working I'm going to print up a batch of $100's and find a doctors(s).

Thanks

Archived