This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg Did Anyone Just Watch Cn8 Program On Celiac?

Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I pray that some one else out there saw this show today Sunday 1/28/07

THE GREAT UNKNOWN DISEASE: CELIAC

A friend just called me 15 min into the program and told me to watch.

What I saw was so upsetting. The moderator, I believe was Mary Amoroso..The guests were a women and Dr with celiac and a registered Dietitian with 19 years experience AND OBTAINED TRAINING IN THE TREATMENT OF celiac disease. I went and 'goggled' and found this little bit in info on the show.

I am actually too upset to start stating all in the inaccuracies right now.

My concern...with our fight to find people to do features on our disease..are we now going to have people like this 'small time station' putting wrong info out there' because it's the IN DISEASE.??????

I am only posting this because I am PRAYING someone else saw it...It's a New Jersey com cast station.

A VERY VERY SAD CELIAC.

Judy in Philly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

Judy, don't you wish no-one saw the program because of all the inaccuracies in it, especially for the people who do not have much knowledge about coeliac and wanted to watch and learn a little bit.

These programmes when brought to us by suppossed people in the know, and when full of innaccurate information do more harm than good for someone just starting out on their gluten free adventure. It is usually the first thing you hear about something that you believe and it is so hard to change attitudes once instilled in someone.

Like you I would be flabberghasted to have seen the programme.

Cathy

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Didn't see it. Please tell us what inaccuracies they included.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Well, I just finished my gluten-free, sf, df, dinner ;)

Granted, I did miss the first 15 min but what I saw...

The moderator kept mispronouncing words...stumbling and stammering over what she was trying to say. That was distracting..I kelp yelling, 'spit it out for crying out loud' It didn't look professionally presented or ever thought out..She had to keep reading the notes in her hands..

She (Sally) said, i know you (the woman) say you have to have your own toaster. She glossed over cc of gluten. The Dr, for god's sake said "I try to be careful and put my toast in the top rack but I'm not as careful as I should be"

Then when discussing the resulting 'digestive' symptoms, he said, "Well when I cheat, which I try not to do, I do have issues. Sally says, laughing hysterically, "Oh my then, in your home, when your cheating your not talking about another woman" your talking about gluten.....and the whole panel just roared with laughter...I wanted to cry not laugh.The dietitian didn't pick up the pieces and stress cc IMPORTANCE AT ALL....I thought the dietitian was really weak.

They NEVER mentioned the overweight issue in celiac..which OK, we know allot don't buy it..but did stress the infants who get it early as babies when they go off breast milk and start cereal.

They did list discuss how the dx is done and of course the gold standard of the endoscopy and the villi and Dr said..." all the GI needs to do is look and he can just tell by LOOKING if you have the disease.. :blink:

oh god, I can't list more now. I'm still so angry.

I'll list more later if people want. I really posted to see if others had caught the show...and what they thought.

Guess it just scared me that 'some of these small little 'no name' TV stations can put on a show like this! Is it the tip of the ice berg...?????

Guess I'm spoiled by the terrific job Heidi Collins did...I just do not think that they stressed the importance of STRICT adherence to the diet and what will happen if it isn't ad heired to...As we know, there are so many serious illnesses if you don't Oh they did mention the diabetes & thyroid etc

and that it was a auto immune disease

You know, I just realized I taped it. When I feel I can stomach it, I'll try to watch it again. :ph34r:

Enough from me....I need to go re charge my positive energy :rolleyes:

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I actually have Comcast(no happy about it but...) anyway, I missed it. I rarely watch TV anymore. Sad that the program was such a flop. We want people to take us seriously and then this gets shown....ugh!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi and thanks for commments.

I was just ck'n back in to see if anyone else saw it.

I think you guys are like me, Let's hope hardly anyone saw the blooming thing.

I'd rather have NO coverage that INACCURATE ones. :ph34r:

tarnalberry Community Regular
The moderator kept mispronouncing words...stumbling and stammering over what she was trying to say. That was distracting..I kelp yelling, 'spit it out for crying out loud' It didn't look professionally presented or ever thought out..She had to keep reading the notes in her hands..

She (Sally) said, i know you (the woman) say you have to have your own toaster. She glossed over cc of gluten. The Dr, for god's sake said "I try to be careful and put my toast in the top rack but I'm not as careful as I should be"

Then when discussing the resulting 'digestive' symptoms, he said, "Well when I cheat, which I try not to do, I do have issues. Sally says, laughing hysterically, "Oh my then, in your home, when your cheating your not talking about another woman" your talking about gluten.....and the whole panel just roared with laughter...I wanted to cry not laugh.The dietitian didn't pick up the pieces and stress cc IMPORTANCE AT ALL....I thought the dietitian was really weak.

They NEVER mentioned the overweight issue in celiac..which OK, we know allot don't buy it..but did stress the infants who get it early as babies when they go off breast milk and start cereal.

They did list discuss how the dx is done and of course the gold standard of the endoscopy and the villi and Dr said..." all the GI needs to do is look and he can just tell by LOOKING if you have the disease.. :blink:

All but the last one isn't *wrong* however. It may not have had the emphasis most of us want, but saying "OMG DON'T EVER TOUCH ANOTHER TOASTER BUT YOURS" or not *ALWAYS* calling people on every possible cross contamination isn't realistic and wouldn't be taken well by viewers. It's a fact that people cheat - a lot of people cheat. We don't condone it, but he was pointing out that there are consequences. Yes, it would have been better to note that he damaged his intestines every time he cheated, but it's not wrong to also say he got sick.

I don't know... I guess I'm not setting my expectations that high. Think about all the other misleading or incomplete information out there on so many topics.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

I guess the most we can hope for is that no one saw this cast or very few. You should write to them and thank them for setting us back 50 years.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I agree with Judy, this show should not have been broadcast. Celiac Disease is very serious and people do not need to see a DOCTOR on tv, more or less saying it's ok to cheat--IT'S NOT OK TO CHEAT. I realize many, many celiac's cheat, yet that doesn't make it ok. That is a problem they need to deal with. A person learning they have celiac disease being told it's ok if you cheat occasionally, is being mislead. It's never OK! In over 5 1/2 years, I have never purposely glutened myself, from day 1.

It's true we do need info getting out about this disease, yet bad info is never needed. A doctor with celiac disease letting it be known it's ok to cheat--unbelievable!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
All but the last one isn't *wrong* however. It may not have had the emphasis most of us want, but saying "OMG DON'T EVER TOUCH ANOTHER TOASTER BUT YOURS" or not *ALWAYS* calling people on every possible cross contamination isn't realistic and wouldn't be taken well by viewers. It's a fact that people cheat - a lot of people cheat. We don't condone it, but he was pointing out that there are consequences. Yes, it would have been better to note that he damaged his intestines every time he cheated, but it's not wrong to also say he got sick.

I don't know... I guess I'm not setting my expectations that high. Think about all the other misleading or incomplete information out there on so many topics.

Sorry to be miss leading, Tiffany.

I didn't mean to indicate all I typed here was incorrect info

I was also sharing some of the 'right' things they said..I guess I wasn't clear enough. That sometimes happens when I post when I'm upset and not 'focused' . I'll have to not do that in the future.

I was happy to hear some accurate info whcih I tried to share also.

I haven't listened to the show again but as I was trying to get to sleep last nite, I remember one of the last things the moderator said.when signing off....""Good news on the horizon...Didn't you say that there is a new pill that is going to be on the market soon that will allow people with Celiac disease to take a pill 1/2 before they eat gluten?" The answer from all was YES. She then said "Well that is good news that Celiacs can eat gluten again."

I probably should not have posted this so early today w/out ck'ing the film again before posting, but I was just trying to clear up Tiffany's point "All but the last one isn't *wrong* however." before others read it.

I'll be back with more specific 'quotes' but seriously, last nite I was just so overwhelmed :blink::o:blink: I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Thanks all for the comments.

Tiffany, This is so true will have to remember that from now on.."I don't know... I guess I'm not setting my expectations that high. Think about all the other misleading or incomplete information out there on so many topics.

I still am praying at least one other person on the forum saw the show...but pray no newbies did for sure!

Judy

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Judy :D

I don't have Comcast anymore (we have had satellite for a couple of years now), but I know the show you're talking about. What you have reported is about what I would have expected. <_<

It is a shame, and it is particularly irritating when a subject that is so important to us is handled "lightly". (for lack of a better word) Since Celiac isn't in the news very often, I want every second of coverage to really count. I guess it's easy to "laugh off" the digestive troubles when you have no idea what it is to deal with them on a regular basis, and have your life actually disrupted because of it.

I don't know, I do agree that any coverage is good, but is it too much trouble for *journalists* to do a little homework, and get their facts straight? A nobody like me figured it out pretty quickly--ok I admittedly had a compelling reason to search out the facts. But, I would also expect that of a show that brings medical issues to the public. There's a certain amount of responsibility there, in my opinion, that dosen't include a "professional" who chuckles about cheating on the diet or not being as carefull as she should be.

Hopefully, not too many people saw this--being on the weekend.

jerseyangel Proficient

I just went to Cn8's website hoping to find a transcript or more info.

I did find out that the show will be repeated on 2/2/07 at 6AM--for anyone in the area that is interested.

They also listed a link to celiac central.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Thanks Patti..Just got up :blink: for the second time this am.

posted early today and then...well....went back to bed....

I'd sure be interested in hearing what Alice Blast thought of this show.

Good they put the URL but during the 15 I saw they didn't mention a link.

Will pm you later after chiro. have to go scrap off the car :ph34r:

judy

Archived