This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lays Stax

Lizzz88

Lizzz88 Rookie

I ate some of those Cheddar Lay Stax last night and I woke up this morning feeling HORRIBLE! It says it is naturally gluten free on the label, but something in it made me sick. Maybe it is the cheddar in it? I've eaten other dairy products and i don't think it has really bothered me before. So why did this bother me now? This has been a really bad day! My boyfriend and I just broke up and the stress is definitely not helping!! I wish I had something to help the nausea. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

Something in them doesn't agree with me either, I think it may be the soy. Could you have a problem with soy?

Lizzz88 Rookie
Something in them doesn't agree with me either, I think it may be the soy. Could you have a problem with soy?

I have been wondering about that because when I eat soy ice cream it kind of upsets my stomach. Can they just do an allergy test to check about the soy? I go to my gastro doctor tomorrow and I want to see if he can check me for other intolerences.

Thank you for the help! :)

2kids4me Contributor

I know my husband (who is not celiac) gets a gut ache when he eats the Stacked type of potatoe chip (be it lays or pringles). there is so much other stuff added cause they form the chip in a machine.

He doesnt get a stomach ache when he eats regular potatoe chips.

Sandy

I agree that it could be the soy or any of the other crap they add to make the chip form the pretty little stack of uniform chips

Mango04 Enthusiast
I have been wondering about that because when I eat soy ice cream it kind of upsets my stomach. Can they just do an allergy test to check about the soy? I go to my gastro doctor tomorrow and I want to see if he can check me for other intolerences.

Thank you for the help! :)

If soy upsets your stomach it might be more of a sensitivity or an intolerance, rather than an actual food allergy. If that's the case, it might be hard to test in a doctor's office.

Also, if a highly processed food such as Cheddar Lays Stax makes you sick, it doesn't necessarily mean you're allergic to a specific ingredient. It might have more to do with the way the food processed, the unnatural state of the ingredients, or a certain combination of artificial ingredients that might just not agree with your body.

The stress your body is under might be a factor as well. Sorry you got sick.

Guest cassidy

Lays Stax are the only Lays chips I will eat because they are made on dedicated lines, so I don't think it was gluten. I am very, very sensitive and eat these all the time with no problems.

I have realized that I can't tolerate MSG since going gluten-free. The plain/original chips don't contain MSG but I'm pretty sure when I looked that all the flavored chips do contain MSG. Could that be the issue?

Hope you feel better.

2kids4me Contributor
Lays Stax are the only Lays chips I will eat because they are made on dedicated lines

so lay stax flavours with gluten (pizza flavour etc) are processed somewhere else?

Sandy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amybeth Enthusiast

I've had problems with them in the past - but not every time. Just every so often. I think mainly when I ate a lot of them. :blink:

I've stopped eating them, but I eat regular baked lays, and I've never had a problem with them. :D

I'm sorry about your break up! Hope you're feeling better soon!

Lizzz88 Rookie

Thanks everyone for helping!! I might try the plain baked lays later when I feel better. I think I'm just sick bc of something in the chips(i'm gonna ask my doctor if he can allergy test me for other foods) and from all the stress. Hopefully it will get better soon!

Guest cassidy
so lay stax flavours with gluten (pizza flavour etc) are processed somewhere else?

Sandy

I checked it out a while ago, but if I remember correctly, all the Lays Stax are on dedicated lines. I only eat the plain ones because they are the only ones without MSG. Other Lay's products are not made on gluten-free lines and I've had cc issues with them. Someone mentioned the Baked Lays - those are my favorite chips ever and they get me sick everytime. So, if you are playing it safe, I would go with the Stax and not other Lay's products.

bklynceliac Apprentice

to a previous poster - Pringles are not gluten-free and should be avoided. Man they're tasty though.

I eat the plain Lays Stax all the time and have no problems. I don't touch any of the other flavors because of casein though.

lovegrov Collaborator

All of the Stax flavors are gluten-free, even the pizza.

richard

MSU Newbie

I've never had Lay's Stax; however, Lay's other naturally gluten free chips have *serious* cross contamination issues.

lovegrov Collaborator
I've never had Lay's Stax; however, Lay's other naturally gluten free chips have *serious* cross contamination issues.

Lay's makes a few items on dedicated lines, including Stax. Those items are much less likely to have a problem with CC, and I've heard very few complaints about Stax.

richard

• 3 months later...
reedrage Newbie

LAYS STAX MAKE ME SICKER THAN I'VE EVER BEEN IN MY LIFE!!! I think they are full of potatoes when they say they are gluten free! I have a wheat intolerance which may or may not be Celiac disease but I eat gluten-free and feel good, so I'm sticking with it. I ate the Lays stacks original and got the worst stomach ache. I saw that the flavored ones had MSG which I thought was a No No for gluten-free eating, so I wondered how they could list them as gluten-free> Anyway BEWARE!!! Eat regualr potato chips, you'd be better off.

-HS

Archived