This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About An Alcoholic Beverage

Guest mares83

Guest mares83

Hi!

Does anyone know if Mike's Hard Lemonade is gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

If you are in the U.S. it is NOT gluten-free. Neither are any of the other drinks like Sminoff Ice, Zima, Bacardi Coolers, etc. If you read the carton or the bottle they all say "malted," which means barley. Even all or almost all wine coolers are now malted. The only exception I can think of is the Kahlua bottled drinks.

In Canada, most or all of these drinks are made with liquor and are gluten-free. The difference is that in the U.S. drinks with liquor are taxed at a much higher rate than malted drinks. So the companies malt them to make them more affordable.

richard

kabowman Explorer

OK, what about Kaluha? I love it, but it is made with vodka (many of which are made with grain and not potato).

I tried the vodka I had at home after going gluten-free and it cramped up my stomach. So I looked and of course, mine was a grain product. :angry: I am looking for potato vodka in my little town so that I can add that in as an evening refreshment.

So back to my question, is Kaluha made with grain or potato vodka (the bottle doesn't say). I would try it but my reactions seem to be intensifying so that even cross-contamination is giving me problems.

I am currenly trying to create my OWN Margarita mix, one that does not have corn syrup since tequilla does not bother me at all.

As to other adult beverages, even rice beer has gluten which I had been hoping was safe.

-Kate

astyanax Rookie

haha i think i post too much about alcohol but here i go again..

cider (except hornsby's) makes a great alternative to beer

whisky is gluten-free - bushmill's is a good brand jack d is ok too

i'm guessing you know wine and champagne are ok too

i just got that beer from ramapovalleybrewery.com it's ok i guess. luckily i live close enough to pick so i can avoid shipping costs. it's sort of like honey wine but kind of like beer too.

Thomas Apprentice

Thanks for info.

astyanax Rookie

it's ok cos of the distillation process

lovegrov Collaborator

Kaluha is gluten-free according to the manufacturer. I don't know what the vodka is from and it doesn't matter because even if you start with wheat, distilling takes out the part of the wheat that harms us. All distillers, all the big celiac groups (yes, even CSA), the dietician associations in the U.S. and Canada, and grain scientists agree on this. The only way a distilled beverage would have gluten is if it was added after distilling.

Kate, if you're still nervous about this there are also numerous vodkas made from corn. All Smirnoff's vodkas come from corn.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

And Ciroq vodka is made from grapes. Expensive, but I think it's better than both Stoli and GreyGoose. ;-) (I was part of a dorm suite that served as a bar... we got snooty about our alcohol! ;-) )

kabowman Explorer

Thanks!!!! I may try the Kaluha tomorrow...the weekend coffee just doesn't seem complete without it. I cannot have corn either so that one is out but thanks.

The vodka I did have (can't remember the label) did give me problems so I have been avoiding anything close and it said it was a grain product.

Rum is gluten-free - some of the dark rums may have carmel coloring which "can" contain gluten but mine doesn't seem to bother me.

Wine is my current staple.

-Kate

EddieJP125 Explorer

i like drinkin scotch whiskey, tequila, and rum are those all gluten-free drinks?...i have no idea :huh:

lovegrov Collaborator

As a I said, if it's distilled and no gluten is added after distilling, it's gluten-free.

richard

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Are any of the Puckers (Apple, Grape, etc.) gluten-free? How about After Shock and 99 Apples? I can't find any info on those.

Thanks,

ponita Newbie

Last weekend (labor Day) I did a goggle search for "gluten free alcoholic beverages" and the search brought me to this site and listed 3 pages of gluten-free beverages, I felt like a kid at christmas! Give it a try and see if your drink of choice is listed.

Melissa

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't know about Puckers and such, but following is a web page with links for many manufacturers.

Open Original Shared Link

richard

calico jo Rookie

The home page of this website will link you to alcoholic drinks that are OK. As someone else posted, the distillation process removes gluten from grain alcohols. It has vodka, gin, rum, whisky, tequilla, etc. all listed as OK. With rum however, be careful of the dark rums because there might be coloring added.

Actually, this may sound odd, but I seem to NEED whisky.... :o I'm wondering if I'm getting some kind of mineral value from the grain used to make it, but without the gluten. If I have one or two drinks of whisky, the next day I feel GREAT, like I've had a shot of vitamins or something. I don't get that with wine or other alcohol. :blink:

Archived