This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coconut Flour

chirunner

chirunner Newbie

Hi! Newbie here.

I just bought some coconut flour to try. Has anyone had success with this?

Any tips? I was thinking about trying to make chocolate chip cookies. Any great ideas?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Saw this, and thought i'd post it for you. From Ursula:

Check out this new coconut flour Dr. Mercola is selling, it looks promising!

Open Original Shared Link

chirunner Newbie

Thanks! Hope it tastes good!

Gentleheart Enthusiast

I'm looking for even one recipe for muffins, cake, bread or something using this GREAT coconut flour, which doesn't contain and depend upon EGGS to work. I've tried and tried, but have only produced gummy failures. The nutritional/fiber value of this flour is really substantial and I'd love to use it Anybody?

Slackermommy Rookie

Yes!! I have a great recipe. (It also on www.recipezaar.com Recipe #205618.) My kids and husband (all gluten eaters) love these.

They are fluffy, moist and don't taste gluten free. Takes 2 minutes to mix them up. Coconut flour is high fiber, and expensive, but you use very little. Play with it, it's great. Trust me.

Oh, one more tip, they can stick. I use the natural paper liners, and they work great with these. If you don't use liners, grease VERY well.

3 tablespoons butter, melted (or coconut oil)

3 eggs

1/3 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup coconut flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 mashed banana

chopped nuts (optional)

toasted coconut for tops (optional)

1. Just mix up the ingredients.

2. Scoop batter in a muffin tin with liners.

3. Bake 15 min at 400 degrees.

4. Enjoy!

Juliebove Rising Star

I used it in meatballs. Really good! Can't really use it in baking because the recipes for it call for so many eggs and we're allergic to eggs. I highly recommend it.

chirunner Newbie

Thanks a million to Slackermommy!

I made the banana muffins tonight.......I even added some ground flaxseed and they were awesome!!! The texture is so totally not the dry gluten free texture I am used to!

Yeah!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lane Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about the coconut flour. I found coconut powder at the asian market and wonder if it is the same as coconut flour? :huh: It has a grainy look rather than smooth like I would expect a flour to look.

Elaine

• 1 year later...
huevo-no-bueno Apprentice

I'm new and would also like to learn more about coconut flour.

I can't have eggs at all, and don't do so great with bean flours or potato or corn starch.

If I could figure out what proportions of rice flour, coconut flour, and perhaps arrowroot...or quinoa...or millet...or sweet rice flour....any combination of these (!) that I could use to substitute cup for cup in egg-free baking recipes, my life would be nearly complete....

Coconut flour is supposed to absorb a lot of water, and my egg-free experiments were dry, crumbly rocks that did not rise. Xanthan gum only made them into something that was oddly crumbly and spandex-like at the same time.

Could a mix with sweet rice flour help keep it moist?

When working with coconut flour, would there be an advantage to using baking soda & acidic liquid as the leavening agent, instead of baking powder? (Baking powder was what I used with my flops.)

How about 1/3 brown rice, 1/3 sweet rice, 1/3 coconut? Does it have to have tapioca or white flour?

I'm curious if anybody has tried something similar....I would be grateful...

HAK1031 Enthusiast

huevo_no_bueno- (great name btw..yo amo el espanol :) ) Try coconut milk in your baking. This keeps gluten-free recipes moist, although I can't speak to egg free ones. My cousin is also allergic (we learned that the hard way with an anaphylactic reaction at the Passover table when she was a baby...poor kid) but she can have gluten. I've never baked without both.

huevo_no_bueno- (great name btw..yo amo el espanol :) ) Try coconut milk in your baking. This keeps gluten-free recipes moist, although I can't speak to egg free ones. My cousin is also allergic (we learned that the hard way with an anaphylactic reaction at the Passover table when she was a baby...poor kid) but she can have gluten. I've never baked without both.

How terrible for your cousin! I found out through standard food allergy testing.

Coconut milk--I'll try that. I am starting with recipes that don't call for eggs (from Gluten Free Vegan by Susan O'Brien and Gluten Free Kitchen by Robin Ryberg) but I need to replace some of the flours (no cornstarch, potato starch, or bean flours for me).

I'd also like to find a 1-1 baking substitute mix (home-mixed) for wheat flour that I can use with my old cookbooks. I have one cookbook, Small Batch Baking, which calls for wheat and eggs, but the batches are so small that I think I would be able to successfully make them with a rice and/or coconut flour mix and replacing the single egg most of the recipes call for. Many of the recipes also call for just a few tablespoons of flour.

What do you think coconut flour is most like? The bean flours, because of the protein?

I'm going to look around on the site for flour mixes......

simplicity66 Explorer
Hi! Newbie here.

Any tips? I was thinking about trying to make chocolate chip cookies. Any great ideas?

Thanks!

Heres food for thought....i purchased this flour as well.... in the same store came across a cookbook.....Cooking with coconut flour by Bruce Fife, N.D....this has been a very helpful tool for me as well.....i also cook with coconut oil...this cookbook has quick breads.....muffins...cookies...crackers....cakes...pies...pasterys...etc....one thing about this cookbook though they use alot of eggs or egg replacer.....one that i have tried is a coconut bread truly amazing!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Heres food for thought....i purchased this flour as well.... in the same store came across a cookbook.....Cooking with coconut flour by Bruce Fife, N.D....this has been a very helpful tool for me as well.....i also cook with coconut oil...this cookbook has quick breads.....muffins...cookies...crackers....cakes...pies...pasterys...etc....one thing about this cookbook though they use alot of eggs or egg replacer.....one that i have tried is a coconut bread truly amazing!!!!

Chirunner,

I tried using some of those recipes and replacing the eggs--no luck! So I sold the book to a used bookstore.

I'm having better luck now with making egg-free, gluten-free cookies, using coconut flour, tapioca starch, and sweet rice flour (two parts coconut, two parts tapioca, one part sweet rice and one part buckwheat). They have to be really chocolatey or spicy, however, to mask the extra flax and baking soda tastes. I can't use egg replacer because it has potato starch in it.

kjbrown92 Newbie

I've successfully made coconut bread (a quickbread) that has no eggs, gluten, dairy, corn, etc. It was good, and stayed amazingly moist even after a week. I spread it with a little coconut oil. I was the only one eating it, so it lasted a while! Let me know if anyone wants the recipe.

I've successfully made coconut bread (a quickbread) that has no eggs, gluten, dairy, corn, etc. It was good, and stayed amazingly moist even after a week. I spread it with a little coconut oil. I was the only one eating it, so it lasted a while! Let me know if anyone wants the recipe.

KJBrown--That would be fantastic. :D I would love the recipe. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
mamatino Rookie
mamatino Rookie

TO: kjbrown92

RE: Request from huevo_no_bueno ~ Coconut bread

My son and I are both on a gluten free diet. He, in addition to his gluten allergy, is also allergic to eggs, dairy and corn (so far, more testing is on the horizon). So your recipe would be PERFECT for him. I would LOVE your coconut bread recipe and any other advice or recipes or books you could recommend to us would be awesome. It's really hard to get good recipes for baked goods with all of his allergies. Thank you so much!

songstressc Apprentice
Hi! Newbie here.

Thanks!

I recently made lemon poppy seed muffins from elana'spantry.com - it is very easy and I made mini muffins in minutes. Sorry I do not know much about coco flour and I am interested in other recipes too. I have noticed that a lot of eggs are used with this flour and I have read that you should not use more than 1/4 of it for your flour in recipes. Elana's used Only coconut flour - it did give me a sense of it - I hope this helps a little. Love to hear if you find anything more.

• 10 months later...
m2mcguire Newbie

My husband is gluten-free and just found out he is allergic to almonds and eggs. This recipe would be perfect for him. Thanks for your willingness to share. Do you need my e-mail address? --Pam.

freeatlast Collaborator

Yes, please share. My concern was always too many eggs and I was about to take the coconut flour back to Whole Foods.

Maggie Mermaid Apprentice

Yes, please, would love to see the recipe. Thank you in advance.

• 1 year later...
joliepolie Newbie

I know this is an old post but was wondering if anyone has ever tried using flax egg replacer in the coconut flour recipes?

• 7 months later...
jqpanda Newbie

I would love that recipe! I've been scouring the internet for one. I'd be eternally grateful!

kareng Grand Master

Just to let you know, Kjbrown hasn't been active on the forum for 3 years. So, I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for the recipe. :D

You might google coconut flour. I have seen recipes with it.

freeatlast Collaborator

Has anyone tried these biscuits? If so, how did they turn out?

Coconut Country Biscuits

Ingredients:

3/4 c. White Rice Flour

1/4 c. Organic Coconut Flour

2 Tbsp. Potato Starch

1 tsp. Sugar

1 Tbsp. Baking Powder

1/4 tsp. Sea Salt

1/4 c. Butter

1/2 c. Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Combine dry ingredients. Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles small peas. Stir in buttermilk to form soft dough. Place mixture on top of wax paper and press to 1" thickness. Cut with 2" biscuit cutter and place on greased baking sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Yields about 9 biscuits.

Tips for Using Coconut Flour

You can replace up to 20% of the flour called for in a recipe with Coconut Flour, adding an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the recipe. Because of its high fiber content, Coconut Flour requires much more liquid than other flours. You need to use an equal amount of liquids to the amount of Coconut Flour used.

If batter seems too thick, thin out by adding a bit more oil until desired consistency is achieved. If batter seems too runny, don’t worry. Coconut Flour’s high fiber content makes it highly absorbent and during baking the flour will absorb the extra liquid.

Archived