This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Seen Dannon Commercial?

Mtndog

Mtndog Collaborator

Is this true? It sure as heck would explain A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient
Is this true? It sure as heck would explain A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, it's funny--I thought the same thing when I saw it!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I saw that commerical for the Immunity drinks? I wonder if they are any good. Dannon is also making another drink for something else, but I only saw the commerical once and now I can't remember what it was for.

cchhrriiss Newbie

You can buy probiotics refrigerated at a health food store and skip the Dannon altogether. Dannon told me they might contain gluten.

lonewolf Collaborator

I haven't seen the Dannon commercial, but I've read this in several places. The small intestine is an important part of the immune system. Do a simple google search for small intestine and immune system and you'll get a boat load of information.

happygirl Collaborator

Bev,

I've heard varying rates, but they are all around/near this figure (i.e., high!). I have heard this from the numerous doctors I have seen over the past year ;).

Sure explains a lot for me!

L

Rachel--24 Collaborator

It true.....the intestinal tack is where most of our immune system resides. Its a "happenin" place. :P

All kinds of activity is going on in the intestinal tract. A Dr. I had awhile back explained it all to me really well.

The whole intestinal tract is lined with Secretory IgA...its our first line of defense against "bad guys" that enter through food, water, air, etc. Also the pH in the stomach kills intruders as well. All those "friendly" bacteria play a big role in keeping us healthy. The enzymes, mucus, bile....all of it is necessary to keep the immune system strong and healthy.

If these things get out of balance or lose their function...we can get sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
The whole intestinal tract is lined with Secretory IgA...its our first line of defense against "bad guys" that enter through food, water, air, etc.

Ah, now it's starting to make sense.

Human milk, unlike formula--ANY formula--contains secretory IgA.

I read that 84% of diagnosed celiacs were either not breastfed at all or breastfed for only 2 months or less. The rate was similar to people diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.

And women still think that giving a baby formula is an adequate choice???!???!

(Of course, this is no consolation for those 16% who breastfed their babies, and their babies STILL had celiac or RA, except to think that things could only have been worse on formula.)

happygirl Collaborator

Any reference for the 84%?

Any reference for the 84%?

It was in Dangerous Grains, but it didn't name a study. However, I found this just now: Open Original Shared Link, which lists several studies, with varying rates (but all extremely high) of celiacs who were formula-fed. It also mentions a study of the timing of gluten introduction while still being breastfed as opposed to having been weaned.

Very interesting stuff.

I'm starting to be as angry at the formula industry as I am at the vaccine industry, though I will admit to both being potentially helpful, and in many cases, absolutely necessary--it's just the marketing aspect that riles me ("Let's convince EVERYONE that they absolutely need this, and when they catch on that they really don't, let's sell it to third world countried, etc.").

Sorry for the rant.

Tritty Rookie

Do you think celiac can affect milk supply? There are people in the world who have to use formula - my milk didn't even come in for one of my 3. As for the other two, I practically starved them - and had to supplement so that they didn't have to spend their first few months in the hospital b/c of severe jaundice, but lost my milk completely by 10 weeks. Didn't even hurt - it was just gone....

I'm curious to read up on this - if you're born with the gene, you're born with the gene - right? So if you're formula fed it can lead to it actually becoming active they think? Or they are just the ones that are finally being diagnosed...?

Do you think celiac can affect milk supply? There are people in the world who have to use formula - my milk didn't even come in for one of my 3. As for the other two, I practically starved them - and had to supplement so that they didn't have to spend their first few months in the hospital b/c of severe jaundice, but lost my milk completely by 10 weeks. Didn't even hurt - it was just gone....

So some of us are grateful for formula :)

That's why I said I had to admit that sometimes it is necessary!

Yes, celiac can affect milk supply. It can also affect thyroid, which directly affects milk supply.

Another problem is that doctors usually recommend a feeding schedule of every 2-3 hours, and for most women, that is not nearly enough in the first few weeks to get your milk supply going.

I found out the hard way with my first, but was lucky enough to have a lactation consultant the third week who told me to ignore the doctor and feed the baby every half hour to 90 minutes, and what a difference that made. According to her, "breast-milk jaundice" occurs because the babies aren't nursed OFTEN enough, and become dehydrated.

It also leads to engorged breasts, which makes it impossible for the baby to latch on, which eventually diminishes your milk supply, especially if you end up giving formula.

Did you hate the pump as much as I did? :rolleyes:

Tritty Rookie
That's why I said I had to admit that sometimes it is necessary!

That's why I made my edit - I missed that part! That's what I get for skimming....

I did nurse that often - if not more. With the second I never even got engorged...Milk just never came. And she was my best latcher. The hospital I used is a Catholic hospital - so they are Gung Ho on the nursing thing. I had a lactation consultant right away and the whole time I stayed. I had to make a feeding chart and they would watch 4 or so a day. They even have a woman's services where you can go back for the first few weeks and meet with the lactation consultants again... to no avail for me :(

I HATED the pump. It never worked for me. I NEVER pumped more than a 1/4 ounce total. And that was at my best :rolleyes:

That's why I made my edit - I missed that part! That's what I get for skimming....

Oops--I missed your edit!

That must have been SO frustrating for you.

I have very grim memories of that pump. I had to be hooked to it every 3 hours for the first five days of my oldes baby's life--and i didn't get a single drop until day 5. Not one drop. He had formula for 5 days. ARRGH. The OBGYN told me at my 6-week appointment that the magnesium sulfate they put me on for preeclampsia inhibited milk production (wish she'd told me BEFORE!)

Whoops, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic! :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Ah, now it's starting to make sense.

Human milk, unlike formula--ANY formula--contains secretory IgA.

:o

And guess who wasnt breast-fed??!! :angry:

Imbalanced secretory IgA (sIgA) levels may provide the link between gut imbalances and systemic illness. SIgA is found throughout the gastrointestinal tract, and in mucus secretions throughout the body. This important immunoglobulin is the first line of defence against bacteria, food residues, fungi, parasites and viruses, and a deficiency of sIgA is common.

Low levels can make us more susceptible to infection and may be a fundamental cause of asthma, autoimmune conditions, Coeliac Disease, chronic infections, Crohn's Disease, candidiasis, food intolerances, allergies, autism and other behavioural problems. Very high levels of sIgA can also be found in people who have chronic infections and whose immune system is overloaded or hypersensitive. Lifestyle, stress and nutritional factors can all influence sIgA levels.

You need secretory IgA to fight off infections....its a very critical part of the immune system. This would support all the research identifying bacteria, virus and fungi as the trigger for autoimmune disease. <_<

I was a formula-fed baby. :(

lonewolf Collaborator
And guess who wasnt breast-fed??!! :angry:

I was a formula-fed baby. :(

Now this would be an interesting poll!

I wasn't breastfed either. And to make it worse, I was fed boiled whole milk sweetened with Karo syrup because my grandmother convinced my mom that formula wasn't good for babies. This was after the doctor convinced my mom that breastfeeding was unhealthy :o .

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I wasn't breastfed either. And to make it worse, I was fed boiled whole milk sweetened with Karo syrup because my grandmother convinced my mom that formula wasn't good for babies.

Karo Syrup!! :blink:

I am gonna have to ask my mom exactly what she fed me. <_<

Yeah....it would be!!

POLL-----POLL------POLL!!!!!!!!

I would do it myself....but I dont know how. :ph34r:

lonewolf Collaborator
POLL-----POLL------POLL!!!!!!!!

I would do it myself....but I dont know how. :ph34r:

Me neither. Anyone?

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Sorry, don't know how to do polls. I hope someone does. This will be interesting to see. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I wasn't breastfed either. And to make it worse, I was fed boiled whole milk sweetened with Karo syrup because my grandmother convinced my mom that formula wasn't good for babies. This was after the doctor convinced my mom that breastfeeding was unhealthy :o .

This would make an interesting poll. I myself was bottle fed but my children were breast fed. I wonder how many of the formulas over the years have had large amounts of gluten? Oddly enough it is the one who was breast fed the longest who has the most serious celiac complications, but then again the ped insisted we start giving him cereal at 4 months, something I would never do if I had to do it over again as he seemed to become wheat addicted from that point on. He also had menigitis at a month which is what seemed to trigger celiac in him. I think there are a lot of variables with this issue but do think it might make an ineresting poll.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I was breast fed for six weeks until Mom got an infection.

All my children were breastfed for a long time, except one, who was only breastfed for six weeks due to difficulties with it. Two of my kids feel better gluten-free and they were breastfed for a long time (one six months, one 2 years and she's the most sensitive).

As far as the cereal thing, I didn't feed them baby food. Most were strictly breast-fed until they started eating off my plate at close to a year. It drove the doctor crazy, but I have a long history of not trusting docs, so I did what I knew was best. Since all my kids were healthy and growing, all the doc could say was "most women" blah, blah, blah.

I had cereal very early.

Formula is either dairy or soy, so I would bet that has a bad effect on celiacs/gluten intolerants.

I'll try to figure out how to do a poll.

In the meantime, is there any way to find out what was in the formulas (especially in tems of gluten) in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's?

Mtndog Collaborator

Guess who ELSE wasn't breast-fed? :P I was adopted so it wasn't an option. I think I can do a poll. Let me try.

I wsa fed formula probably from 67-69 but my mom isn't around to ask but it would be really interesting to know!

I won't be able to breast feed either due to medical issues. Hmmmm...what's an alternative to formula?

OK I did it.. here'a link to the poll: Open Original Shared Link

Rachel--24 Collaborator

If I have kids I dont know if I should breast feed or not. :unsure:

Obviously I would want to breast feed after learning all this....and going through all this sickness myself. But is it too late now?? :huh: Now that I have infections (mostly worried about Lyme).....it could get passed through breast milk. :(

Seems like it could be a lose/lose situation. :(

Maybe I should adopt.

sadiesmom Rookie

I am so glad you guys are talking about this topic. We are currently trying to get an accurate diagnosis of my 2 year old daughter who still breastfeeds. She tested positive for one of the genetic markers, but all of her bloodwork (except a 40 on her IgG) have come back okay. Even the biopsy was okay. But she is very tiny. She weighs slightly over 20 pounds at 2 years old. Around 8 months - which was when we really began solids - she literally fell off the growth charts.

The doctor said that it is a possibilty that the breastmilk was continuing to protect her from the damage that gluten could cause to her. I can't breastfeed her forever though!

I was only BF for 6 weeks - and while I have never been tested for celiac - when I was Sadie's age I was diagnosed with faliture to thrive, I was very sickly, whiny and they tested me for CF and everything else. It would not surprise me if I do have it. And I felt better being gluten-free this past week - because if I continue to BF I have to be gluten-free too.

Breastfeeding has been a wonderful experience for me but I know for some women it is not. There is so much that is misunderstood about it and our culture is very much set up to promote early weaning.

Amy

Archived