This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Weight Gain

BRCoats

BRCoats Enthusiast

I a 5'3" and weigh between 111 and 115, depending on the day I guess. But what I've noticed, is that the scale never tips over that 115, and yet clothes are getting tighter, and I definitely look like I've gained. I just don't get it!! It's weird! A lot of it is in my hips and tummy, which I hate (who wouldn't?).

Does anyone else have this problem, or am I the Lone Ranger here?? :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Sorry if I get a little personal here, but could you be bloated with gas? I ask this because this happens to me a lot. There are a lot of other foods that I am having problems digesting and I notice that with certain foods they seem to cause me to be very gassy and my intestines are almost inflated to the point of being painful. This makes my belly and hips seem larger and my clothes are tighter.

I've been looking into probiotics, since I suspect my problem stems from a bacterial overgrowth in my intestines. My colon was definitely inflamed last year when I had a colonoscopy done, yet my doctor could not figure out why. I have problems with yeast, beans, certain fruits and other foods that can ferment easily. You might want to check into something like that for you.

God bless,

Mariann

BRCoats Enthusiast

Welll.....I'm pretty sure it's not gas. That's just not something I've really struggled with through all of this. When I could eat beans (I can't now, because of my stomach condition that requires a low fiber diet), I could eat a whole bowl full of them and not get gas.

I've tried the probiotic thing. That doesn't agree with me at ALL. Feels like I just drank a bottle of acid. I guess it could be just that I'm not able to digest all the types of food I'm eating right now. Maybe I should be more basic with my diet (although I'm not sure how much more basic I could get), and eliminate a few things.

gf4life Enthusiast

You could also have inflammation in your intestines without gas. I would try a very basic whole food diet for a while and see if it helps. I know it seems like you can't eat anything, but I really felt like that after I went gluten-free. I had been so sick and it seemed like nothing would digest for a while. The probiotics I tried made me feel worse, too. But what helped me was digestive enzymes. I used Pioneer brand Digestive Enzymes and Herbs.

God bless,

Mariann

BRCoats Enthusiast

Hmmm...I hear a lot of people talk about a whole foods diet. What exactly does that consist of? You're right. I do feel pretty limited already. Meat, veggies, and bananas. That's about it. Oh, and cashews. Everything else seems to bug me one way or another. I can't eat a lot of fiber, so a lot of the good stuff that people suggest are not an option for me. As for enzymes.....I had posted a message on the board about them making me really sleepy, but nobody replied. I just feel so tired and sleepy after taking them, it's hard to get motivated to do it. Anyway, I'd be curious to know what a whole foods diet is.....from you or anyone willing to offer the info.

Thanks. I just love this board.....it's so informative and supportive. Two things I REALLY need right now! :-)

Brenda

Alexolua Explorer
Does anyone else have this problem, or am I the Lone Ranger here??

If it makes you feel better, I've lost about 13-15 pounds since I went gluten-free/CF.. and it seems like my tummy is bigger!! That's even more annoying, and I really didn't need to lose weight, LOL.

So not alone. =)

kabowman Explorer

I have had the same problem. No weight gain or loss, little to no gas, but the clothes around the stomach area are tighter. I have no ideas since why...nothing to suggest a current/different GI problem at the moment.

-Kate

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRCoats Enthusiast

Sigh.....

Well, maybe we're all just getting old!! :D I see lots of older women walking around who aren't heavy, but have big bellies. <_<

Just a thought....

Alexolua Explorer

Maybe the gluten-free diet causes fat to store more around the tummy?

Or we just need to excerise and do crunches! lol

gf4life Enthusiast

Brenda,

Whole foods would be foods in their most natural state as possible. No processed foods. Meat, poultry and fish are okay, grilled and such. Veggies either raw or steamed are good. Fresh fruits, but go easy on them if you are having delayed digestion since they could be fermenting in your intestines. Rice and potatoes, but not all the processed rice and potato products available to us in gluten-free foods. Herbs and such are fine for seasonings. Foods you cook yourself from real food, not processed food products. It is the most healthy way to eat and eventually your body will start processing the food better.

I don't know what to tell you about the enzymes making you sleepy. I must have missed that post. I've never heard of that happening, and I am sure glad it didn't happen to me, because the only way I was finally able to eat anything other than mashed potatoes and over cooked mushed veggies was by using the enzymes.

God bless,

Mariann

BRCoats Enthusiast

Well...when I first went gluten-free, I was basically eating meat, veggies and cashews, with a few potato chips here and there. Now that I've added some of the junk food that is gluten-free (snickers, Doritos, etc.), I'm not doing as good. So maybe a whole foods diet would work better, until I heal. I've only been gluten-free for a month or so.

What would you suggest for breakfast? I've been eating a lot of bacon and eggs, and it seems to sit pretty well with me. Sometimes I'll just have a banana with some peanut butter on it. Today, I've mostly eaten bananas and tuna since I'm having a bad day. :unsure:

Thanks for your help with this, Mariann. I know all I've done on this board is ask questions, but I just keep coming up with a lot of them!! :-)

Brenda

gf4life Enthusiast

I think sticking to basic, less processed foods is a good idea. The bacon and eggs shouldn't hurt you as long as the bacon is gluten-free. I have heard that some bacon is not, so find a good brand that is safe and stick with it. I find that I am no longer comfortable just buying whatever is on sale anymore. I stick to certain brands that I know won't hurt us. It is a little harder on the pocketbook, but easier on our digestive systems...

We all go through times where we are asking all the questions. There will come a time where you will be giving advice, and suggestions, and answering more questions than you ask. :D so don't worry about it. If you don't ask questions it will take you longer to learn by trial and error, and you might stay sick. So ask away. We all have!

God bless,

Mariann

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'll often have either a smoothie (soy milk, banana, frozen fruit, flax meal if you want it), rice cakes with peanut butter, or hot quinoa or buckwheat cereal. The rice cakes and quinoa or buckwheat do come in packages from the store, but aren't processed any more than oatmeal is, for the most part. Though I had a number of hardboiled eggs for breakfast on my business trip. :-) Good protein, fat, and nutrients there.

FreyaUSA Contributor

I found if I have 1/2 c of fat free plain yogurt (mixed with something to sweeten it a little) every day, my stomach is so much happier with me. If I miss having yogurt a couple days in a row, I become much more sensitive to different foods, especially fats (like in cream, meats, eggs, etc.)

Just an idea.

(I usually mix 1/2 c ff plain yogurt with 1 tsp sugarfree vanilla pudding mix and put this on fresh fruit: peaches, cantaloupe, strawberries, bananas. Sometimes I top this with raisins and/or toasted pecans or other nuts or even a tsp of ground flaxseeds. I'll also usually have some kind of healthy muffin on the side if I'm having this for breakfast.)

BRCoats Enthusiast

Hmmm....can't do the dairy thing yet. I've been off of milk and yogurt and such for three years and still can't eat it. Of course, I've only been gluten-free for about a month, so I'm hoping that I'll heal enough to partake!!!

Love those ideas though....sound yummy! :D

Brenda

tarnalberry Community Regular

Whole Soy and Silk both make gluten-free, dairy-free yogurts. They're not too bad - the flavored versions, anyway, as I haven't tried the plain. (Live cultures.)

Archived