This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac On The View

Guest cassidy

Guest cassidy

I have Tivo and I put celiac in as a keyword to look for so I would know if it was ever mentioned on a show. Yesterday, it came up that The View is having a segment on celiac on 3/14. I used to watch The Vew but now I hardly recognize any of the people on it but I think one of them has celiac. Should be interesting to see what it is about. Hopefully, it will be good publicity.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SofiEmiMom Enthusiast

How exciting! I just tivo'd it as well and sure enough, it's in there. They must have had such a great response from Elisabeth's previous blurb on the show about Celiac that they decided to make an entire segment. I can hardly wait to see what is discussed. This is so great. Celiac's unite! It really does make a difference when we all write in and respond when publicity is generated about this topic. I don't think it's that far off when Celiac will be as common of a term as diabetes. Life is good!

happygirl Collaborator

Thanks for letting us know!

kbtoyssni Contributor
I have Tivo and I put celiac in as a keyword to look for so I would know if it was ever mentioned on a show. Yesterday, it came up that The View is having a segment on celiac on 3/14. I used to watch The Vew but now I hardly recognize any of the people on it but I think one of them has celiac. Should be interesting to see what it is about. Hopefully, it will be good publicity.

It's Elizabeth Hasselbeck who's got celiac. There was a segment a while back when Budweiser came out with RedBridge on it:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP

JUDY

johnsoniu Apprentice

Thanks for the info :rolleyes:

But I have 2:1 odds that it takes Rosie about 5 minutes to make some insensitive or rude comment pertaining to weight loss :(

Generic Apprentice

She really dominates the show, doesn't she.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tritty Rookie

Yes, she does. It makes it hard to watch. THey are all just rude to each other, with the exception of Elizabeth. Hopefully, they'll actually let her talk during the segment. She usually doesn't get a word in edgewise...

babygirl1234 Rookie

thanks for letting us know :)

Lisa Mentor

Update from Celiac Central:

March 14, Wednesday.....

Alice Bast, Executive Director of the National Federation for Celiac Awareness will be a guest on the "View", along with Dr. Peter Green, from the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University.

Gotta be a must watch. Yippy :D

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm looking forward to it!

Lisa--I just got my email alert from them a few minutes ago, and was going to post :D

Creative-Soul Newbie

There's an interesting article on Open Original Shared Link that includes information on this and a short "interview"with Elizabeth; she says why it took her so long to come "out" with having Celiac. I tried to pull it up to post it here but it didn't work...sorry!

swittenauer Enthusiast

If anyone can cut & paste that article on here that would be great. I couldn't get it to open.

quote name='Creative_Soul' date='Mar 9 2007, 11:05 AM' post='277785']

There's an interesting article on Open Original Shared Link that includes information on this and a short "interview"with Elizabeth; she says why it took her so long to come "out" with having Celiac. I tried to pull it up to post it here but it didn't work...sorry!

Guhlia Rising Star

I think the CeliacChicks website is down right now. I couldn't get on either.

jerseyangel Proficient

I just read on the View's website that Susie Essman is going to be the guest co-host on Wednesday's show.

Susie is a good friend of Joy's and a Celiac.

Creative-Soul Newbie

The CeliacChicks site is up again - Open Original Shared Link ...

The article is the first thing on the home page (dated March 8th). It appears that there are still some issues - the pictures didn't come up as they did before - but the text is there...

Nantzie Collaborator

That makes so much sense. For anyone who wasn't able to pull it up, Elizabeth was self-diagnosed and she didn't feel it was responsible to say she has a disease when she wasn't sure she even had it. She later did a gene test that confirmed celiac.

If I were in the public eye, I'd probably do the same thing.

Can't wait to see this segment. Having guests will probably make things a lot more respectful.

Does anyone else think that with Rosie's anger issues, she should get some testing done?

Nancy

jerseyangel Proficient
If I were in the public eye, I'd probably do the same thing.

Nancy

I agree. I can't wait to hear her story--all the details. I have DirectTV, and on the schedule grid for Wednesday's View, it actually says "Celiac Disease"! Wow.

Yea, Rosie worries me sometimes :unsure:

Nantzie Collaborator

Remember when Rosie had her own show and she always used to refer to a nervous stomach? I'd bet she has some sort of food intolerance (not necessarily gluten of course) or maybe even something like candida.

floridanative Community Regular

Back to the View segment, I have a suggestion for us all just in case it doesn't turn out the way we'd like it to. Certainly I hope it's the best Celiac segment we've ever seen but just in case it's not, I hope we'll come here to vent our frustrations and not slam the show directly. The way to further our cause is to court those in power. After the piece, if I think they left out something important about Celiac I'll calm down, then send a thank you e-mail to Bill Gedde (producer) and suggest info they should include if they do another Celiac segment. Send Elisabeth a note too if you like but she doesn't have as much power as one might assume so please don't forget Bill, her producer. Click on The Viewmaster to e-mail him. It does make a difference when we flood them with e-mails but they have to be the right e-mails or we'll only hurt ourselves in the end.

Hopefully with both Alice Bast and Dr. Green on the show, the important parts about the disease will be touched on. Keep in mind that if anyone googles celiac this site is the first to come up usually so if Dr. Green says you have to get the biopsy for a dx (which he probably will), don't worry about that. People will come here and decide what's best for them with the help of the great people here. Together we can make a difference but we have to think about how our actions can help and hurt our cause.

ENF Enthusiast

I just watched it and thought it was excellent. Dr. Green gave a very complete synopsis of Celiac Disease, and said that the genetic testing was appropriate for family members if a relative has been diagnosed. He said, "None of us digest gluten very well. We did not evolve to digest gluten." A number of issues were covered, including DH, the common issues of "IBS" misdiagnosis', etc. We're very lucky to have people like him, and Alice Bast, at the forefront of the battle to get this disease recognized on a wider scale and slated for futher research.

The whole tone of the segment was upbeat and positive, and there was a large table filled with Gluten-free products on the set, which they discussed.

I am very happy that they did such a good job today - it was very uplifting to see. Bravo!

floridanative Community Regular

I agree! Dr. Green doesn't have the most energetic speaking manner so for him this was a wonderful effort! He touched on many important points in a short time. Infertility will get the attn. of many I'm sure as will the term IBS since we know so many out there with that label of IBS really have Celiac. The food table looked great as well and it showed we can eat plenty of great tasting foods - they're just free of gluten. My only criticism was that Alice wasn't given time to share her personal tragic story of delivering an 8 month still birth.

Now I think we all need to e-mail the View's producer (Viewmaster on their site) and thank him for such an informative segment which shows you can live a healthy life free of gluten and not miss out on great tasting foods! Let's hope this is just the tip of the Celiac iceberg!

happygirl Collaborator

Can I just say that I LOVE DR. GREEN! :)

I would hug that man if I ever get the chance to meet him. Between him and Dr. Fasano, I truly love these guys!

Did anyone notice the part where he talked about infections and gluten........very interesting, and what I have suspected is my problem.

Bravo to Susie, Elisabeth (who, I swear, is pregnant), Alice, and Dr. Green.

(My boss let me watch in his office...how great is that!)

jerseyangel Proficient

Laura, How nice of your boss! :)

I thought it was very good. Dr. Green was great, as usual.

I loved it when Susie Essman sopke out about the drug companies, and when Dr. Green said that people weren't actually meant to eat wheat. :o

It was so nice to have them "speaking our language" for a little while :D

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

great boss Laura

hi Patti

i got in from apt at 11:45.

guess i saw it all...

good segment. agree wish Alice could have talked more...she's just as knowlegable & nice as she is beautiful.

i'm going to ck and see if they put it on her forum.

judy

Archived