• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Soy - Can Heal?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Good day I have a general question about Soy - Our son tested as high allergy to Soy but we see no visible signs of it ourselves.

In fact he insists he is not allergic to gluten or soy because he does not have full blown anaphylactic reactions like his father does to peanuts and fish.

I tried to ask about leaky gut as the cause but they said no - maybe they do not believe in it? That he will never heal and will always be reactive to soy.

Since we do not see any outward signs of allergy do we need to avoid it 100% and be paranoid about it or just an awareness of it and do our best to avoid it. It is in basically everything and we have cleaned out the fridge and cupboards due to the soy and gluten. Or could it be doing inner damage such as cognitive / or internal organ damage, setting the stage for cancer, etc?

The testing was done through enterolabs - should we take him to a traditional allergists - which we've done in the past - about 8 years ago - just to verify the soy allergy? We have no insurance to speak of so all this is being paid for by ourselves.

Does anyone have any links to reaseach about soy damage if one ingests it while "allergic"?

We have cut out all grains, sugar, soy, - we are doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet to heal but would like to know there is an end in sight if possible - or if we need to face reality and know this is for life.

Thanks for all your help, I have another post with questions in the pre test forum.

Blue-Skye

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Blue-Skye,

The enterolab tests don't test for immediate reaction allergies. As far as I know their test is similar to delayed reaction allergies (or intolerances).

The gluten and soy could cause intestinal damage, joint pain. Don't remember if soy can cause neurological problems or not.

I've posted a couple different articles on soy in this category. I'll see if I can find them and post the links.

Ok here is a link....

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=22617

My daughter is allergic to soy. She does not have the life threatening kind of allergy and in her case the reaction will vary. She once got stomach pains while eating soy containing crackers. But usually her symptoms are skin rashes and nosebleeds. Took me a while to figure out that the nosebleeds were related to soy and peanuts. She usually has a bleed the day after eating the offending food. Also her behavior gets bad if she eats something she is allergic to. She gets really cranky and can't pay attention.

What I would do is to make a deal with him to completely cut out soy for a set period of time. A month or two? Then reintroduce it and see what happens.

I'm not up on the details of soy intolerance, but if it's anything like gluten intolerance, he'll feel so great off soy and so awful on it that it will be his choice to stay off of it and you won't have to police it.

I only did the genetic test through Enterolab (we couldn't afford the rest at the time). I did also notice a complete soy intolerance just a few weeks after going gluten-free. I had the soy intolerance for about two months and then it went away. Other food intolerances are common with celiac and gluten intolerance, some of which are permanent and others that are temporary.

I hope he feels better.

Nancy

OK my wheels are turning - he will be 13 on June 23rd. That would be about 3 months. I'm thinking maybe we could do a complete avoidance until then and then he could go to his favorite Chinese restaurant to see how he does. He begs for this restaurant. How much soy would we have to put back in - for how many "x" number of days?

I'd hate to put soy back in thinking there was no problem but it took several months to see the problem again - then we'd have to start over trying to get things healed and back to a great position.

We have cut soy and gluten (as well as sugar and processed foods) out of the home 100% - it is not in the home in any form - but he has been allowed teriyaki beef a few times at his favorite Chinese restaurant in the last 9 weeks.

My biggest problem is that I know what healthy eating entails and my thoughts were always that a bit of unhealthy here and there would not kill you - and hubby has anaphylactic reactions to peanuts and fish so I know what that does to a person but this subtle under the surface sensitivity being serious (as in needing to be 100% with zero tollerance for infractions) has been hard to drill into my hard head.

Not eating out has been our biggest struggle - learning curve. When one is tired or out and about it was just easier to eat out - but it seems there is gluten and/or soy in everything - at least at the grocery store all the premade stuff has it. I went to buy beef sausage this week and it had soy, I had to put it back and choose a brand not on sale. Then I realized the spices probably had gluten in it. This can be hard sometimes. Just easier to stick with all fresh foods to be 100% sure?

Blue-Skye

Ads by Google:

Keep in mind that most soy sauce contains soy AND gluten (wheat). So if he's been eating teriakyi beef, I doubt he's been gluten free.