This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn Questions.

GeoffCJ

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

I've been keeping a rough food diary since going gluten free, and I'm starting to suspect I might have corn issues. This is really frustrating, I'm not sure how I can handle such a restricted diet.

I'm trying to cut it out for a few weeks, then I'll reintroduce, but I have a few questions.

Is corn like gluten in that eating even a little (corn syrup, corn starch, etc) can cause a reaction?

I understand that with celiac disease, even a little causes damage with long term consequences, is that true with corn?

I guess I'm just wondering if this requires the same level of care as avoiding Gluten does? Is it just a little discomfort, or is it more serious?

Geoff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

Geoff- I don't know about corn, but I am legume intolerant (soy, peanuts, beans). If I ate peanut butter I would feel really sick, but sometimes I can handle a little soy lechithin if I'm feeling well.

hathor Contributor
Geoff- I don't know about corn, but I am legume intolerant (soy, peanuts, beans). If I ate peanut butter I would feel really sick, but sometimes I can handle a little soy lechithin if I'm feeling well.

Mtndog, I think the soy lecithin must not have the offending protein in it. When I tested positive for soy, I asked Enterolab what precisely I had to avoid. They said everything, but that soy lecithin would be OK as far as they knew. (But I don't have an immediate onset, IgE allergy to soy -- for that, I think you have to avoid lecithin too).

Do you find that sometimes you DO react to the stuff? If so, maybe I need to recheck what I'm eating. My reaction to soy is apparently very subtle. I didn't realize I had one until I cut it out of my diet.

As for corn, GeoffCJ, a better answer is probably out there on an avoiding corn listserve. I googled and found this one:

Open Original Shared Link

There must be others other there too. I also saw assorted information pages for folks avoiding corn, but I guess you would have to distinguish between allergies and intolerances.

If I were you (and I'm not :lol: ) I would do my best to avoid every bit of corn for a period of time and then challenge with it.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Geoff,

I'm intolerant to corn--discovered through an elimination diet.

I can not eat whole corn, pop corn :angry: , corn syrup, etc. I find that I can, however, tolerate some corn starch as part of a recipe.

I don't believe that corn does the same type of damage as gluten would to us. I stay away from corn, but I'm not as diligent as I am with gluten. There is corn in one of the Rx meds I take daily, and like I said, the occasional corn starch, those don't seem to bother me, so I don't worry about it.

I think intolerances are a very individual thing. We have to experiment a little to figure out what works and what dosen't. Pain in the butt sometimes :D

mouse Enthusiast

Any corn product causes my asthma to sky rocket and it lasts for days. Everything that had any corn in it was given away.

Tonight we are going to PF Changs for dinner with a friend. The chef always thickens my gluten-free dish with potatoe starch.

When I first found out my reaction to corn, I had no idea that it was in so much and really had no idea how to deal with it. This forum helped me so much. I think getting rid of corn is worse then going gluten free. But, now after 9 months of being corn free, I really find it easy.

Good luck and keep your chin up as this is very doable.

kabowman Explorer

I react to most corn but can tolerate small amounts like what is in my meds and toothpaste. I am careful with my table salt and only use regular when in public and I found I cannot tolerate most styrfoam products, don't know if that is corn related or not but I tend to put it in that category since most? are coated with corn. I know I react, I just am not sure why.

Anyway, I avoid everything I react to and the other list_serve is a great place to find info on what products change from non-corn to corn-derived. Such as, some citric acid is corn derived and I don't call the companies, although I am sure I could, I buy it, if it doesn't bother me, I eat it, many do bother me but not all.

OK, so, once you start looking, corn is in EVERYTHING but if you don't react badly to everything, then just avoid what you can. I also don't worry about my lotions or shampoos. Sometimes you just have to draw the line somewhere and I don't think they make me sick.

russell Newbie
I've been keeping a rough food diary since going gluten free, and I'm starting to suspect I might have corn issues. This is really frustrating, I'm not sure how I can handle such a restricted diet.

I'm trying to cut it out for a few weeks, then I'll reintroduce, but I have a few questions.

Is corn like gluten in that eating even a little (corn syrup, corn starch, etc) can cause a reaction?

I understand that with celiac disease, even a little causes damage with long term consequences, is that true with corn?

I guess I'm just wondering if this requires the same level of care as avoiding Gluten does? Is it just a little discomfort, or is it more serious?

Geoff

I finally figured out that corn was a diarhea problem. Eat and run to the commode. Also from this website many ohthers are corn intollerant and is common with celiac. Corn also causes small bumps on my lips-like eating fritos. Corn will not kill you. Celiac will if you dont stay on a diet. Krogers in my town has some specialty foods. I stay away from corn syrup, candies, etc. Not so bad with time. I can eat all the vegiies and meats, deserts of plenty.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Abug Rookie

I'm not sure what I'd do if I were to discover I have a problem with corn. It seems to be in everything I eat. It's my understanding that Xanthan Gum is made of corn. Is that correct? If so, that could be something to test for as well. I like what Xanthan Gum does for my recipes, and I would be sad if I had to cut it out. Best of luck with your corn exclusions! I don't envy you, though if I were in your shoes, I'd be willing to go as far as I had to for good health :) Who knows, based on how common it is with celiacs, I may one day find myself right where you are with corn :(

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I discovered my corn intolerance when I made cornbread stuffing for a Christmas turkey in 04. I do find that I can tolerate cornstarch in products and actually, in the beginning I could eat fresh corn, it was just the processed corn I could not have. I haven tried eating regular corn since. I can't have corn chips, corn flour--the processed stuff.

The same with soy--I definitely cannot have soy flour, no soy milk, no tofu--yet lecithin and most margarines are ok for me--with margarine, I make sure that soy is not the first ingredient and yes, that does make a difference.

RiceGuy Collaborator

When I discovered that corn gave me sinus problems, I tested with various kinds of corn to see why the reaction differed from one instance to another. Eventually I narrowed it down to certain hybrids - likely GMO corn specifically. While popcorn and organic corn meal cause no apparent problems, sweet corn, and especially the ones labeled "extra sweet" are definitely off my list.

HTH

zansu Rookie

I have a friend with food allergies who does a rotation diet. She will eat dairy (or corn, or wheat) but always in moderation and at least four days between and never 2 on the same day. Seems to me it would be easier to cut them out than keep track of those logistics; but it works for her. She has asthma reactions to her allergies, but seems to be OK (No symptoms) with her system. If we were having her over for dinner, we'd tell her: Make sure its a corn (or wheat or dairy) day!

I think this all boils down to what your allergic reaction is, how severe (anaphylactic is NOT to be messed with) and how sensitive you are. For my friend, buildup plays a role. If her body has time to cleanse in between, she's fine.

this is not the advise of a doctor, actual results may differ, etc, etc.

DebbieInCanada Rookie
...Is corn like gluten in that eating even a little (corn syrup, corn starch, etc) can cause a reaction?

Geoff

I also avoid corn, and yep, it's in everything. I was at a web site sponsored by corn producers, and it is truly mind-boggling to realize how many products have corn in them. Their "education" page is titled "A Zillion Uses for Corn!"

For me, my reaction is debilitating enough, that I avoid it as diligently as I avoid gluten. If I were to eat corn chips I would vomit and have diarrhea. If I eat corn syrup or corn starch, I get tired and depressed. I also get inner ear swelling and congestion, so I get dizzy, and can't concentrate.

I don't really know if this does any long term damage, but it effects my ability to work and take care of my family, so it's GONE!

If you decide you need to go corn-free, do some googling. There are some very helpful web sites (ironically, some of them sponsored by the corn industry B) ) that can tell you all the additives and processing methods which use corn products.

Good luck.

Debbie

Abug Rookie

Anyone happen to know off the top of your head if Xanthan Gum is made from corn?

RiceGuy Collaborator
Anyone happen to know off the top of your head if Xanthan Gum is made from corn?

I've read that some producers feed the microbes on corn, and others feed them on wheat. I suppose a few other things may be used as well.

To me, a microbial slime isn't so appealing, so I use guar gum. It's from guar beans.

Archived