This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Easily Bruising

Ali-1956

Ali-1956 Rookie

Since I have been diagnoised w/ celiac disease, i notice bruises more easily. Does anyone else have this problem? Ali

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
Since I have been diagnoised w/ celiac disease, i notice bruises more easily. Does anyone else have this problem? Ali

Hard to say specifically... for some reason I never understood I never bruised much anyway... Ive broken bones and the bruising has been barely noticable (which always made for bad diagnoses whenever I did).

However I think I do bruise more eaily since being gluten-free... ?? but having said that just more "normally"

Ursa Major Collaborator

You may be low in vitamin K, which is common in celiac disease. Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting.

jerseyangel Proficient

I bruised very easily before I was diagnosed. A very slight bump would cause me to bruise. My wrists and arms looked like I had been beaten up!

I know I was severly anemic at the time, and most likely had a vitamin K deficiency too.

Have you been gluten-free for long? It took several months before I didn't bruise easily. Maybe you need to give the diet more time?

Nancym Enthusiast

I ALWAYS bruised easily before I went gluten-free. I think it's better now, I can't remember having an "mystery" bruises in a long while.

Also I used to do martial arts and was constantly covered with nasty, hideous bruises from just our regular lessons. I wonder if it'd be better now? :)

gfp Enthusiast
I ALWAYS bruised easily before I went gluten-free. I think it's better now, I can't remember having an "mystery" bruises in a long while.

Also I used to do martial arts and was constantly covered with nasty, hideous bruises from just our regular lessons. I wonder if it'd be better now? :)

Sorry for hijacking (in a way) but can anyone explain why I never did bruise?

I know it seems weird but I don't know if its related to people who bruised easily and now I'm more normal or just me being weird...

Back when I was training full time I'd be doing the same class as everyone else and everyone else would be covered in bruises .. its like I'd fracture my shins at least one a week ... I just never bruised??? (and you hardly need an XRAY when you can actually jiggle the bone around) My body is a mess of little chips of bone .. some of which reattached and some of which are just floating about?

loraleena Contributor

Easy bruising can be caused by low platelets. I have chronically low, but not dangerously low platelets, and bruise very easy. Get your platelets checked. They should be about 150,000. Mine are around 110,000- to 130,000. No treatment required, but I need to watch out for heavier periods, or bleeding gums, or any bleeding that does not stop easily.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I second the thing on the platelets - especially if you have bleeding gums, or little red dots on your skin where things press against it, like shoes or seat belts or whatever. You could have ITP, an autoimmune disease that causes you to kill your own platelets. You probably don't -- it is not particularly common -- but if you haven't had a CBC run in a while, you might want to to check your platelet count.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I still bruise very badly. One day I had this huge welt on my arm and someone asked me if John was beating me up. Sadly they were not joking.

cornflakegirl-1980 Newbie

Yeah, Ali_1956 is my mom and she bruises so easily. She has a bruise on her leg and it just appeared there. She never hit it or anything that she can remember. And the bruise is quite big (one you would remember if you bumped it). And another thing that did bruise her really bad was b-12 shot. And she, thinks that the nurse just did a bad job on that shot. But we just wondered about it and celiac......?

BTW I know this is off the wall but is there any corellation between glaucoma and celiac???? Just curious...

Jess

Nancym Enthusiast
Sorry for hijacking (in a way) but can anyone explain why I never did bruise?

Is your name... Clark Kent? That'd explain it!

jennyj Collaborator

I too bruise very easily. I still have two very black bruises from where I had my IV iron infusion in November. Thanks for the info on what to check for.

HannahHannah Apprentice

My whole life I've bruised ridiculously easily. my friends at university used to make a joke - if they prodded me in the arm, would I get a big bruise etc!

gfp Enthusiast
Is your name... Clark Kent? That'd explain it!

Nope ... and its not like I don't damage myself.... I just don't bruise....

It might sound ideal.... honestly its not.... think of being an asymptomatic celiac...

Its highly subjective I know but I also seem to have a high pain threshold... I can literally break stuff and find its sore but not excrutiating... and when you put this together its actually pretty inconvenient... I mean swelling and pain are for a reason.

A long time ago now I broke my ankle... (being stupid) .. it went with a loud crack... (really loud)... I went to a A&E the next day and got dismissed with it would hurt more/be more swollen if I'd broken it....

2 weeks later its still not getting better and I'm hobbling on it... so I go back and get sent away again no-xray....

2 weeks later (again) I go in and by chance an orthopedic surgeon is working A&E.... he prods about for 30 secs says Ive broken 3 bones and probably torn 2 ligaments but will send me for x-rays to make sure.

Sure enough Ive broken 3 bones ... and he say's torn the ligaments but its already started knotting together so I should have been in plaster for 6 weeks at this piont but its too late.... other than rebreaking my ankle ..

At this point in my life I literally couldn't afford the time off work....

So now I have a odd shaped ankle, the ligaments cross in the wrong place... if I wear skiboots or rollerblades I have to cut out a hole ...

So true story coninued.... a friend rings me up at work cos he hurt his ankle playing football... he doesn't speak French and needs me to help him... I get over to his appt and take a look.. its all purple ... I mean I take one look and think WOW... my ankle didn't even go black... it was just slightly puffy this must be really serious... its blue running right up his leg....

I get him to a hospital and they x-ray him and ... he's sprained it!

I swear if it was me I have problems trying to even get them to x-ray it....

Back when I was 17-21 my GP also trained with me.... he saw my arm get snapped one day in a competition (full contact knockdown) (both ligaments across the elbow) so he always beleived me.... but other than him (who I lost when I went to uni)

Once again I now have a left arm that is permanently twisted as the ligaments healed at different lengths...

Honestly, I'd love to know why..... and its nowhere as convenient or fun as it sounds...Ive got chips of bone all over my body (at least I now know why I broke them so easily) but I mainly just don't even bother going to a doctor when I break something because of the whole explaining I don't bruise thing .. and yes you can be sure you broke it when you have a loose chip of bone floating about!

I broke my foot before xmas... (dropped a big drill on it (a green one)) and it stuck in ... I had to pull the screwdriver attachment out with a pair of pliers it was stuck in so deep and bits of bone came out with it but I just got to the point where I really can't be bothered with doctors telling me it would show more swelling/bruising and hurt more....

Archived