• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Amy BG

• Topics

• The only symptom I know of that is celiac for certain is dh, which must be diagnosed by a dermatologist.
    • I have both eoe and celiac and now that I have been gluten free for 18 months, my anemia is gone.  It is good to get off the iron supliments because mine may have been the cause of my ulcers.  It feels good to recover and heal!  I may work my way down to fewer supliments and lots of feel great days despite eoe, celiac, ulcers, hiatal hernia, and acid reflux. I was on Flovent and omiprizol for a while but I am happy to be done with both! Best of luck!  I am here if you have specific questions.
    • Your daughter does not have a strong positive.  I suspect that the GI might do as RMJ suggested which would be to load her up on gluten for six months and retest.  On the other hand, with a diagnosed sibling and a very mild positive, your GI might recommend the endoscopy or run the test again to make sure there were no errors.      Together,  you and your doctor can decide what is best for your daughter.   My daughter tested negative but she had been consuming gluten daily.  I still make sure that she consumes gluten at school and while away from home.  If she wants a donut, she eats it on the porch!  When we test her again, it can not be after a summer because she has been on very light gluten diet.   The control test?  It is elevated, but not a lot.  So, I would not worry.  Your lab range might be have a lot of people with a lower IGA.  At my lab, the range max is around 400.  
    • I was diagnosed with celiac last year on an endoscopy looking for the cause of my anemia. At the time, my GI doc tested m for EoE and it was negative. Fast forward 11 months, I developed sudden heart burn, dysphagia out of the blue. My doc thinks it's EoE. Biopsy was last week and I am still waiting on the results.  I have not started any treatment yet, but I was told that allergy testing is not reliable for diagnosing the cause of EoE. An elimination diet is the treatment.  About 40% of all cases are caused by gluten, 30 % dairy, and the other 30% are fish/seafood, soy, peanuts/tree nuts, eggs and "other". Currently, the GI dept/Celiac center at UCLA is recommending that people diagnosed with EoE start by eliminating dairy and gluten for 3months and seeing what happens. Since this is 70% of the causes it should help a lot of people without making them be on a crazy restrictive diet.  If all symptoms resolve, then you have your answer.  If you are still having symptoms after eliminating those 2 classes of food, then eliminate all soy, nuts, eggs and fish/seafood for 3 months. Then add each class back one at a time and see if your symptoms come back. ( I saw one recommendation where patients were getting a scope every 3 months after reintroducing a food class to check on healing - this seemed excessive to me). Now, I don't have an official diagnosis, so my looking into the treatment is very preliminary. I'm sure there are lots of ways to approach it.  I should find out my own results in the next several days, so I guess I'll know soon whether to find a similar board like this for EoE.  Just thinking about eliminating all those foods makes me a bit ill.....I love cheese and dairy. So I guess I'll see. 
    • No, the control test is to verify that she will react to that particular type of test. If she didn't, then certain of the bloods would not be applicable to her. They would be false negatives. As far as tests being weak positives, that's like being a little pregnant. A positive is a positive. Period. Since she does have one positive that is enough to move forward with an endoscopic biopsy but you really need to make sure she eats at least a 1/2 slice of gluten bread per day for a minimum of 2 weeks before the endoscopy.   
  • Upcoming Events