This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Artificial & Natural Flavoring

aatwoson

aatwoson Newbie

I know natural flavoring was always considered questionable because it can be derived from wheat, since wheat is a naturally grown plant.

However, I was surprised when I noticed Artificial Flavoring on the Safe List. Last week at the grocery store I noticed dried fruit with the following ingredient:

ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR (WHEAT)

So I guess artificial flavor can contain gluten.

My question is: Are natural & artificial flavorings typically gluten free? Or are they at least typically gluten free in certain kinds of products? Is there any way to know, or at least be reasonably certain, that the flavorings do not contain gluten?

I wonder the same about food colorings. Are colorings typically gluten free? Or are they typically gluten-free when used in certain types of foods, perhaps? I know caramel color is listed questionable, but is "likely gluten-free is manufactured in North America." However, colorings in general do not include the "likely gluten-free is manucatured in North America" clause. And by colorings, that means ingredients like Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue Lake etc., right?

My girlfriend has had celiac as long as I have known her. She is constantly sick with stomach aches & feels bloated. She becomes so discouraged sometimes, I cannot help but want to do everything possible to help her feel healthy. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

Natural flavors can also have barley malt or malt flavoring in them and they do NOT have to be labeled by law. There is a list of companies that will not hide gluten (barley) in their products that I will post below. If you are unsure, you can always contact the company to verify for sure.

When a company says it will clearly list gluten, you might still see things

like "modified food starch" or "natural flavor." In this case, the suspect

ingredient does not have gluten if gluten is not plainly listed. I cannot

tell you about any policies regarding cross contamination.

Aunt Nelly's

Balance Oasis (Balance bars)

Baskin Robbins

Ben & Jerry

Betty Crocker

Blue Bunny

Breyers

Campbells

Cascadian Farms

Celestial Seasonings

Country Crock

Edy's

General Mills

Good Humor

Green Giant

Haagen Daz

Hellman's

Hershey

Hormel

Jiffy

Knorr

Kozy Shack

Kraft

Libby's

Lipton

Martha White

McCormick

Nabisco

Nestle

Old El Paso

Ortega

Pillsbury

Popsicle

Progresso

Russell Stover

Seneca Foods

Stokely's

Sunny Delight

T Marzetti

Tyson

Unilever

Wishbone

Yoplait

Zatarain's

dionnek Enthusiast

From what I've read, in the US (not sure about other countries), the caramel color is made from corn (sodas, etc. are gluten free). And anything made from wheat has to say wheat somewhere in the label, but as wolfie said, barely and rye, malt, etc. do NOT have to be listed (although I think pretty much most modified food starch is either wheat or corn). It took me about 5-6 months being gluten-free before my intestinal issues got better (and still aren't great). She might have other food intollerances too - many of us can't handle corn, soy, and dairy.

aatwoson Newbie

I understand why Natural Flavoring is questionable. I was just wondering what the likelihood of Natural Flavoring containing gluten is. Is there anyway to tell? For example, is it unlikely that Natural Flavoring would contain gluten if it were in a certain item, like a beverage?

And what about artificial color & colorings then? And "Color Added"?

And what about things like Yellow 5, Blue 40 etc.? (Are these the same things as food coloring, coloring, color added, etc.?)

grantschoep Contributor

From my research (calling companies about the products). Generally Natural and Artificial flavorings is gluten-free. But I would never ever trust it. If you look at the FDA description of these two( I did at a library once, not just on Wikipedia) the definition can basically be interpreted as "Contains things to add flavor"

For both... at least the still must list wheat(in the US)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - plumbago replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - trents replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

4. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

5. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

NYKaren
    Newest Member
    NYKaren
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• plumbago
      I'm also a nurse, but one who has worked in chronic care, and to some extent, it is more satisfying to see patients through to a diagnosis (as opposed to working in the ED), but an accurate diagnosis does not occur not as often as it should! Your posting presents a lot of information. But a couple of things I can respond to. One, celiac disease is diagnosed by endoscopy and biopsy of the duodenum. So, pathology will need to weigh in. It's not diagnosed on gastroscopy. (At least, not as far as I know). Two, did you get blood tests for celiac disease? You will need to be eating gluten in order for those to be accurate. Three, where was the CT angiogram (of what)? I could go on and on, but thought I'd start there.
    • trents
      Was a biopsy done when you had your gastroscopy? Concerning your anemia, are you B12 deficient? It's nearly impossible to get sufficient B12 if you are a vegetarian unless you take supplements.
    • Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .