This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonalds Must Read

Guest gliX

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

MCD' s Gluten Free List

Beverages

Apple Juice

Coffee

Hot Chocolate

1% Low Fat Milk, White or Chocolate

Orange Juice

Soft Drinks

Chocolate Triple Thick® Shake

Strawberry Triple Thick® Shake

Vanilla Triple Thick® Shake

Condiments/Sauces

Butter

Chicken McNugget® Honey

Chicken McNugget® Hot Mustard Sauce

Hotcake Syrup

Jam

Ketchup

Lettuce

Margarine

Mayonnaise

Mustard

Onions

Pickles

Tartar Sauce

Tomato

Miscellaneous

Apple Dippers and Low Fat Caramel Dip

American Cheese

Beef Patty (no bun)

Breakfast Beef Steak

Canadian Bacon

French Fries

Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait (no granola)

Grilled Chicken Breast (no bun)+

Hash Browns

Ice Cream Sundaes including nuts

McFlurry® with M&M'S® Candies

Sausage

Scrambled Egg

Salads/Dressings

Caesar Salad w/o Chicken+

Side Salad

Newman's Own® Creamy Caesar Dressing

Newman's Own® Cobb Dressing

Newman's Own® Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette

Newman's Own® Ranch Dressing

Newman's Own® Salsa

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gliX

just to add something..the Chicken Selects Chiptotle BBQ Sauce IS gluten free

i called mcds today to make sure, because its not on the gluten-free list, but thats because its a new item.

good for fry dipping :o

VydorScope Proficient

As I said before my my son has been glutend by mcDonlad fires... I would HIGHLY recomed celiac disease ppl stay away from Mcdonalds fries. I tend to stay away form the whole place, figure if they messing up something that simple, the rest is suspect. And I far form the only one here that has had problems... in fact it seems MOST ppl do.

NO offense to any hardworking decent McDondals emplyees... but I will not put my son at that risk again. In fact... have not had fries anywhere out in a long while, got my own frier and I know how to use it. :D

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I eat at our local McD's and I'm very sensitive and I've never been sick. However, when I first went there I tried to speak to the employees about gluten-free and they were clueless, heck until I had celiac disease I didn't know anything about it so its crazy to depend on a high school kid for info.

I asked to speak to the manager and he not only understood celiac disease but assured me that although the kids working there may not understand the disease they do understand that nothing but fries go into the french fry fryer. I've had them many times and have been fine. I don't do the bunless burgers because I'm afraid of the cross contamination issues with the gloves.

But I get fries and the yogurt and fruit salad or the ceaser salad and I'm fine.

Susan

Guest gliX

pixie, i'm sure you already know but make sure not to get chicken or walnuts with the salad because they're not gluten-free. Most mcdonalds also cook hash browns in their oil but Hash Browns are gluten-free.

vydor, I'm sure theres some mcdonalds out there that do not only cook fries and hash browns in the oil like they're supposed to so its right for you to not eat there. i don't eat there even though i get free food because theres like 3000 calories in a meal.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Yes I did find out about the walnuts but its a good reminder to put it up here again, thanks!

Susan

Guest gliX

I would talk to the manager at one close to home and make sure the fry oil is kept separate so then you can go back and not have to worry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
I would talk to the manager at one close to home and make sure the fry oil is kept separate so then you can go back and not have to worry

Why do you promote Mckdonalds so much? Just being nosey, you so gunho on them, depsite the many many negative epxerences that ppl here have had, you keep telling ppl to go back.. so just wondering why? No real reason, just being nosey. :D

Personally, I do not consider them to be gluten-free because we have had problems there, as many others have, and I do not really care bout thier website calims when I have personal expernce to say otherwise. So my reason for being so negative about them is quite clear, I dont want ppl to get glutened. :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Pretty much everywhere is a risk for contamination (given some more then others)

Personally, at McDonalds, I have had good experiences. When I go I get their fries or their hash browns and prior to ordering we check and make sure they are prepared by themselves.

I would understand not wanting to go back if there was a previous gluten accident that has happened to you. I would not go back either if that happened.

Guest gliX

I'm not promoting mcdonalds at all, i'm just helping people with questions

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I could be wrong (I didn't count) but it seems like there are as many good experiences here as bad. I was at McD's yesterday and had a fine experience. I really do think a lot of one's experience can be traced to speaking to the management at McD's. I've never had a problem at one.

Susan

VydorScope Proficient

I think its prbly just best to stay way from anything in a deep fryer unless you have good reason to beliver other was on that pictular day. I used to be a short order cook and we only had 1 fryer, and in went fries, nuggets, etc. Man if I knew about celiac disease then I would have pushed for a second fryer.... :(

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Thats exactly the point, McDonalds has a dedicated fryer for fries... its in a seperate station and they only use it for fries, so there is no cross contamination with chicken nuggets and such. I've never been in a McD's that wasn't set up this way. However I do speak to the manager when I go into a new McD's to be sure their fryer is used only for fries. So far with all the local McD's... every one is set up that way. I'm not a huge McD's fan but its nice to have one resturant virtually everywhere in the USA that you can be "fairly" sure of.

Susan

VydorScope Proficient

Its your gut if you want to eat there, I for one will not risk my toddler again. He only had MickeyD's fires once, and it was very bad. So long as I am detriming to food, he wont have to go through that again. At least not with McDonald's fries... their are many other optertunites for a screw up, no need to go looking there! heh

Tha being said, I hope you know that McDonalds is a franchise and that different areas of the country do not neccessarly have the same polices. Sure there are certin rules in place... but with varied degree of enforcement (human nature). Typicaly a group of Mcdondals are owned by the same palce in a given region. For example where I grew up, one family owned 40 locations. So a given rule might be constant over those 40... and not the one 2 towns over.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Which is exactly why I said I speak to the manager when I go to a McD's that I've never been too before.

Susan

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I will say this,

For the past few Sundays, I have been going back to McD's for their hash browns in the morning.

During two of the Sundays, I ordered the Big Breakfast (double hash browns no Biscuit -- no charge)

When I ordered the Big Breakfast, I had "severe digestive trauma" and diarrhea, but when I had just the hash browns, I had no ill effects.

It has to be the gloves on the cook, right??

This is problematic for me because I love McD's sausage, but am petrified of trying the Big Breakfast again as the consequences outweigh the benefits...

Thoughts???

Guest gliX

At the one where I work, hash browns are kept separate, and so are the gloves. So if ALL you ate was the two hash browns and it got you sick, that restaurant is probably not keeping the foods separate like they're supposed to.

however, if you order a burger, no bun, the same gloves are used, and there is a risk of contamination through the gloves. personally, I don't consider it a real problem and eat burgers there without the buns. but if you're very sensitive when you accidentally eat wheat, then stay away from the burgers.

chasesparents Rookie

gLIX - what about the scrambled eggs and sausage?? Do you think that gets cross-contaminated?? My son has had the big breakfast (minus the bisquit) about 3 times and has not had a reaction, but now I am worried. :(

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I've worked in a fast food place and it is easy for people to be careless with the gloves (like forget to take them off for example). It is very busy sometimes and very easy to forget little details like gloves. If you want to make sure they use separate gloves, I would order inside and ask that they use separate gloves due to severe allergies/intolerances.

Guest gliX

Mmm, i've only came in for breakfast a few times and since i do front counter i'm not sure..i know a lot more about the lunch items. but they are cooked in the same station i believe. (not same oven but in same frying area)

i would talk to the manager to check

• 2 weeks later...
PrincessLEah Rookie

hey you can have the sausage and the hashbrowns and the scrambled eggs and the ice cream sundae and you can have a shake there too but I can't remember which one.

Guest gliX
Open Original Shared Link
Teku Apprentice

We go to Mc Donalds alot. Every time I say Mc Donalds my brother says I'm loving it :lol: .

Guest gliX

how cute <_< haha

Guest Agonist
don't forget to make sure the french fries are fried separately from the chicken nuggets

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doing so would be a health code violation, they aren't allowed to because of people like us =)

Archived