• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Hemp

3 posts in this topic

I purchased Hemp tortillas recently because I cannot stand corn tortillas any longer and the Hemp tortillas looked interesting and the package felt soft. They were great. Has anyone tried them? I am so happy to have tried them. I have had wonderful salad filled hemp tortillas all week long.

Today I was on a site called votehemp.com It was very interesting information. I believe the celiac community would do itself a great service by getting behind the Industrial Hemp movement. The crop is easily grown in the U.S. The food products are delicious! Offers an alternative that is grown in the U.S. and is very healthy. Again, our government is reacting to it's long time friends in the other grain industries, so the HEMP growers need friends from the consumers. We celiacs should band together to promote the resource Hemp growers offer us. With the CNN report stating that the gluten free industry is tripling, why not throw our collective weight behind a fledgling industry that is NEEDS support, will provide US with a food source that is local to the U.S. , healthy and looking to remain ORGANIC so it's not loaded with pesticides? I'm hoping others reading this will check out the site, see the value to the celiac community, get behind the votehemp campaign, and become the main backers of the growers thereby becoming the folks THEY answer to rather than some other group. It would be nice to have a grain grower looking to us for support! I see this as an opportunity for the celiac community in the U.S.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Yes, I really like the tortillas. I have a freezer full of them.

I love hemp tortillas! I used to buy them at Whole Foods and now I can't find them. I read on another site that they were discontinued. I want them back! Where do you get them??

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Debbie S

• Topics

• I can not help you except to offer some emotional support.  You are not crazy!  You can get glutened on a farm.  Here is a study: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc063112#t=article This topic has come up before: Hugs!      
    • I know I got glutened after handling some straw last year helping out decorating at the farmers market then going to eat something without washing my hands. I later learned it was wheat straw, some of them still had the heads on them and everything. Gave that area wide walk around after that, I did not have much issues with inhalation with it. But if your there with a thrasher running, down wind during the harvest.......I imagine it might be hell if your super sensitive. If you get skin reactions that easily from it I guess taking a vacation during harvest? Try staying indoors, dust mask, long sleeves and pants hope for the best.......I am just throwing some ideas out there. Maybe someone can help a bit more.
    • Hi i haven't been diagnosed yet. Bloodwork was negative (on gluten free diet) and I'm awaiting skin biopsy results  I have DH on the front of my thighs. The dermatologist says DH only happens on knees and elbows therefore I don't have it. It's itchy as hell, blisters, purple scans as It heals, migrates around but always in that spot on both legs. It takes 5 days after exposure to gluten for it to show up and it can last for a month. I throw up 24 hours after exposure, GI symptoms 36 hours after that last for about a week. I also will have a panic attack somewhere in that time.  I've been gluten free since December. Rash went away after a week of no gluten but came back after a few months (I ate a rice Crispie square)  My problem is this. I live in a farming community. I just filled my dogs kennel with straw not even THINKING about gluten. This was last week. All symptoms happened in order and now the DH is back. How the hell am I going to survive? I can stop using it on my property but what if it's in the air during Harvest time? I thought I had a mental handle on this but I'm devastated and terrified. My husband doubts it's possible the straw Glutened me but I know it did. What if this summer the air literally kills me? Has anyone dealt with this? I feel like I'm going insane, I'm so obsessed with this and now I'm itchy and sick too 😥 
    • It's good to be aware isn't it. Medical research has verified airborne particles can be problematic and hopefully there will be greater refinement in the research to establish greater understanding over time.  The site manager at the construction site informed me that my symptoms starting coincided with when the work with cement started. As I got sick from plaster in my house I am thinking this could be related. I was honest with my doctor about my symptoms and said I thought it had something to do with working next to a construction site. He said it sounds like an allergice response and said that it could be related to gluten symptoms but that these things are poorly understood.  The cement work nearest my window is finishing this week and I'm due to return to my job. Relief! X 
    • Dairy is definitely the thing to put on hold for a while -  you may eventually like to introduce some hard cheese like cheddar which I could tolerate for months before I went back to drinking milk again. Best to avoid tight waistbands if you can because even four years after diagnosis I find that I still get quite bloated at times and tight belts are painful in a way they never were before. Peppermint tea helps some people if they are suffering from trapped wind. Walking helps too, I find.
  • Upcoming Events