• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Rate this topic

I purchased Hemp tortillas recently because I cannot stand corn tortillas any longer and the Hemp tortillas looked interesting and the package felt soft. They were great. Has anyone tried them? I am so happy to have tried them. I have had wonderful salad filled hemp tortillas all week long.

Today I was on a site called votehemp.com It was very interesting information. I believe the celiac community would do itself a great service by getting behind the Industrial Hemp movement. The crop is easily grown in the U.S. The food products are delicious! Offers an alternative that is grown in the U.S. and is very healthy. Again, our government is reacting to it's long time friends in the other grain industries, so the HEMP growers need friends from the consumers. We celiacs should band together to promote the resource Hemp growers offer us. With the CNN report stating that the gluten free industry is tripling, why not throw our collective weight behind a fledgling industry that is NEEDS support, will provide US with a food source that is local to the U.S. , healthy and looking to remain ORGANIC so it's not loaded with pesticides? I'm hoping others reading this will check out the site, see the value to the celiac community, get behind the votehemp campaign, and become the main backers of the growers thereby becoming the folks THEY answer to rather than some other group. It would be nice to have a grain grower looking to us for support! I see this as an opportunity for the celiac community in the U.S.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I love hemp tortillas! I used to buy them at Whole Foods and now I can't find them. I read on another site that they were discontinued. I want them back! Where do you get them??

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Audrey’s Mom

• Topics

• Welcome!  Here is more information about a gluten challenge: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/ I would personally go for the maximum amount of tine and would consume as much gluten as I could tolerate 1 to 2 slices a day.  Why?  Researchers really do not know who builds antibodies fast.  Some can do it in as few as a few weeks and others take much longer.  Where do you fit?  You do not know, so considering the maximum recommendation.   Do not be horrified about your doctor googling.  That is an excellent sign, in my opinion.  My neighbor is an ER doctor.  He googles all the time and combining that with his vast medical training and work experience, allows him to quickly help patients.    There is no way a doctor can know everything about disease and treatment.   I wish you well!  
    • I have not found any that are reasonable (a gluten-free kit is available on Amazon and they want  $50 ).  Either you make the GINGERBREAD walls from scratch (gluten free)  or just use cardboard as a base and “glue”  on gluten-free gram crackers or “stucco” (fondant)  with frosting or   We never eat the end product; however, the kids consume plenty of decorations while it is assembled.  I would not recommend handling a gluten gingerbread house.  It is too crumbly and the risk for cross contamination is great.  So, make a gluten free version or create a new holiday tradition.  
    • My daughter who is 9 and newly diagnosed went on a secret gluten binge about a month ago.  I had her gluten free cupcakes in a package next to the gluten containing cupcakes.  She decided to test it out and ate 3 or 4 mini gluten filled cupcakes in about 10 minutes.   She ended up super sick and threw up a few times.  It was a good learning experience for her.  She now turns down cupcakes at parties.   I am Room Mom for her class this year and bring both gluten free and store bought for the class.
    • Looks like you tested negative on the celiac blood tests.  Who ordered the tests?  Reticulin has not been used for more than a decade.   This makes me think that your doctor may not be so celiac-savvy.  Why does that matter?  Some 10% of celiacs are seronegative.  If celiac disease is strongly suspected, a  GI might want to confirm with an endoscopy.   Also, you did not say how long your gluten challenge was before that last blood test.  A challenge requires a person to be on a gluten diet for 8 to 12 weeks: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/ Do you have any risk factors, like family history, another autoimmune disorder, IBS?   https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/celiac-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20352220 It seems like the Gluten Free diet is helping your current symptoms of joint pain and rashes.  So, then you would be considered Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive/Intolerant.  That diagnosis is done when celiac disease has been ruled out.  I can see why he recommended the gluten free diet.  You felt better!   You are going to have to decide if pursuing a celiac disease diagnosis is necessary for you.  I wish you well.    
    • Anyone kbow if aleve or Advil is safe to take for gluten free?
  • Upcoming Events