This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Okay So Now I'm Mad At Them

TrillumHunter

debmidge Rising Star

As for me, I'll still make allowances for people who are not as skilled in this area. It's just me, as I think, "there for the grace of God go I." I am sure, however, since the advent of the computer, there's more information out there. ;)

Fiddle-Faddle: what was your Mother researching?

• 5 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

numbfeet Newbie
Bottom line: if you have a computer, a high school education or better, and you are reasonably intelligent, you are capable of doing the research--all you need to do is google your symptoms, and read what comes up and decide if it fits or not. And if you are capable of doing the research, there is no reason you should take an MD's word for anything.

Please remember that some people are too sick to do thier own research be it at the library or online. As far as I am concerned that is one of the reasons I pay taxes - to pay experts to do it for me when I cannot.

gfp Enthusiast
I am sorry to hear this, now that you are aware of them is there going to be some kind of treatment?

B6 and gluten-free diet works well!

gfp Enthusiast
. As far as I am concerned that is one of the reasons I pay taxes - to pay experts to do it for me when I cannot.

Yeah, I pay taxes too. You'd think the government would pay someone to help me fill out tax forms to my advantage too?

Strangely, when I do my own (boring as it is and pressed for time as I am) I end up paying less tax.

I find the same with my health research, the more I know myself the better the results when interfacing with 'medical professionals'.

TheS0urce Newbie

You don't have to just rely on doctors and the internet. I believe in spiritual healing, I don't do healings nor do I have a web site, I'm tell you from my experience meditation can help or even fully recover. I have been practicing falun dafa (you can google it to find the site) and I am slowly getting better. I am limited what I can eat for some reason, I can't have all fruits, most veggies, so I stuck with a few grains.

It is believed human have auras, when we get sick the auras get weak by the effects of karma. Karma is when you do bad things. Now wait I'm not saying anyone is bad but if you check out the site and read the two books you will see what I mean. Anyways by doing the exercises and meditation I am slowly getting better. Still have to figure out what I can eat though so it's a big battle for me.

When I tell people they laugh at me or they tell me to tell them i'm joking. But I know it works because I have been doing it.

I also only drink water to help the cells carry toxins out of my body. I hope for your sake you take a look and at least try for a month or so what else can you lose?

I am totally fed up with doctors because it's hard to get good health care in ontario, Canada since the doctors are paid less now.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

OH MY GOSH,

I READ THE FIRST 6 POSTS AND GOING TO PRINT AND GO READ AND THEN RESPOND.

I CAN RELATE TO SO MUCH......ESP THE 'SPOTS' ON THE BRAIN MRI.' I HAVE THEM TOO BUT NOT IN THE RIGHT PLACES..............GOOD GRIEF :blink: WELL SOMETHING HAS TO CAUSE THEM... ;)

OH MY............THIS GLUTEN IS SUCH A NASTY LITTLE BUGGER :ph34r:

JUDY

JodiC Apprentice

I too have demyelinization and "tia" looking lesions. After being sick my whole life (I am 31) I was finally diagnosed 1 year after having a MRI. First they thought I had MS and I spent about 8 months thinking that. Then an internal med doctor suggested testing for Celiac. I thought he was nuts, but turned out he knew what to look for. Never stop demanding excellent healthcare. If you don't agree with the answer fight for the correct one. My doctor is very open to learning (we are practically the same age) so it has been alot easier. I am able to get referrals and procedures done. She even consults with a doctor at the Mayo just to make sure the care I recieve is proper. I have had my share of doctors tell me that I was crazy or "I just can't help you", so I am glad I found this one. It's sad that the neuro part of this disease isn't written about and ot studied more. I have a 6 year old who has a "unidentified bright object", GI issues, behavior issues etc... the blood tests keep coming back negative so we are trying to figure out if we should scope him or try the diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I too have demyelinization and "tia" looking lesions. After being sick my whole life (I am 31) I was finally diagnosed 1 year after having a MRI. First they thought I had MS and I spent about 8 months thinking that. Then an internal med doctor suggested testing for Celiac. I thought he was nuts, but turned out he knew what to look for. Never stop demanding excellent healthcare. If you don't agree with the answer fight for the correct one. My doctor is very open to learning (we are practically the same age) so it has been alot easier. I am able to get referrals and procedures done. She even consults with a doctor at the Mayo just to make sure the care I recieve is proper. I have had my share of doctors tell me that I was crazy or "I just can't help you", so I am glad I found this one. It's sad that the neuro part of this disease isn't written about and ot studied more. I have a 6 year old who has a "unidentified bright object", GI issues, behavior issues etc... the blood tests keep coming back negative so we are trying to figure out if we should scope him or try the diet.

You should get him on the diet. You could scope first but that may give you a false negaive especially if his GI tract is not yet being effected. In some more advanced countries that bright spot would have gotten you a clear celiac diagnosis but here in the US you have to be almost dead before they will give it to you. If you google neurological celiac you will find many, many articles on UBOs, unfortunately US doctors don't bother to read them. You will be heading off a lifetime of misery for your child if you get him on the diet before permanent nerve damage is done.

bakingbarb Enthusiast
This is totally a vent so read at your own will!

I am recently diagnosed after 13 years of symptoms and OODLES of tests. For years they had me thinking I had MS. The last MRI I had four years ago showed lesions. I was terrified! But they said they were in the wrong place for MS and that they were nothing. BUT THEY WERE SOMETHING!! I am so p***ed off at that dr right now I could scream. Why was this so hard to diagnose? I had lots of complaints but I also had verifiable abnormalities in my blood work and scans. It wasn't like there was nothing to put together.

I hope I can get over this feeling soon. I don't want to linger on this but I would really like to yell at those people for a bit!

Thanks for "listening!"

I would like to say that it isn't just us with Celiac that get the shaft from the medical community. My son had pyloric stenosis and was in the process of looking like a starving child. He was skin and bones with a distended tummy. Ya there wasn't anything wrong with him was what I was told over and over. Oh and one ER nurse told me she wasn't go to waste a Dr's time and wouldn't let us in. Didn't I know to feed him fruit for the constipation (under 2 months of age).

I have despised the medical community ever sense then. Very rarely do they get it right. Only Dr we had that was smart was a homeopathic Dr. She treated my middle son for servere allergy/asthma. Although he probably should be off wheat!

bakingbarb Enthusiast
Nope, can't agree with that today, at least, not if you have a computer. You don't need to know what you are looking for. I had no clue what I was looking for when I googled, "rash" and "thyroid," because that's all I had to go on, and I still found celiac.

I didn't realize I was having digestive symptoms til they went away (now, doesn't that sound idiotic??!!). But I was able to find a picture of DH that looked EXACTLY like my rash, even though the dermatologist sniffed and said it couldn't be DH since it was on my arms. By the time I was able to convince him to do the bloodwork, I had already been gluten-free for a month (I didn't know enough back then), yet my IgG was through the roof. And the dermatologist insisted that it was normal, but I found you guys, asked questions, and you guys helped me understand that it wasn't.

Bottom line: if you have a computer, a high school education or better, and you are reasonably intelligent, you are capable of doing the research--all you need to do is google your symptoms, and read what comes up and decide if it fits or not. And if you are capable of doing the research, there is no reason you should take an MD's word for anything.

I do not have a diploma of advanced medical education, but I cannot for a minute say that any doctor (at this point) is more responsible for my health than I am.

My mother didn't have a medical degree, either--her degree was in English. And our little town didn't even have a college, let alone a medical school. She went wherever she needed to go (I think it was either Northwester or U. of Chicago) in order to access the med school library, and she xeroxed whatever seemed appropriate, and brought it home and read it.

I don't mean to make you feel bad about 30 years ago, and if I did, I sincerely apologize.

I cannot agree with you all the way. Yes I do agree we have to educate ourselves and the internet helps us greatly. BUT put the big D in and you will not get Celiac for an answer right off the bat. I searched for years and the only reason I found Celiac was a friend brought it up. I searched for fatigue and tired legs and arms and so on. So the net doesn't always point us in the right direction right away.

nutralady2001 Newbie

Just how long ago was there an "official" disease of Celiac identified? I was diagnosed with "IBS" in 1969, at age 21 but had it from age 12

October this year had to have an endoscopy/colonoscoy because I was very iron deficient and a bowel screening showed blood in both upper and lower GI tracts

All the years and all the doctors I've seen not one thought to do any further investiagtion and went by symptoms only

When I saw the gastroenterologist prior to my scopes I explained all my symptoms etc and the first thing he said was that it wasn't IBS and thought it might be Inflammatory Bowel Disease going by the symptoms

Of course then he did the biopsies when I had the endoscopy and BINGO Celiac Disease

I know that Hashimoto's Disease was discovered in the 1920's by a Japanese doctor and was named after him

Archived