This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ativan/prozac Withdrawl

holdthegluten

holdthegluten Rising Star

I have been taking .5 mg tablet of ativan at night to help me sleep for about a year. I want to quit takng them, and last night i skipped the dose and had a horrible time trying to sleep (racing mind). What is a good way to come off the small dose i am taking? Anything i could take to help me sleep and relax? I am also weaning offof 10mg of prozac that i was taking for the past 3 months. Any advice on how to minimize discomfort while coming off of these?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

It may not be wise to try weaning yourself off two addictive meds at the same time. I think the Prozac should go first, and the sleep aid when you have beat the Prozac addiction. Because the Ativan will help you sleep when you are withdrawing from the Prozac.

Take it very slow, or you will have awful withdrawal symptoms. Buy a pill cutter if you don't already have one, and eliminate something like 1/4 of a pill a week. I wouldn't dare go faster than that.

• 2 years later...
cheapy89 Newbie

The Open Original Shared Link phrase works on two distinct planes; the internet and non prescription medication. But, we are fusing the phrase so that it means something and we can use the constituent parts of the phrase to create an idea. The concept of

ang1e0251 Contributor

Dr. Carolyn Dean wrote about Ativan and magnesium defiency on her blog today. You can read the short piece on her website. Magnesium will help you as you withdraw and going forward.

• 2 months later...
ranger Enthusiast

Wish I had seen this post earlier but here goes. 20 plus years ago, I was having some problems with anxiety and my Doc prescribed ativan, a fairly new drug. I specifically asked him if they were addictive because I wouldn't take anything like that, and he assured me that they were not, so I started taking them. I took them for about a year as prescribed. Then one day I thaught I don't really need these anymore, so I stopped taking them. Within 24 hours, I was convulsive and felt like I was going to die. I asked my husband to call the pharmisist ( not the Doc), and he told him to give me a drink and get a refill asap. So, I was back on an addictive drug. I knew I needed help, so I checked into a rehab facility. But, I was so addicted, that I snuck in some ativan "just in case". After a week of this, I knew I was lieing to myself and to them. So I left. It took about 3 months of gradually and slowly reducing the dose, but I finally got off them. And people wonder why I don't trust Docs!

The above advice is good. Start with the prozac , and then slowly wean yourself off the ativan and buy yourself a PDR. Hope you succeed. Keep us posted.

Archived