• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Swimming Question

14 posts in this topic

Lately i have started doing alot of swimming and just wondering if there are any problems with swimming pool water and stuff they put in the water?

I also go in the sauna and jacuzzi but cant see much problem with these.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

To my knowledge, there is no problem. To be honest, I had never thought of that! I have been in swimming pools without any problems.

Hi

To my knowledge there is not problem.

Just have lots of fun.

Best regards to you.

Swimming shouldn't be a problem. You may however want to be extra careful if you're in a pool with a poolside bar, especially if they allow beverages in the pool.

Swimming shouldn't be a problem. You may however want to be extra careful if you're in a pool with a poolside bar, especially if they allow beverages in the pool.

HA HA, over here in the UK it'll never happen

Thanks for the response tho

Ads by Google:

No problems from a gluten standpoint ... chlorine is toxic ... I have a whole house purifier on my house to remove the chlorine, yet I still swim in the summer. :blink:

Lately i have started doing alot of swimming and just wondering if there are any problems with swimming pool water and stuff they put in the water?

I also go in the sauna and jacuzzi but cant see much problem with these.

Aside from the health issues with chlorine, there shouldn't be a problem with pools. If anything, I'd be wondering about hot tubs, because of all the stuff that ends up in the water (sunscreens, lotions, etc).

Michelle

Aside from the health issues with chlorine, there shouldn't be a problem with pools. If anything, I'd be wondering about hot tubs, because of all the stuff that ends up in the water (sunscreens, lotions, etc).

Michelle

There shouldnt be any trouble with lotion etc because the pool is indoors

There'd still be the question of the regular - non-sunscreen - lotions people may have put on before coming to the hot tub. But it's not something that I would worry about - again, from a dosing perspective and likelihood perspective. The chemicals themselves - even those that are not chlorine - I can't imagine having wheat, for purely chemical reasons.

All the stuff that people put on their skin ends up in the water. From the perspective of gluten, it's probably a big non-issue. For me, it's the yuck factor. Apparently any foaming that happens in a hot tub is because of the lotions, etc that people introduce to the water. That's why you're supposed to shower before entering a public pool or hot tub...it removes lotions, oils, etc. :)

Michelle

What if you are in a swimming pool in which other swimmers are using lotions with gluten in it?

What if you are in a swimming pool in which other swimmers are using lotions with gluten in it?

I had the same thought this season. Didn't notice a reaction. So good so far?

I work at a pool and love the hot tub. ;-)

The chemicals in the pools breakdown things like lotion, sweat, etc. Hot tubs tend to have the highest concentration, mostly because bacteria loves heat and people sweat in the hot tub. It is usually recommended that you never put your head underwater in a hot tub.

Our pools do have some chlorine but they also use an ozone based system (ozone doesn't stay in the water) that also uses a lot of salt (plain old baking soda).

Gluten has to be ingested - I would think if someone dumped a cup of flour in our main pool you would still be ok - it is constantly filtering and contains a million gallons of water...it would be quite diluted and constantly getting more diluted over time.

I have been swimming most of my life and I have not had any problems.