This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For Gluten-free Restaurants Etc. In Ireland And Denmark

Rusla

Rusla Enthusiast

Well, my sister and I have decided to go to Ireland and maybe fly over to Copenhagen Denmark for a few days in September, So if anyone has been to these places or knows if they have a Celiac Association that I can contact and get information. My sister is fine but I need to find stuff for me.

I have decided to make some dehydrated fruit and chicken jerky to take with me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice

Rusla, I found this for you for Denmark:

Open Original Shared Link

There's a restaurant text and a list of shops, and a list of relevant words in English-Danish, etc.

If you need a translation of something on the site, just ask, I can read danish reasonably well (it's close enough to swedish).

I really like Copenhagen, and Danish people are very friendly...well worth a visit. :)

Pauliina

georgiagirl Rookie
Well, my sister and I have decided to go to Ireland and maybe fly over to Copenhagen Denmark for a few days in September, So if anyone has been to these places or knows if they have a Celiac Association that I can contact and get information. My sister is fine but I need to find stuff for me.

I have decided to make some dehydrated fruit and chicken jerky to take with me.

Rusia,

If you are in Dublin, try Cornucopia (amazing restaurant) on Wicklow Street and Cafe Fresh at Powerscourt. Both are in easy walking distance if you are in Dublin City Center and have lots of gluten-free options.

Just a couple of doors down from Cornucopia is Nourish, a great health food store that sells gluten free foods. Check out their other locations at: Open Original Shared Link

There's a chemist (i.e pharmacy) near McDonald's on Grafton Street that also has gluten-free foods. (also close to Nourish)

Try the Mrs Crumpets cookies - they are amazing and gluten-free and are for sale in lots of places there.

I was pleasently surprised by the availability of gluten free food in Ireland. A lot of the big supermarkets also have a gluten free section. Some small restuarants I ate at had homemade gluten-free bread. There's more awareness in Ireland than in the US.

A word of warning though - the labeling laws are a little different, so read ingredients. I picked up a bag of potato chips - the label said suitable for coelics (i.e. celiacs), but there was wheat listed in the ingredients. I didn't eat them.

Enjoy your trip. You will LOVE Ireland.

Georgia Girl

aikiducky Apprentice

Yep, "suitable for coeliacs" is usually a red flag for me. Ironic...

Pauliina

Rusla Enthusiast
Rusia,

If you are in Dublin, try Cornucopia (amazing restaurant) on Wicklow Street and Cafe Fresh at Powerscourt. Both are in easy walking distance if you are in Dublin City Center and have lots of gluten-free options.

Just a couple of doors down from Cornucopia is Nourish, a great health food store that sells gluten free foods. Check out their other locations at: Open Original Shared Link

There's a chemist (i.e pharmacy) near McDonald's on Grafton Street that also has gluten-free foods. (also close to Nourish)

Try the Mrs Crumpets cookies - they are amazing and gluten-free and are for sale in lots of places there.

I was pleasently surprised by the availability of gluten free food in Ireland. A lot of the big supermarkets also have a gluten free section. Some small restuarants I ate at had homemade gluten-free bread. There's more awareness in Ireland than in the US.

A word of warning though - the labeling laws are a little different, so read ingredients. I picked up a bag of potato chips - the label said suitable for coelics (i.e. celiacs), but there was wheat listed in the ingredients. I didn't eat them.

Enjoy your trip. You will LOVE Ireland.

Georgia Girl

Thanks! This sounds great. I have emailed the Irish Coeliac Association in hopes they can also send me a list. Everyone I have talked to who has been to Ireland has said the same as you have. I am so excited.

Rusla Enthusiast
Rusla, I found this for you for Denmark:

Open Original Shared Link

There's a restaurant text and a list of shops, and a list of relevant words in English-Danish, etc.

If you need a translation of something on the site, just ask, I can read danish reasonably well (it's close enough to swedish).

I really like Copenhagen, and Danish people are very friendly...well worth a visit. :)

Pauliina

Thanks Paulina,

Sad, Danish is my heritage and I can't read or speak it and that is one of the reasons we would like to go there for a couple of days. We have relatives we have never seen over there that i one reason we would like to go there and the other is because we have never been there.

astyanax Rookie

i just got back from dublin and belfast. both northern ireland and the republic have coeliac societies just look it up on google (like 'coeliac' and 'ireland'). in dublin, in temple bar there's a great restaurant called 'fitzer's' and their menu is clearly labelled. there's also a placed called 'FXB' like a steak place near the river, they are really good with coeliac too.

in belfast, by city hall, there's a restaurant called 'ten square grill'. it won an award for being the best restaurant in ireland! and they are very helpful with coeliac and the food/atmosphere is great.

when i was in ireland another time traveling all over i got a list of gluten-free restaurants from the coeliac society and that was really helpful if you're going to be all over. but also don't be afraid to just ask any restaurant - it's fairly well known there! enjoy!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived