This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Gain After Diagnosis

MJS

MJS Rookie

I was diagnosed last summer, and after starting the diet I immediately began gaining weight. It was strange because for the last two years before I was diagnosed, I had been losing weight steadily.

All of a sudden, over a course of two months, I gained almost 20 pounds. It has been a year since the diagnosis, and I have only been able to lose 10 of the pounds.

Did this happen to anyone else? What did you do?

I have been eating healthy food and maintained a good excercise regimen. I wish my body would just go back to normal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cmom Contributor

I have been fighting the same problem for the past 2 years. I go to a personal trainer once a week, exercise, am positively gluten-free, and honestly feel like I do not eat excessively. At this time, I weigh the most I ever have in my life. I must be absorbing everything I look at! I still have the bloating and spent 30 minutes a couple weeks ago trying on clothes before I could find something that fit. I was in tears by that time. I am miserable!

bsb6 Newbie

I too was diagnosed last summer and now weigh 20 lbs more than I had. I lost 40 lbs

after hip surgery, that is when the Celiac kicked in, then gained back the 40 + another 20.

You say you want to go back to "normal", but it wasn't normal. That was why you

were losing weight. I too feel like my body grabs every single calorie it take in and

long for the "good old days". I eat better & excersize more than ever, walking about

4 miles 5-6 days a week, which got me out of my osteoperosis.

It is a lot to handle, but your not alone. The support group out here in the western suburbs

of Chicago has a number of people fighting the same battles. There aren't any easy answers.

I'm still so thankful that I didn't have to start this 5-10 years ago, when it had to have been

much more difficult.

Good Luck

maryhult Newbie

[

maryhult Newbie

I understandi your frustration. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago, and since then I've gained about 40 lbs. I'm miserable and am looking for a diet that will help me to shed these extra pounds. I've been trying to use Weight Watchers, but I feel hungry all the time, and have been very unsuccessful. If anyone has any suggestions, please post them. I've got to find a way to get this extra weight off.

Carolyn17 Newbie

Me too ... I have never had a weight problem like I am having now. It is absolutely depressing! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one having this problem.

I was diagnosed about 4 months ago, and almost immediately after starting the diet I started gaining weight. I have gained about 30 lbs so far. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or how much I work out ... I just keep gaining weight. It is very frustrating.

I started taking Alli when it came out a few weeks ago -- but haven't noticed any results yet. :( At this point I would do almost anything to get the extra weight off.

celiac-mommy Collaborator
Me too ... I have never had a weight problem like I am having now. It is absolutely depressing! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one having this problem.

I was diagnosed about 4 months ago, and almost immediately after starting the diet I started gaining weight. I have gained about 30 lbs so far. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or how much I work out ... I just keep gaining weight. It is very frustrating.

I started taking Alli when it came out a few weeks ago -- but haven't noticed any results yet. :( At this point I would do almost anything to get the extra weight off.

What are you all doing to try to lose the weight? If I knew, I could try to help. I'm not a certified nutritionist-so keep that in mind, but I manage my daughter's gluten-free diet and I have set up diet and exercise plans for quite a few people-friends and co-workers. I have a friend and her sister who I have worked with steadily in the past 2 months and they're both doing great and losing weight steadily. Here's my history:

-"normal" physique through childhood and early adulthood

-got married, gained a LOT of weight

-got motivated, lost 20#

-got pregnant, gained 35#

-over the next 2 years, lost 100#!!! kept it off for 1 year

-got pregnant, gained 45#

-lost 50#

-maintained for the last year and am smaller than I was in high school!

If there's anything I can do, I'd be happy to help.

-Rachelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hornbeck0920 Apprentice
What are you all doing to try to lose the weight? If I knew, I could try to help. I'm not a certified nutritionist-so keep that in mind, but I manage my daughter's gluten-free diet and I have set up diet and exercise plans for quite a few people-friends and co-workers. I have a friend and her sister who I have worked with steadily in the past 2 months and they're both doing great and losing weight steadily. Here's my history:

-"normal" physique through childhood and early adulthood

-got married, gained a LOT of weight

-got motivated, lost 20#

-got pregnant, gained 35#

-over the next 2 years, lost 100#!!! kept it off for 1 year

-got pregnant, gained 45#

-lost 50#

-maintained for the last year and am smaller than I was in high school!

If there's anything I can do, I'd be happy to help.

-Rachelle

Could you help me? I've been gluten-free for a month and I don't know how much weight I've gained (or even if I'm a celiac - I'm gluten-free for my baby's sake) but my pants don't fit anymore. I can tell by looking in the mirror from the side that I'm bigger. My belly fat is firmer so maybe it's water weight, but why?

celiac-mommy Collaborator
Could you help me? I've been gluten-free for a month and I don't know how much weight I've gained (or even if I'm a celiac - I'm gluten-free for my baby's sake) but my pants don't fit anymore. I can tell by looking in the mirror from the side that I'm bigger. My belly fat is firmer so maybe it's water weight, but why?

I would be so happy to help! You let me know the easiest way to keep in touch with you and I'm there for you! There are a few things that I will need to know to get started- Current height and weight, activity level, amount of exercise and what type, and a basic weekly schedule-wake, sleep, work, etc... just to give me an idea on where/how to start you. Also are you just gluten-free or are there other restricitons? You can personal message me if you feel more comfortable.

-Rachelle

• 2 weeks later...
cindy lou Newbie

Eating gluten free is certainly necessary for us all, but make sure you are also not missing any other allergies. I highly recommend metabolic typing- it has worked wonders for me and I realized I spent my entire life not only poisoning myself (favorite foods of mac and cheese, pasta, Vienna sausages, etc) but also eating completely wrong for my body. A short little free test is at:

Open Original Shared Link

Try it out and see what you are. I am an extremely strong protein type but my fiancee is a complete carb type! We have double/separate meals most of the time, but soups and flax bread-based pizza work great- you can add whatever suits your body more- veggies and grains or meats/proteins.

PosNrg Newbie

Hi

I also rapidly gained weight after going gluten-free. My Dr.'s response "Well, you have to learn to eat less!" At first I was mad, I thought he was being smart with me, but he went on to explain that for years (even though I was thin) I was actually over eating because my body was demanding it. (The need for nutrients not being properly absorbed) Of course I never felt I was an overeater but this had logic to it. I tried to reduce my portion quantities and snacking (all habits for years). I had always been a person to exercise but I also increased that. I can report that progress is slow but weight is coming off. Hope this helps

PosNrg

• 2 weeks later...
NWLAX36Mom Rookie

I too have been fighting this problem. I am an athlete and have always been lean and muscular. I became gluten freen in February and can hardly fit into clothes that I have worn for years. I miss seeing any definition in my muscles. It is so frustrating!

Lately I have been trying to eat very few refined/processed foods. I'm trying to rely on fresh fruits, vegetables and lean proteins. Hopefully, that will make a difference because I definitely do get enough exercise.

7-cody Apprentice

I'm 6' and only weight 170...

I'd love to gain 30 lbs. Hopefully that'll happen now that I'm starting my gluten-free diet.

Archived