This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Prometheus Lab Test

mommyof2

mommyof2 Newbie

Hi folks, Newbie here - I have visited the board for info but this is my first time posting. I have been followed by a GI for over a year for reflux disease and a swallowing problem. Once we got those symptoms improved I brought up some other digestive problems I had been having with him and had tried gluten-free for a few weeks and had some improvement. He ordered blood tests - one out of the three were positive and did a biopsy with my last endo which was negative. At my last GI visit I told him I was staying mostly gluten-free because I felt better but when I cheat (which I seem to do at least once a week) I can have problems for several days. This time around he ordered the tests by Prometheus Labs which include a 5 marker serology with genetics reflex. He said I didn't have to be consuming gluten because the genetic marker will not be affected by that. I am wondering if it will be a more conclusive test if I am actually eating more gluten. The original blood tests may have been negative because I was mostly gluten free at the time - I had a sandwich the day before thinking I should eat some in case he did the blood test. So the question is should I be eating gluten and for how long before the test? I just took the lab referral home with me so I could post and get some input before I go. 2 of my mom's sister's had celiac's and I think my mom does too so the genetic test will be helpful to convince my mom to be tested.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Hi Im Kaiti and I am 17 and I was actually just diagnosed with Celiac this year. When I first got the test done he said to eat the foods I would normally eat and dont change it because that will affect the outcome of the test. I ate wheat and foods containing gluten for about a week and then after the testing I went off it to make sure. If you are already cheating once a week you will have wheat already in your system so you would be fine to go get your testing done now if you wanted. It does not get out of your system for a while so I think you are fine to get it done now if you need any more info id be happy to help the best I can. :)

mommida Enthusiast

You don't have to consume gluten for the genetic test.

My daughter was diagnosed through this test. My test was negative. Do you have a skin rash of any kind as a symptom of gluten consumption? The doctor is still checking if dermititus herpetiformis is detectable through the gene test.

( It seems the test was supposed to be at least 90% accurate, but now they are saying it can have a 30% failure rate. If that makes sense to you can you explain that to me?)

Laura

Archived